Identify This Movie

A subforum to discuss film culture and criticism both old and new, as well as memorializing public figures we've lost.
The Fanciful Norwegian

Re: Identify This Movie

#1301 Post by The Fanciful Norwegian » Mon Jan 04, 2021 3:43 pm

I think the red text at the top left says "Trio." I can't make out any of the blue text next to it. Perhaps "Trio" is the name of the distributor, but a Google search (using both the English spelling and the kana version "トリオ"—I'm guessing the movie is Japanese but correct me if I'm wrong) doesn't turn up anything. The image on the box looks like something out of a stop-motion film, so maybe a Rankin/Bass special?

knives

#1302 Post by knives » Mon Jan 04, 2021 5:41 pm

It’s definitely not Rankin Bass. The style is different from all their movies

Swift

#1303 Post by Swift » Mon Jan 04, 2021 7:43 pm

What movie is the still itself from?

diamonds

#1304 Post by diamonds » Mon Jan 04, 2021 7:46 pm

Swift wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 7:43 pm
What movie is the still itself from?
An Autumn's Tale (1987)

Rayon Vert
Green is the Rayest Color

#1305 Post by Rayon Vert » Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:33 pm

I spent a lot of time on the internet trying to find that image, with no luck. I'm reading "X ' mas Presents", so knowing now it's a Hong Kong film I'm thinking it's probably a bootleg dvd.

Swift

#1306 Post by Swift » Tue Jan 05, 2021 12:01 am

I also spent quite a bit of time this afternoon searching the internet to no avail (I enjoy this stuff though) The movie is set in the US too so could be American. It may not even be a movie, might just be a postcard or something of that sort. None of them actually look VHS sized.

knives

#1307 Post by knives » Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:07 am

My google impression is that it’s supposed to be a compilation VHS or Beta.

ianthemovie

#1308 Post by ianthemovie » Tue Jan 05, 2021 12:03 pm

In Let Them All Talk there's a scene where Gemma Chan is talking to Lucas Hedges about a screwball farce in which a woman has a one-night stand with a man who she doesn't realize is a lowly bartender. She says the bartender is played by a famous comedian. Any guesses as to what this could be?

Pavel

#1309 Post by Pavel » Sat Jan 09, 2021 6:42 pm

I remember next to nothing, so probably no point in asking, but: a couple of hours ago a film I must've seen when I was very young (presumably more than once) popped into my mind. It involved swordfighting but I can't remember when it was set or whether the characters were viking, knights, etc. They had big beards, I think? Aside from random shots (and a very dark color palette), the only scene i concretely remember is when one man killed another with a shield (I think they weren't enemies, one just really annoyed the other – his superior in command – but I could be mistaken). Probably came out somewhere in the 2000s. Ring any bells?

JakeB

#1310 Post by JakeB » Sat Jan 16, 2021 8:10 am

Hey this is a long shot, but I'm looking for this film,
I saw it at a film festival around 2008-2015 maybe and really enjoyed it, and somehow I managed to find it again afterwards and forget about it.
It's European, possibly Scandinavian and is in black and white.
It's kind of absurd dark comedy about a guys life unravelling.
In one scene, a homeless guy interrupts a family whilst they are having a meal at home. They are sat near a big window and he slams against the window possibly?
another scene takes place in a club, on the stage a noise rock/psychedelic rock band are playing (I thought Red Krayola, but I think it's a newer band, 90s possibly) and I feel like a well known singer is fronting them? I searched Nick Cave, Iggy Pop, Tom Waits but I couldn't find the film searching for credits, they could possibly just be not credited though.

Sorry: I solved it myself! Doh!: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1247696/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

Lemmy Caution

#1311 Post by Lemmy Caution » Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:26 am

I was thinking that sounded like The Temptation of St. Tony.
I really liked the opening 20 minutes of that film.
Could be a good short film on its own.
I don't recall the concert scene, but after the brilliant opening the film was kind of forgettable, imo.

westlemania

#1312 Post by westlemania » Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:09 pm

Does anybody know what movie the image from the dvd cover of Eryk Rocha’s documentary Cinema Novo is from? I was watching the film last night and saw clips from it but it never said what film it was taken from. Any ideas?

brundlefly

#1313 Post by brundlefly » Sun Feb 21, 2021 6:24 pm

westlemania wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:09 pm
Does anybody know what movie the image from the dvd cover of Eryk Rocha’s documentary Cinema Novo is from? I was watching the film last night and saw clips from it but it never said what film it was taken from. Any ideas?
Carlos Diegues' Os Herdeiros.