218 Ishtar

Discuss Blu-rays released by Indicator and the films on them.

Moderator: MichaelB

hearthesilence

Re: 218 Ishtar

#76 Post by hearthesilence » Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:06 am

MichaelB wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:49 am
Ribs wrote:The exact same conversation is available on the Indicator release of The Fortune :).
...which was put together before we knew we’d be handling Ishtar. Had we known at the time, we’d have saved it exclusively for Ishtar, but since it’s overwhelmingly about Ishtar it seemed perverse not to include it.

See also the duplication across The Criminal Code and Convicted (in Columbia Noir #3) of a featurette comparing the two (they were based on the same stage play). There was no particular reason for favouring one over the other, and no reason to assume that purchasers of one would also buy the other, so including it on both made sense.

This sort of thing is very rare - in fact, I can’t think of another example in the Indicator catalogue - but in those two cases it’s clearly justifiable.
That's reasonable to me. I doubt there's a better video out there - May and Nichols together rarely did public discussions like this after 1987, and I doubt any others were primarily about Ishtar, especially with the Iraq War as the context for it. What's the alternative, not including it and leaving more empty space on the disc?

Calvin

#77 Post by Calvin » Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm

A 20-minute interview with Dustin Hoffman and Warren Beatty from 1987

I would guess that this wasn't the only interview they gave at the time but it's certainly the first recorded one that I've came across.

nitin

#78 Post by nitin » Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:09 pm

Major plus points for the Ayoade extra and the Jessica Kiang (one of the best current critics IMHO) :)

allyouzombies

#79 Post by allyouzombies » Sat Apr 17, 2021 12:05 pm

MichaelB wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:56 am
Now available to preorder:
ISHTAR
(Elaine May, 1987)
Release date: 19 July 2021
Limited Edition Blu-ray (UK Blu-ray premiere)

Once the byword for expensive Hollywood failure, Ishtar is slowly – and rightfully – becoming recognised as one of the unsung greats of eighties' American cinema. In a nod to Bob Hope and Bing Crosby Road to… movies, Warren Beatty (Mickey One) and Dustin Hoffman (Straw Dogs) star as brilliantly awful songwriters who find themselves mixed up in Cold War shenanigans whilst in Morocco. Another comedy gem from Elaine May’s sadly small, but utterly perfect directorial career.

INDICATOR LIMITED EDITION BLU-RAY SPECIAL FEATURES

• 2K restoration
• Two presentations of the film: the 1987 Theatrical Cut (107 mins) and the 2013 Director’s Cut (105 mins)
• Original mono soundtrack
• Optional 5.1 surround sound
• Audio commentary with ReFocus: The Films of Elaine May editors Dean Brandum and Alexandra Heller-Nicholas (2021)
Elaine May and Mike Nichols in Conversation (2006): archival video recording of the two friends and collaborators discussing their careers following a retrospective screening of Ishtar at New York’s Walter Reade Theater
• New interview with songwriter Paul Williams (2021)
• New appreciation with actor, comedian and filmmaker Richard Ayoade (2021)
Waiting for Ishtar (2017): Jonathan Crombie and John Mitchell’s charming documentary, featuring interviews with Williams, actors Charles Grodin and Carol Kane, journalists Peter Biskind and David Blum, film critic J Hoberman, and others
• Original theatrical trailer
• Image gallery: promotional and publicity material
• New and improved English subtitles for the deaf and hard-of-hearing
• Limited edition exclusive booklet with a new essay by Jessica Kiang, archival articles and interviews, an overview of contemporary critical responses, and film credits
• UK premiere on Blu-ray
• Limited edition of 3,000 copies
• MORE EXTRAS TO BE ANNOUNCED
• Extras subject to change

#PHILTD218
BBFC cert: 15
REGION B
EAN: 5060697921045
Amazing news. And I love that Indicator always goes the extra mile with bonus features.