Mystery Science Theater 3000

Discuss TV shows old and new.
domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

Re: Mystery Science Theater 3000

#301 Post by domino harvey » Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:50 pm

Why would they when clearly they have an audience that will pony up for them to do it?

Monterey Jack

#302 Post by Monterey Jack » Sat Apr 17, 2021 12:05 am

It just seems like a vicious cycle by this point...get fan-funded, get two seasons out of it, get cancelled, repeat. I love MST3K as much as the next nerd, but maybe the show's creators should find ways to fund it themselves, like they did for eleven years on TV back in the 80s and 90s.

Big Ben

#303 Post by Big Ben » Sat Apr 17, 2021 12:15 am

Monterey Jack wrote:
Sat Apr 17, 2021 12:05 am
It just seems like a vicious cycle by this point...get fan-funded, get two seasons out of it, get cancelled, repeat. I love MST3K as much as the next nerd, but maybe the show's creators should find ways to fund it themselves, like they did for eleven years on TV back in the 80s and 90s.
I think the short and sweet of it is is that TV is more expensive these days and funding these to be put out on a special service is far more feasible. It's a legendary series but that unfortunately doesn't mean much to people who are only in it for the money.

dustybooks

#304 Post by dustybooks » Sat Apr 17, 2021 12:56 am

Also, when MST3K was actually on TV in the ‘90s, it was constantly struggling to stay on the air; after its fifth season there was virtually never any guarantee it was going to survive another year. It didn’t help that the show was always a rights and scheduling nightmare for the networks it was on.

I absolutely love the original series and enjoyed the live show I attended in 2019 but have failed to be charmed at all by the revival show. I do continue to support Joel & co. by picking up the DVDs of the old episodes so more power to the fans who are interested enough to contribute to the new episodes.

Kracker

#305 Post by Kracker » Tue May 11, 2021 9:46 am

The Kickstarter beat the first one, raising $6.5 million, $1 million over the final stretch goal.

Their streaming service they are building with the money, The Gizmoplex, is the way for the show's creators to fund things themselves from now on, via subscriptions rather than depending on a network who can cancel them. And judging by the result of this Kickstarter, there's more than enough MSTies out there to want to pay for new seasons.

Joel didn't rule out returning to Kickstarter in the future to supplement the show and additional content, which Rifftrax does. Rifftrax has a Patreon and does regular Kickstarter drives despite being a much cheaper production yet no one asks why aren't they funding it themselves.