Joanna Hogg

Discussion and info on people in film, ranging from directors to actors to cinematographers to writers.

Moderator: DarkImbecile

pzadvance

Re: Joanna Hogg

#26 Post by pzadvance » Wed May 17, 2023 5:25 am

Apple has a 4K digital copy of The Eternal Daughter with a Joanna Hogg commentary… might be the best we get for this film?

ianthemovie

#27 Post by ianthemovie » Wed May 17, 2023 8:46 am

Thanks all! Very helpful.

In looking further I also found a pre-order page for The Eternal Daughter up at Amazon.fr, with an August release date. From what I can tell it's bare bones and Region B-locked, but at least it's something. I'm hoping that at some point A24 will put out a nice special edition of this like they've been doing with many of their titles lately.

brundlefly

#28 Post by brundlefly » Wed May 17, 2023 9:27 am

I wish A24 would put some effort behind releases that aren't the handful they feel are either Oscar bait or easy horror crossovers. People like to razz NEON's distribution, but they've managed to get unlikely stuff into multiplexes before reliably taking roost with the rest of their catalog on Hulu.

A24 eeked maybe ten screenings of Showing Up into a local arthouse. I don't think Daughter or either Souvenir chapter played locally. And then they let their second-tier properties languish on VOD without physical releases until they quietly turn up on Showtime (mostly). Had to import Funny Pages. I'd already tempered expectations for God's Creatures, but I think the distributor's working to make me forget it ever existed.

ianthemovie

#29 Post by ianthemovie » Wed May 17, 2023 9:59 am

It's clear that A24 definitely gives priority to hit titles like Everything Everywhere and the horror stuff, the worst example of this being the shameless tie-ins on their online shop like the EEAAO hot-dog fingers and Beau Is Afraid monogrammed pajamas. On the other hand I will say they have put out a fully stacked box set of the two Souvenir films and standard Blu-ray editions of things like Aftersun and Krisha, all of which are more modest titles, so that gives me some hope that they might do something with Eternal Daughter.

criterionsnob

#30 Post by criterionsnob » Wed May 17, 2023 10:04 am

pzadvance wrote:Apple has a 4K digital copy of The Eternal Daughter with a Joanna Hogg commentary… might be the best we get for this film?
Apple Canada had it on sale for $4.99, so I just bought it. It’s only HD here for some reason though.

hearthesilence

#31 Post by hearthesilence » Wed May 17, 2023 12:55 pm

They must have something planned for The Eternal Daughter - they did quite a bit of promotion for it here (even getting executive producer Martin Scorsese to moderate Q&A's with Hogg at two different venues). There probably is less priority because sadly it didn't get any Oscar nominations - without the possibility of an award, they probably put all their resources in the first quarter of this year towards their nominated films to help give them a push (which to be fair paid off big time).

therewillbeblus

#32 Post by therewillbeblus » Wed May 17, 2023 1:53 pm

brundlefly wrote:
Wed May 17, 2023 9:27 am
I wish A24 would put some effort behind releases that aren't the handful they feel are either Oscar bait or easy horror crossovers.
It still boggles my mind that neither A24 nor HBO has come out with Euphoria seasons on blu-ray, considering how popular it is and how much money they’d make. A24 releases everything else Euphoria-related, and HBO has been cranking out 4Ks of single seasons like The Last of Us and Station Eleven this year, so it’s not like they’re averse to this model

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#33 Post by swo17 » Wed May 17, 2023 2:53 pm

It was seven months after Souvenir II's wide release late in 2021 that A24 announced the 2-film Blu-ray set. I'm naively expecting them to announce a trilogy box (since Eternal Daughter is sort of like Souvenir Part III) later this year.

As a side note, in researching this post, I came to find that apparently most people on IMDb hate this movie. I like one reviewer's "pay your grandma a visit. much more exciting!" because they're also saying that they hate their grandma

senseabove

#34 Post by senseabove » Wed May 17, 2023 3:08 pm

If A24 don't get to it in the US, it looks like BFI picked it up in the UK, so maybe we'll get a disc from them around Christmas, since it slots nicely into the tradition of eerie British Christmas stories.

I do hope A24 sells the US poster at some point because I love it so much. I never saw one at any of the theaters that showed it near me, so I don't know if they actually printed any, and I've not seen any pop up on eBay...
SpoilerShow

Matt

#35 Post by Matt » Wed May 17, 2023 3:16 pm

swo17 wrote:It was seven months after Souvenir II's wide release late in 2021 that A24 announced the 2-film Blu-ray set. I'm naively expecting them to announce a trilogy box (since Eternal Daughter is sort of like Souvenir Part III) later this year.
Oh no, please. I already bought the BD-R of the first film and the 2-film set of the first and second. I love Joanna Hogg, but I don’t want to buy the same film on the same format 3 times.

brundlefly

#36 Post by brundlefly » Thu May 18, 2023 6:25 am

therewillbeblus wrote:
Wed May 17, 2023 1:53 pm
brundlefly wrote:
Wed May 17, 2023 9:27 am
I wish A24 would put some effort behind releases that aren't the handful they feel are either Oscar bait or easy horror crossovers.
It still boggles my mind that neither A24 nor HBO has come out with Euphoria seasons on blu-ray, considering how popular it is and how much money they’d make. A24 releases everything else Euphoria-related, and HBO has been cranking out 4Ks of single seasons like The Last of Us and Station Eleven this year, so it’s not like they’re averse to this model
Don't know if the split production duties or HBO's new ownership might be affecting that, but Station Eleven was a Paramount production and is on their label while The Last of Us is a Sony production, though it looks like Warners is distributing the disc.

pzadvance

#37 Post by pzadvance » Mon Aug 21, 2023 9:05 am

The Eternal Daughter now has a French Blu-ray, though it’s missing the commentary from the Apple TV 4K stream as far as i can tell

senseabove

#38 Post by senseabove » Mon Aug 21, 2023 11:40 am

Surely BFI will eventually be giving it a BD…

Matt

#39 Post by Matt » Thu Nov 02, 2023 7:17 pm

And here it is, due January 22:
* Presented in High Definition
* Audio commentary by Joanna Hogg and production designer Stéphane Collonge
* Présages (2023, 11 mins): a short film by Joanna Hogg produced in 2023 for the Centre Pompidou's 'Where do you stand today?' collection
* UK theatrical trailer
* Audio description for the blind and visually impaired
* Other extras TBC
* **FIRST PRESSING ONLY** Illustrated booklet with new writing on the film by Catherine Bray and an essay on Joanna Hogg and her films by Hannah Strong
Why this cover when the film had such a great poster [sigh]

pzadvance

#40 Post by pzadvance » Fri Nov 03, 2023 2:15 pm

Weighing my desire to own this film against my desire to never see that BFI cover again

therewillbeblus

#41 Post by therewillbeblus » Fri Nov 03, 2023 2:20 pm

I like the cover more than I like the movie..

furbicide

#42 Post by furbicide » Sat Dec 09, 2023 5:17 pm

This complete Blu-ray set of her work from the French label Condor Entertainment is out in a couple of days:

https://store.potemkine.fr/dvd/37602725 ... anna-hogg/

brundlefly

#43 Post by brundlefly » Sat Dec 09, 2023 8:11 pm

Her 2023 short "Présages" is streaming at Le Cinéma Club this week.

pzadvance

#44 Post by pzadvance » Sat Dec 09, 2023 9:25 pm

furbicide wrote:This complete Blu-ray set of her work from the French label Condor Entertainment is out in a couple of days:

https://store.potemkine.fr/dvd/37602725 ... anna-hogg/
Wow, I wonder if those will actually be HD transfers of her first two films? Or is the fact that they’re cramming three movies onto one disc a bad sign

criterionsnob

#45 Post by criterionsnob » Mon Dec 18, 2023 1:15 pm

Matt wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2023 7:17 pm
Why this cover when the film had such a great poster [sigh]
The BFI release has thankfully added "Reversible sleeve featuring the US artwork."