Awards Season 2020

A subforum to discuss film culture and criticism both old and new, as well as memorializing public figures we've lost.
Post Reply
Message
Author
User avatar
aox
Joined: Fri Jun 20, 2008 12:02 pm
Location: nYc

Re: Awards Season 2020

#276 Post by aox » Sun Apr 11, 2021 7:41 pm

Will any of you recommend, The Mole Agent? It's one of the only nominated films I haven't seen this year, and given the trailer, I am not exactly enthusiastic due to its artifice.

User avatar
diamonds
Joined: Sun Apr 24, 2016 2:35 pm

Re: Awards Season 2020

#277 Post by diamonds » Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:31 pm

aox wrote:
Sun Apr 11, 2021 7:41 pm
Will any of you recommend, The Mole Agent? It's one of the only nominated films I haven't seen this year, and given the trailer, I am not exactly enthusiastic due to its artifice.
I caught it on public television a few weeks ago and found it quite moving. The artifice is definitely played up in the trailer; if my memory serves it's really only there for the setup with the private investigator and isn't present once the film gets to the nursing home. The man at the center is an interesting and engaging character, and it's not very often you get to see people this old interacting this way on screen.

User avatar
lacritfan
Life is one big kevyip
Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2007 6:39 pm
Location: Los Angeles

Re: Awards Season 2020

#278 Post by lacritfan » Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:41 pm


User avatar
Black Hat
Joined: Thu Nov 24, 2011 5:34 pm
Location: NYC

Re: Awards Season 2020

#279 Post by Black Hat » Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:47 am

knives wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:04 am
therewillbeblus wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:52 am
You might think so, but that’s not why it won

Even without Iran being awful
WOW, really?

I would like to point out that being Iranian anything or connected to Iranian anything does not give anyone or anything an advantage. Trust me, I wish it did.

User avatar
therewillbeblus
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2015 3:40 pm

Re: Awards Season 2020

#280 Post by therewillbeblus » Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:17 pm

knives was misremembering the context, which was Trump's Muslin ban, so less of a situation where an Iranian was given an "advantage" for being Iranian, and more of an opportunity for elitist Hollywood liberals to pat themselves on the back for supporting a statement against oppression that violated their politics.

User avatar
knives
Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2008 6:49 pm

Re: Awards Season 2020

#281 Post by knives » Wed Apr 14, 2021 2:50 pm

therewillbeblus wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:17 pm
knives was misremembering the context, which was Trump's Muslin ban, so less of a situation where an Iranian was given an "advantage" for being Iranian, and more of an opportunity for elitist Hollywood liberals to pat themselves on the back for supporting a statement against oppression that violated their politics.
Specifically I was mixing up the controversies that occurred with A Separation and this film which is a bad mistake on my part admittedly.

A second point though is I hope it was clear is was referring to the government of Iran and not the Persian people.

User avatar
Black Hat
Joined: Thu Nov 24, 2011 5:34 pm
Location: NYC

Re: Awards Season 2020

#282 Post by Black Hat » Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:59 pm

TWBB - I think you'rer over emphasizing how much of what I think you're saying matters. Toni Erdmann's not a movie for everyone, I know a lot of people who weren't fans, a few openly hostile to it. The Salesman isn't the kind of movie many will love, but nobody will hate it either and as we know with the foreign film category, once someone wins, they win again and again.

Knives - I hear you. Just hit me wrong, probably cause my expectation for this place is so high.

User avatar
therewillbeblus
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2015 3:40 pm

Re: Awards Season 2020

#283 Post by therewillbeblus » Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:42 pm

Uh Black Hat, I think you're misinterpreting the intention of my post. I wasn't indicating that you should care about my initial argument, or that I believed that you did by what little you wrote (..what?), but I was responding to your point about Iranians not having advantages and clarifying that Iranians having intrinsic advantages wasn't the meaning of "that's not why it won," which is what you had quoted from me before making said statement. I don't care if you or people you know liked Toni Erdmann or not, but can't for the life of me figure out what in my response indicated that I did. I'll certainly think twice about clarifying one of my posts when quoted in one of yours again tho, but I did so cause my expectation for this place is that this is acceptable, even customary, behavior that can be exercised without a reactionary egocentric retort. I don't think that's so high.

User avatar
Black Hat
Joined: Thu Nov 24, 2011 5:34 pm
Location: NYC

Re: Awards Season 2020

#284 Post by Black Hat » Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:31 am

I thought the whole thrust of your tangent was suggesting The Salesman won over Toni Erdmann 'solely' to be politically chic which, in this context means, identity? Whatever it was, I did use the word 'think' twice precisely because I wasn't sure what your point was.

My reply to what I quoted was intended for Knives, I figured that was clear.

What I wrote below that was a general response to the back and forth, intended for any reader who may actually think The Salesman won an Oscar because the libs wanted to make themselves feel less bad for the way a group of people are treated.

User avatar
therewillbeblus
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2015 3:40 pm

Re: Awards Season 2020

#285 Post by therewillbeblus » Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:28 am

I did say "solely" initially but if you had continued reading, in the ensuing conversation I admitted it was obviously liked for other reasons too, but just not as the overarching reason for its win in my view. A film can skyrocket to a win due to political motivations and also be well-liked, and I don't think it was a ridiculous position to make that the former could be the majority of that reason.

Your reply wasn't clearly intended only for knives, because you responded to knives' quip with only a two-word interjection out of context and then you wrote a longer sentence about Iranians not having advantage which was not in reference to what you quoted from him- as he was saying that the film did not have advantages- but could have been to mine (and now seems suspiciously even more likely, since you -just now- incorrectly assumed my point was about identity and your sentence for the "general reader" was to push back against that point, so tell me again you weren't responding to me or that clarification wasn't warranted?)

So yeah, thanks for clarifying that your last/only sentence was for the "general reader" and not in response to a post you quoted before writing it, but I maintain that such a clarification was not out of line, and for you to decipher that clarification as a desperate attempt to convince you still boggles my mind. It doesn't matter what you thought of the thrust of my point pages back in this thread, because never did I 'overemphasize what you think I was saying matters.' I mean, what does that even look like..

User avatar
lacritfan
Life is one big kevyip
Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2007 6:39 pm
Location: Los Angeles

Re: Awards Season 2020

#286 Post by lacritfan » Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:29 pm


User avatar
domino harvey
Dot Com Dom
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2006 2:42 pm

Re: Awards Season 2020

#287 Post by domino harvey » Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:03 pm

And “The Father” was truly moving and had imaginative production design, but I read a review that called it “ruthless,” and that felt exactly right. And I can’t have a ruthless movie win best picture.

User avatar
Pavel
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2020 2:41 pm

Re: Awards Season 2020

#288 Post by Pavel » Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:51 pm

See, those ballots sway me in Hopkins' direction. They're only a small handful of voters, but to me this indicates that the support for Boseman isn't quite that large and that Hopkins is more widely beloved. Plus The Father is being much more talked about than Ma Rainey, and the Academy clearly responded to it a lot more

User avatar
Brian C
I hate to be That Pedantic Guy but...
Joined: Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:58 am
Location: Chicago, IL

Re: Awards Season 2020

#289 Post by Brian C » Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:53 pm

Man, these are just insane. For example:
Picture: This is such a stacked category this year.

User avatar
The Elegant Dandy Fop
Joined: Thu Dec 09, 2004 3:25 am
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Re: Awards Season 2020

#290 Post by The Elegant Dandy Fop » Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:22 pm

Proof that Hollywood is ran by sickos.

User avatar
therewillbeblus
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2015 3:40 pm

Re: Awards Season 2020

#291 Post by therewillbeblus » Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:34 pm

This is between Riz Ahmed and Anthony Hopkins for me. Both performances were deeply moving and satisfying and had so many layers. I think I’m going to go with Riz, though. That was a role well outside of many of his comfort zones — being a metal drummer and being deaf — and he completely nailed it.
So by this logic, does the voter think Hopkins has dementia?

User avatar
The Narrator Returns
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:35 pm

Re: Awards Season 2020

#292 Post by The Narrator Returns » Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:36 pm

Riz Ahmed:
- Not a metal drummer
- Not deaf

Anthony Hopkins:
- Doesn't have dementia
- Is a father

That's 2 vs. 1, simple math dictates that Ahmed wins.

User avatar
lacritfan
Life is one big kevyip
Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2007 6:39 pm
Location: Los Angeles

Re: Awards Season 2020

#293 Post by lacritfan » Sat Apr 17, 2021 10:08 am


User avatar
soundchaser
Leave Her to Beaver
Joined: Sun Aug 28, 2016 12:32 am

Re: Awards Season 2020

#294 Post by soundchaser » Sat Apr 17, 2021 11:59 pm

Ok, ready to make my predictions:

Best Picture
Nomadland

Best Director
Chloé Zhao

Best Actor
Chadwick Bozeman

Best Actress
Carey Mulligan

Best Supporting Actor
Daniel Kaluuya

Best Supporting Actress
Yuh-jung Youn

Best Animated Feature
Soul

Best Adapted Screenplay
Nomadland

Best Original Screenplay
Promising Young Woman

Best Original Song
Húsavik

Best Original Score
Soul

Best Sound
Sound of Metal

Best Costume Design
Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom

Best Animated Short
If Anything Happens I Love You

Best Live-Action Short
Two Distant Strangers

Best Cinematography
Nomadland

Best Documentary
My Octopus Teacher

Best Documentary Short
A Love Song for Latasha

Best Editing
Sound of Metal

Best International Feature
Another Round

Best Makeup and Hairstyling
Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom

Best Production Design
Mank

Best Visual Effects
Tenet

Sort of a chalk bracket, but I really think most of these are settled and hope a few of my wilder guesses for the smaller categories pay off.

User avatar
therewillbeblus
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2015 3:40 pm

Re: Awards Season 2020

#295 Post by therewillbeblus » Sun Apr 18, 2021 12:20 am

Yeah my predictions are going to be almost exactly the same- someone’s gotta guess the Borat 2 upset for Adapted Screenplay, we’ll see how wild I feel by next weekend

User avatar
soundchaser
Leave Her to Beaver
Joined: Sun Aug 28, 2016 12:32 am

Re: Awards Season 2020

#296 Post by soundchaser » Sun Apr 18, 2021 12:24 am

I have it in second place on my GoldDerby predictions, so I won’t really complain if you’re right.

User avatar
Pavel
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2020 2:41 pm

Re: Awards Season 2020

#297 Post by Pavel » Sun Apr 18, 2021 5:17 am

I managed to see every film nominated in any category, so alongside my predictions I'll post who I'd vote for, even though nobody asked:
as to not take up so much spaceShow
BEST PICTURE
Nomadland
My pick: This one's pretty tough. Mank is probably my favorite and the one I see myself revisiting most often, but it's also a very boring choice for BP. Maybe Sound of Metal, though I'm happy that Nomadland is looking like such a clear winner.

BEST DIRECTOR
Cloé Zhao
My pick: Cloé Zhao

BEST ACTOR
Anthony Hopkins (I think I've already explained some of my reasons — in short, I think The Father came out at the right time, people love Hopkins, Ma Rainey underperformed wildly, the BAFTA path was Olivia Colman' way to victory, now that an awards body has given an award to him Oscar voters might feel more comfortable picking him instead, anonymous ballots show a lot of love for him and not so much for Chadwick)
My pick: Hopkins or Ahmed, with perhaps an edge given to Ahmed, but right now I hope Hopkins wins, because I have 30 bucks bet on him, which will hopefully result in a profit of 255. Also, I would throw out Oldman and put in Tahar Rahim.

BEST ACTRESS
Carey Mulligan (this is a fun category, but I'll go with Mulligan, partly because of the anonymous ballots, partly because I think Andra Day and Viola Davis might split the votes of people that like showy real-life singer performances or want to vote for a black actress, partly because she likely would've won BAFTA if not for that jury rule; that rule at least resulted in Quo Vadis, Aida? getting a Director nom, so I can't be too mad)
My pick: Frances McDormand or Vanessa Kirby

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR
Daniel Kaluuya
My pick: Great picks here. I'll probably go with Paul Raci. I love Leslie Odom, Jr. but hopefully he'll win an Oscar in a different category. But I'm fine with Kaluuya winning — he managed to show both Hampton's more intimate and human moments, as well as his larger-than-life speeches.

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS
Yuh-jung Youn
My pick: Being Bulgarian, I have a clear bias toward Bakalova and she's one that I'd be most excited to see win. But if I'm honest with myself, I think Youn gave the best perf.

BEST ANIMATED FEATURE
Soul
My pick: Soul

BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY
Promising Young Woman
My pick: Sound of Metal

BEST ADAPTED SCREENPLAY
The Father (the only place we've seen Nomadland go face to face against The Father was the BAFTAs and The Father won; sure, there was probably British bias, but I'll go with the more writer-y [that's not a word, right?] movie)
My pick: The Father. I think Nomadland is great, but not really because of its screenplay. I'd be happy with One Night in Miami, but I think the film takes way too long to become great (but I love the argument so much I'm willing to forgive it).

BEST ORIGINAL SCORE
Soul
My pick: Soul

BEST ORIGINAL SONG
Speak Now (I'm counting on this being Leslie Odom, Jr.'s consolation prize; I think Io Si has a shot because of Diane Warren's overdue narrative. Húsavik is possible and would be a fun choice). (EDIT: Actually changing this to Húsavik. Looks like it has a lot more momentum.)
My pick: I want Leslie to win an Oscar, but I'll also be happy with Húsavik. Just not Io Si!!

BEST SOUND
Sound of Metal
My pick: Sound of Metal obviously

BEST EDITING
Sound of Metal (Chicago 7 just won the Eddie, but I'll stick with the BAFTA winner)
My pick: Sound of Metal or The Father

BEST COSTUME DESIGN
Ma Rainey's Black Bottom
My pick: Pinocchio maybe

BEST MAKEUP AND HAIRSTYLING
Ma Rainey (unless the AMPAS really love Pinocchio)
My pick: Pinocchio (even though the cricket will haunt my nightmares for years to come)

BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY
Nomadland
My pick: Sure, let's go with Nomadland.

BEST ANIMATED SHORT
If Anything Happens I Love You (unless Pixar really is unstoppable and they go with Burrow)
My pick: Opera (but Burrow was very cute)

BEST LIVE-ACTION SHORT
Two Distant Strangers (for the longest time I had The Letter Room because a lot of voters won't even bother to watch these films and will just assume the one with Oscar Isaac is the best; then I remembered Skin and thought that voters might not watch this but vote for it based on synopsis alone, because it's the "important" movie).
My pick: The Letter Room (White Eye would be a fine pick, too)

BEST DOCUMENTARY
My Octopus Teacher (the Oscars often pick something without many precursors here, but Octopus seems to be the clear frontrunner).
My pick: Crip Camp, but I'm not too passionate about any of these

BEAT DOCUMENTARY SHORT
A Love Song for Latasha
My pick: I didn't like any of them.

BEST INTERNATIONAL FEATURE
Another Round
My pick: I loved Another Round and The Man Who Sold His Skin was a lot of fun (especially with an audience in a theater), but I think I actually liked Quo Vadis, Aida? more by just a hair.

BEST PRODUCTION DESIGN
Mank
My pick: Mank or The Father

BEST VISUAL EFFECTS
Tenet (Midnight Sky beat Tenet at the Visual Effects Society awards, but I like to assume nobody cares about that dumbass movie or its effects)
My pick: Tenet (even though Love and Monsters had pretty cool monsters; the love wasn't that cool).
Last edited by Pavel on Sat Apr 24, 2021 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
therewillbeblus
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2015 3:40 pm

Re: Awards Season 2020

#298 Post by therewillbeblus » Thu Apr 22, 2021 5:31 pm

Alright, here goes.. My predictions:

Best Picture
The Trial of the Chicago 7

Best Director
Chloé Zhao

Best Actor
Chadwick Boseman

Best Actress
Carey Mulligan

Best Supporting Actor
Daniel Kaluuya

Best Supporting Actress
Yuh-jung Youn

Best Animated Feature
Wolfwalkers

Best Adapted Screenplay
The Father

Best Original Screenplay
Promising Young Woman

Best Original Song
“Speak Now”

Best Original Score
Soul

Best Sound
Sound of Metal

Best Costume Design
Emma

Best Animated Short
If Anything Happens I Love You

Best Live-Action Short
Two Distant Strangers

Best Cinematography
Mank

Best Documentary
My Octopus Teacher

Best Documentary Short
A Love Song for Latasha

Best Editing
The Trial of the Chicago 7

Best International Feature
Another Round

Best Makeup and Hairstyling
Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom

Best Production Design
Mank

Best Visual Effects
Tenet

User avatar
Pavel
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2020 2:41 pm

Re: Awards Season 2020

#299 Post by Pavel » Fri Apr 23, 2021 12:51 am

therewillbeblus wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 5:31 pm
Alright, here goes.. My predictions:
Best Animated Feature
Wolfwalkers
How bold!
Anyway I think Chicago 7 could only win if it gets Original Screenplay, which would be pretty much exactly the Green Book win.

Also, here are the Indie Spirit winners

User avatar
therewillbeblus
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2015 3:40 pm

Re: Awards Season 2020

#300 Post by therewillbeblus » Fri Apr 23, 2021 12:54 am

I think Nomadland is the clear frontrunner for BP, but I'm predicting a year where everyone gets a taste. That may not be what we get, but we'll see.

Post Reply