Technical Issues and Questions

Discuss North American DVDs and Blu-rays or other DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

Re: Technical Issues and Questions

#1876 Post by Michael Kerpan » Fri Jan 01, 2021 10:17 pm

Joshua --

Oh, Oppo still exists -- however, it only does things like smartphones and smartwatches now (its a major company in this industry within China).

joshua

#1877 Post by joshua » Fri Jan 01, 2021 10:37 pm

Michael Kerpan wrote:
Fri Jan 01, 2021 10:17 pm
Joshua --

Oh, Oppo still exists -- however, it only does things like smartphones and smartwatches now (its a major company in this industry within China).
Yeah, I should have clarified that Oppo Digital stateside is no longer a thing.

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#1878 Post by Michael Kerpan » Sat Jan 02, 2021 12:07 am

It seems like Oppo isn't interested in selling (or isn't allowed to sell) its current products in the USA. In any event, I wonder how much of a support staff still exists (if any) for its now-dead product lines.

Adam X

#1879 Post by Adam X » Sat Jan 02, 2021 7:55 am

Likely not much. At the time they announced discontinuing production of UHD/BD players (in early 2018), they said they’d keep supporting existing hardware. But I just had a look and even their final UHD players haven’t received a FW update in almost 2 years (not even a year past their press release, which is a shame as they were one of the best for after-sale support).

fdm

#1880 Post by fdm » Sat Jan 02, 2021 2:12 pm

Stateside at least, they are still doing repairs, for now, and still provide online support, for now. But yeah firmware updates are pretty much done with.

boredmedia

#1881 Post by boredmedia » Wed May 05, 2021 12:16 pm

hi, im new to the collection. just like to know how good is the picture quality on the dvd releases compared to the blu rays? i live in asia, i can only buy criterions on amazon, blu rays are too pricey for me

Tim

#1882 Post by Tim » Fri May 14, 2021 7:28 am

Forgive my ignorance if the answer here is obvious, but I was watching The Good Fairy on Blu, said to be from a new 4K scan, and while the print was excellent there were moments when pixels seemed very visible on Margaret Sullavan's face. At other times the picture was perfect. I was puzzled and wondered if a filter had been used in the original cinematography that had somehow been picked up and highlighted by the 4K scan. I was reminded of the moire patterns that used to appear when one made a half-tone reproduction from a half-tone original in my days working in a print shop many years ago.

jsteffe

#1883 Post by jsteffe » Fri May 14, 2021 4:28 pm

Tim wrote:
Fri May 14, 2021 7:28 am
Forgive my ignorance if the answer here is obvious, but I was watching The Good Fairy on Blu, said to be from a new 4K scan, and while the print was excellent there were moments when pixels seemed very visible on Margaret Sullavan's face. At other times the picture was perfect. I was puzzled and wondered if a filter had been used in the original cinematography that had somehow been picked up and highlighted by the 4K scan. I was reminded of the moire patterns that used to appear when one made a half-tone reproduction from a half-tone original in my days working in a print shop many years ago.
Without seeing the film, based on what you are describing it sounds as if the cinematographer put some kind of gauze in front of the lens to diffuse the image for glamour purposes, since it associated with shots of Margaret Sullavan's face. You can see a similar kind of moiré pattern in the opening shot of Hitchcock's MARNIE due to (if I recall correctly) nylon stocking placed over the lens.

filmyfan

#1884 Post by filmyfan » Sun May 16, 2021 6:59 am

Just started getting intermittent black screen on my Panasonic Multi Region Region player - dont even have to be watching anything - just leave it on the Main Menu and it will "blink" for a second or so - happens intermittently but roughly every 15 seconds or so.

Had to recently change the region on the player -wonder if I have upset some other settings somewhere on the machine?

Any Ideas ?

fiddlesticks

#1885 Post by fiddlesticks » Tue May 18, 2021 8:24 pm

I experience a lot of buffering when streaming live TV to my television, especially sports (I have little trouble with shows and films, and oddly enough it never buffers during commercials.) When I stream to a laptop or tablet, it never buffers. I have repeatedly tested my wifi connection, which is more than adequate, currently showing 32Mbps. However, the TV connection speed rates at ~5000 kbps, which I gather is too slow. The TV, which has a built in streaming interface (ie no external device like Roku,) is 3 or 4 years old. Do I need a new tv? Is there another solution?

skilar

#1886 Post by skilar » Wed May 19, 2021 12:03 am

How far is your TV from the wifi source? It sounds like your signal is weak by the time it gets to the TV. Running an ethernet cable directly to the TV would likely help, but depending on your setup, that might not be possible.

fiddlesticks

#1887 Post by fiddlesticks » Wed May 19, 2021 2:05 am

I have checked the signal strength on my tablet at the TV and further away, and it is strong. The router is perhaps 12 feet from the tv. We have no issues with wifi on any other device anywhere in this very small house. In fact, the sole problem we have is streaming Yahoo TV on this television. (That is, streaming Yahoo TV on tablet and laptop work perfectly, as does streaming Amazon Prime on the tv, although I do that only rarely.) Ethernet is not an option with my setup.

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#1888 Post by Michael Kerpan » Wed May 19, 2021 8:41 am

fiddlesticks -- why not try (borrow, buy) a latest generation streaming device before giving up on the TV itself. It's a lot cheaper. ;-)

fiddlesticks

#1889 Post by fiddlesticks » Thu May 20, 2021 2:59 pm

Michael Kerpan wrote:
Wed May 19, 2021 8:41 am
fiddlesticks -- why not try (borrow, buy) a latest generation streaming device before giving up on the TV itself. It's a lot cheaper. ;-)
That seems like sound advice. I'll try that. Thanks!

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#1890 Post by Michael Kerpan » Thu May 20, 2021 5:51 pm

fiddlesticks -- Hope it works!

fiddlesticks

#1891 Post by fiddlesticks » Tue Jun 08, 2021 12:07 am

I think you have solved my problem. Thanks!

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#1892 Post by Michael Kerpan » Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:00 am

Glad I could help!