506 Dillinger is Dead

Discuss DVDs and Blu-rays released by Criterion and the films on them. If it's got a spine number, it's in here. Threads may contain spoilers.
knives

Re: 506 Dillinger is Dead

#101 Post by knives » Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:06 pm

Maybe you're just really unlucky? I've never had a problem with my disc and I'm sure if this was a wide thing someone would have brought it up before.

rrenault

#102 Post by rrenault » Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:12 pm

I mean there must be a problem if it's happened to me twice with two different discs. Perhaps you play it on a computer with a different program. It's not a popular title, and I doubt they sold that many copies, so it may have just been an issue that slipped through. Walkabout was also defective, but that's a much more popular film and it was defective on TV blu ray players, whereas this may just be defective with a certain DVD player program with a certain computer model and nothing else. In the case of Walkabout, there was no way that would have slipped through the cracks whereas it's possible with a much less popular title like Dillinger Is Dead, especially if it may just be defective when played with a certain program on a certain computer.

rrenault

#103 Post by rrenault » Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:14 pm

Also, maybe you do have a MacBook Pro but a different one from the one I have, and that could explain why you've never had bad luck with it.

knives

#104 Post by knives » Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:01 pm

I have never even owed a mac. I've only used DVD players for that disc.

rrenault

#105 Post by rrenault » Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:06 pm

Well that's what I'm saying. It may only have problems being played on a mac WITH A CERTAIN PROGRAM. The Walkabout blu ray, which obviously wouldn't slip through the cracks since it's a more popular film, only had problems playing in certain players but not others.

ellipsis7

#106 Post by ellipsis7 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:57 am

Picked DILLINGER up recently and found it really intriguing, prompting the further pursuit of Ferreri's 1972 LA CAGNA (LIZA) with Mastroianni & Deneuve, available from Amazon.it in an English subbed edition on the excellent Minerva Classic label...

Only 1 review to be found so far. from Lisa Alspector in the Chicago Reader, but bizarrely tantalising nonetheless...
Liza
After his dog dies an artist living on a deserted island adopts a new pet: a woman who acts like a dog. I couldn't tell whether this multilayered 1972 allegory about gender roles and political philosophy was intended primarily to be campy or earnest, but the movie's caginess is part of what makes it so interesting. In a pointed close-up we see a barrelful of doll parts in the artist's shack; just when things are about to get sexual, the woman breaks the mood to ask what he does with them—a symbolist irony I found hilarious. Director Marco Ferreri, Ennio Flaiano, and Jean-Claude Carriere wrote the screenplay based on a story by Flaiano; with Marcello Mastroianni and Catherine Deneuve. By Lisa Alspector

feihong

#107 Post by feihong » Tue Dec 01, 2020 4:43 am

I received the CG Entertainment blu ray of Dillinger Is Dead in the mailbox, delivered it to my blu-ray player, and sat there amazed by the quality. The disc has a statement saying that the transfer comes from a new 4k remaster; it shows. There is nice, visible grain at all times, with depth of field that looks really tight, even in the longest of long shots. The remaster is done with very clean white values. The color seems to be very authentic, not tampered with and turned yellow. It looks just breathtaking.

The disc has no English subtitles, but man, it is great. I hope Criterion gets this transfer at some point.