Vinegar Syndrome

Milestone, Flicker Alley, Oscilloscope, Cinema Guild...they're all here.
denti alligator

Re: Vinegar Syndrome

#426 Post by denti alligator » Wed Oct 06, 2021 8:25 pm

OK, I thought maybe one of the titles announced since then could be one.

Glowingwabbit

#427 Post by Glowingwabbit » Wed Oct 06, 2021 9:48 pm

yoloswegmaster wrote:
Wed Oct 06, 2021 8:19 pm
With the mystery UHD title being hinted as being from Hong Kong, I could see it as being 'The Seventh Curse' as it's listed as one of Justin LaLiberty's favourite films on Letterboxd.
Ebola Syndrome is another one on several of his lists that I could see it being as well.
denti alligator wrote:
Wed Oct 06, 2021 8:25 pm
OK, I thought maybe one of the titles announced since then could be one.
Trauma, Creature, and Flesh for Frankenstein have been announced. The others are for October.

criterionsnob

#428 Post by criterionsnob » Thu Oct 07, 2021 5:49 pm

On the latest Criterion Now podcast, Deaf Crocodile revealed that they plan on releasing a box set of Shahram Mokri films (Fish and Cat, Ashkan the Charmed Ring and Other Stories, Invasion, Careless Crime) through their home video partner (Vinegar Syndrome).

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#429 Post by swo17 » Thu Oct 07, 2021 6:52 pm

Awesome! Fish & Cat is sorely needed and Careless Crime is another great one. Haven't seen the others yet

M Sanderson

#430 Post by M Sanderson » Fri Oct 08, 2021 3:53 am

If they’re releasing the Randel/Yuzna Ticks, I wonder if we’ll get to see Yuzna’s Bugs? Also marketed as a Silent Night, Deadly Night sequel (part 4) in some territories, it’s been compared to Yuzna’s Society in some quarters for its paranoid conspiracy story and disgusting FX. Also features Clint Howard.

Probably Bugs isn’t as well liked as Ticks, yet it does belong to a horror franchise and sometimes that can help with home video releases.

dwk

#431 Post by dwk » Fri Oct 08, 2021 8:21 am

That is owned by Lionsgate, who might be doing a set of the Silent Night, Deadly Night sequels they own for their Vestron line.

M Sanderson

#432 Post by M Sanderson » Fri Oct 08, 2021 1:49 pm

Oh I’d be interested in that. Would that include Monte Hellman’s part 3?

dwk

#433 Post by dwk » Fri Oct 08, 2021 2:23 pm

Yeah that is one of them. I should say that a set isn't really rumored beyond Red Shirt Pictures' Michael Felscher saying on Deadpit's YouTube show that Lionsgate has discussed such a set.

M Sanderson

#434 Post by M Sanderson » Sat Oct 09, 2021 10:46 am

Given what they’ve done with Warlock, Waxwork & Wishmaster, you’d say they’re being consistent.

I would definitely be in for this.

Would love to have a Hellman and Yuzna in one purchase!

Also, kind of wish Lionsgate would upgrade some of their Vestron titles to 4k UHD. Sometimes they’re using old masters for the Blu rays. Vinegar Syndrome have shown that even straight to video fare can benefit from the upgrade.

yoloswegmaster

#435 Post by yoloswegmaster » Fri Oct 22, 2021 3:50 pm

The 4K UHD release for Censor has been cancelled and has been replaced by a deluxe bluray-only edition.

Adam X

#436 Post by Adam X » Fri Oct 22, 2021 6:37 pm

While I’m personally waiting to see what Second Sight do with the film, I’d imagine that’s a little disappointing for them, being the first in their VS Pictures line.

dwk

#437 Post by dwk » Fri Oct 22, 2021 7:55 pm

According to John Lyons, Censor's UHD was cancelled because
"As this is gonna come up again, the primary reason we weren’t able to do
UHD was because the film was mastered and finished in 2K SDR.

We had been hoping we could use the additional color information present
in the uncompressed master to create an acceptable HDR conversion, but
it proved too much of an impracticality."

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#438 Post by tenia » Sat Oct 23, 2021 5:06 am

I have to say I wondered why this titles would be chosen for a UHD release precisely because it seemed to make little sense technically wise.

Orlac

#439 Post by Orlac » Sat Oct 23, 2021 5:38 am

dwk wrote:
Fri Oct 08, 2021 8:21 am
That is owned by Lionsgate, who might be doing a set of the Silent Night, Deadly Night sequels they own for their Vestron line.
Ah, Silent Night, Deadly Night 5...starring Mickey Rooney.

The same Mickey Rooney who said of the first film
The scum who made that movie should be run out of town.

MichaelB

#440 Post by MichaelB » Sat Oct 23, 2021 6:23 am

tenia wrote:I have to say I wondered why this titles would be chosen for a UHD release precisely because it seemed to make little sense technically wise.
I saw it in the cinema and it didn’t exactly have “obvious 4K release” written all over it.

(I also thought that it was a substantial disappointment. A strong opening, and a hint in the final few shots that it was about to swerve into genuinely intriguing territory - a hope that the end credits swiftly quashed - but the rest was thoroughly meh. And after this and Saint Maud there really should be a moratorium on David Lynch-style soundtrack rumbling to denote a sense of dread; it’s become one of the laziest horror-film clichés.)

M Sanderson

#441 Post by M Sanderson » Wed Oct 27, 2021 4:07 pm

Orlac wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 5:38 am
dwk wrote:

Hellman, Yuzna & Rooney - some pedigree there, and reason enough to justify a Blu-ray set!

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#442 Post by domino harvey » Wed Oct 27, 2021 4:29 pm

Orlac wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 5:38 am
dwk wrote:

I hope they use that as a pullquote!

Orlac

#443 Post by Orlac » Thu Oct 28, 2021 12:23 am

I suppose Part 5 was "Van Johnson good" enough for him.

The Elegant Dandy Fop

#444 Post by The Elegant Dandy Fop » Fri Oct 29, 2021 2:33 pm

Vinegar Syndrome in their latest e-mail about their Black Friday releases mentions that the unannounced UHD/Blu is one of the "most infamous such films in its category". I'm guessing that the use of category is a deliberate reference to category III films. Hoping it is Ebola Syndrome or one of the numerous films by Billy Tang.

beamish14

#445 Post by beamish14 » Fri Oct 29, 2021 3:10 pm

The Elegant Dandy Fop wrote:
Fri Oct 29, 2021 2:33 pm
Vinegar Syndrome in their latest e-mail about their Black Friday releases mentions that the unannounced UHD/Blu is one of the "most infamous such films in its category". I'm guessing that the use of category is a deliberate reference to category III films. Hoping it is Ebola Syndrome or one of the numerous films by Billy Tang.
I just bought a bootleg of Run and Kill, so you're all welcome.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#446 Post by domino harvey » Tue Nov 02, 2021 5:14 pm

VS is partnering with another (new?) label, “Saturn’s Core Audio & Video” for a Blu of Dupieux’s Au poste!

dwk

#447 Post by dwk » Tue Nov 02, 2021 5:24 pm

They have released a few titles from Saturn's Core. Au poste! does sound a bit outside of SC's mission statement
Saturn's Core Audio & Video is a New Jersey based home video label devoted to releasing underground oddities and shot on video cinema on VHS, and now, blu-ray discs! In partnership with OCN Distribution, Saturn's Core will exhume forgotten or under-seen genre cinema from the 80s and 90s, with an emphasis on SOV horror features. Vinegar Syndrome’s sister company, OCN Distribution, is thrilled to be representing this diverse and unique home video line!

PfR73

#448 Post by PfR73 » Tue Nov 02, 2021 5:47 pm

Au poste! is from a different label, Dekanalog: "Dekanalog is a film and soundtrack distribution company dedicated to the release of the most unique filmmaking voices and musical scores from around the world. Vinegar Syndrome’s sister company, OCN Distribution, is thrilled to be representing this diverse and unique home video line!"

I'm thrilled for this release, it's my favorite Dupieux film I've seen. I just re-watched it on Tubi a couple months ago after watching Bertrand Blier's Buffet Froid for the first time and being reminded of Au poste! by the tone & setting. I was curious if Buffet Froid was a direct influence on Dupieux/Au poste! and sure enough.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#449 Post by domino harvey » Tue Nov 02, 2021 6:23 pm

Thanks for the correction, Blu-ray.com’s formatting on their news story was confusing

Glowingwabbit

#450 Post by Glowingwabbit » Sat Nov 06, 2021 3:05 pm

Listened to Rachael Nisbet's insightful commentary on Nothing Underneath who talks about it being one of the first Gialli shot with live sound and since none of the principal cast were Italian it was actually recorded in English.