Kino Lorber Studio Classics Acquisitions

Milestone, Flicker Alley, Oscilloscope, Cinema Guild...they're all here.
Red Screamer

Re: Kino Lorber Studio Classics Acquisitions

#3676 Post by Red Screamer » Tue Sep 28, 2021 6:51 pm

Great news. I loved the film when I saw it on a lousy bootleg many years ago.

captveg

#3677 Post by captveg » Wed Sep 29, 2021 5:32 pm

More OOP based on previously being in the "While Supplies Last" sale and now no longer appearing on the website:

The Children's Hour (1961) (DVD) (BD previously OOP)
Deranged (1974) (BD)

FrauBlucher

#3678 Post by FrauBlucher » Fri Oct 01, 2021 7:25 pm

announcement hints coming this weekend...
1970s MGM
2000s Universal 4K UHD

hearthesilence

#3679 Post by hearthesilence » Fri Oct 01, 2021 8:07 pm

FrauBlucher wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 7:25 pm
announcement hints coming this weekend...
1970s MGM
2000s Universal 4K UHD
If they mean actual release dates, I guess the latter is probably Eternal Sunshine.

nitin

#3680 Post by nitin » Sat Oct 02, 2021 2:33 am

It should be an announcement for an as yet unrevealed UHD.

dwk

#3681 Post by dwk » Sat Oct 02, 2021 2:32 pm

Savage Sisters (1974) is the 70s MGM announcement.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#3682 Post by swo17 » Sat Oct 02, 2021 2:47 pm

Incidentally, WB is putting out a 4K set of all the Mad Max movies next month. Does that have any implications on Kino's release of the first film?

EddieLarkin

#3683 Post by EddieLarkin » Sat Oct 02, 2021 3:10 pm

WB are only releasing standalone versions of 2 and 3, so it seems obvious they negotiated with MGM/Kino for the first film to be included in the box set, rather than Kino losing the rights or anything.

And it could turn out that the Kino disc remains the superior option for the first film, as it has Dolby Vision, which WB rarely use (and the discs of 2 and 3 don't appear to have), and it has the original Australian mono, which has been missing from many previous editions and could be from WB's. Then again, it could just be a straight copy of the Kino disc, making that disc redundant for those that want the box set.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#3684 Post by swo17 » Sat Oct 02, 2021 3:34 pm

Thanks for that perspective, I wasn't aware of the possibility that the Kino might end up superior

dwk

#3685 Post by dwk » Sun Oct 03, 2021 12:32 pm

Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy is the Universal UHD.

FrauBlucher

#3686 Post by FrauBlucher » Mon Oct 04, 2021 4:44 pm

I watched this way back when. One of those shows I looked forward to every week. I probably haven't seen it since. I wonder how it holds up

Kolchak, The Night Stalker.... Beaver

L.A.

#3687 Post by L.A. » Mon Oct 04, 2021 6:05 pm

Coming December 14th!
https://www.kinolorber.com/product/the- ... le-blu-ray

The Brass Bottle (1964)
• NEW Audio Commentary by Author/Film Historian Lee Gambin - Includes an Exclusive Interview with Star Barbara Eden
• Theatrical Trailer (Newly Restored in HD)
• Optional English Subtitles

Color 89 Minutes 1.85:1 Not Rated
Tony Randall (The Odd Couple), Burl Ives (The Big Country) and Barbara Eden (Harper Valley P.T.A.) conjure up laughs and magic in The Brass Bottle—an enchanting comedy classic that inspired the hit TV series that made Eden an icon, I Dream of Jeannie. When architect Harold Ventimore (Randall) buys an antique Arabian bottle at auction, he ends up freeing the centuries-imprisoned genie, Fakrash (Ives). Forever indebted and ready to serve his new master, Fakrash grants Harold his every wish. But things quickly go from bad to worse when his beautiful fiancée (Eden) discovers a herd of camels living in his garage, belly dancers in his house, and a pack of elephants marching through the streets! Now the whole town thinks that he’s gone off the deep end, and Harold has got to make everything right and convince his fiancée that he’s not crazy. Wonderfully directed by Harry Keller (The Female Animal), this tale of a madcap genie and his zany antics will grant your wish for comedy!

captveg

#3688 Post by captveg » Tue Oct 05, 2021 4:07 pm

More OOP based on previously being in the "While Supplies Last" sale and now no longer appearing on the website:

Assassination (1987) (DVD) (BD previously OOP)
Cyborg 2087 (1966) (DVD) (BD previously OOP)
The Farmer's Daughter (1947) (DVD) (BD still available)
Heart of Midnight (1988) (DVD) (BD previously OOP)

captveg

#3689 Post by captveg » Wed Oct 06, 2021 5:45 pm

A Bullet for Joey (1955) (DVD) (BD previously OOP)

goblinfootballs

#3690 Post by goblinfootballs » Thu Oct 07, 2021 1:28 pm

Some Milestone titles are included in Kino's Roctober Sale, including the Shirley Clarkes and Losing Ground.

L.A.

#3691 Post by L.A. » Thu Oct 07, 2021 1:44 pm

captveg

#3692 Post by captveg » Thu Oct 07, 2021 4:09 pm

Life Stinks (1991) (BD)
Ruby Gentry (1952) (BD) (DVD still available)
Tobor the Great (1954) (BD) + (DVD) - May have gone OOP earlier and I missed it

L.A.

#3693 Post by L.A. » Thu Oct 07, 2021 5:10 pm

Coming December 14th on Blu-ray & DVD!
https://www.kinolorber.com/product/bedt ... ry-blu-ray

Bedtime Story (1964)
• Brand New 2K Master
• Audio Commentary by Film Historians Howard S. Berger and Nathaniel Thompson
• Theatrical Teaser (Newly Remastered in 2K)
• Two Theatrical Trailers (Newly Remastered in 2K)

Color 99 Minutes 1.85:1 Not Rated
Screen greats Marlon Brando (The Night of the Following Day), David Niven (Separate Tables) and Shirley Jones (Elmer Gantry) star in Bedtime Story, the classic comedy caper about two cunning conmen on the French Riviera. The caddish Freddy Benson (Brando) enjoys setting up elaborate ruses to seduce women. The suave Lawrence Jameson (Niven) likes to pose as a prince to swindle the wealthy. When the two men meet, each perceives the other as an interloper and a threat. Upon the arrival of vacationing soap heiress Janet Walker (Jones), the two sweet-talking scoundrels compete to trick her out of both her clothes and her fortune. Written by Stanley Shapiro (Pillow Talk) and Paul Henning (Lover Come Back), directed by Ralph Levy (Do Not Disturb), and later remade as 1988’s Dirty Rotten Scoundrels, Bedtime Story is the funniest story ever put between covers!

therewillbeblus

#3694 Post by therewillbeblus » Thu Oct 07, 2021 5:19 pm

Wow, excellent news! Merry Christmas to domino harvey

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#3695 Post by domino harvey » Thu Oct 07, 2021 5:49 pm

I guess they finally found an acceptable master. Great news, this is a laugh out loud funny sex comedy that I thought was never going to get released (it never even had a DVD anywhere)

hearthesilence

#3696 Post by hearthesilence » Thu Oct 07, 2021 11:03 pm

captveg wrote:
Thu Oct 07, 2021 4:09 pm
Life Stinks (1991) (BD)
I wish there was a feature-length compilation of Mel Brooks's work, because nearly every film he's done is incredibly spotty with absolutely hilarious moments scattered throughout. Life Stinks is a perfect example of this - I have no desire to sit through it all, but there are definitely scenes I'd love to revisit.

Blutarsky

#3697 Post by Blutarsky » Thu Oct 07, 2021 11:24 pm

hearthesilence wrote:
Thu Oct 07, 2021 11:03 pm
I wish there was a feature-length compilation of Mel Brooks's work, because nearly every film he's done is incredibly spotty with absolutely hilarious moments scattered throughout. Life Stinks is a perfect example of this - I have no desire to sit through it all, but there are definitely scenes I'd love to revisit.
I would say after Young Frankenstein, his work became sort of the template for great YouTube compilations. I never cared much for High Anxiety, but its spoof of the shower scene in Psycho might be his all time funniest moment, right up there with the studio fight/premiere of Blazing Saddles.

FrauBlucher

#3698 Post by FrauBlucher » Fri Oct 08, 2021 9:20 am

Blutarsky, I totally agree. Young Frankenstein is the only one that has aged well in its entirety. It’s still laugh out loud funny. But much of Brooks’ cannon has not aged well. But there are scenes in each of his films that are still hysterical. Which really speaks to his early days working with Sid Caesar on the sketch comedy TV show, Your Show of Shows

hearthesilence

#3699 Post by hearthesilence » Fri Oct 08, 2021 11:25 am

I'm tempted to add Blazing Saddles but I haven't seen it in a while. I don't think The Producers has aged that well. The filmmaking was always pretty clumsy (which is probably understandable since it was his first feature) and IIRC the outrageous Nazi jokes were still hilarious, but there's some real cringe-inducing material - ironically they generally involve jokes that were probably "safer" and more acceptable in 1968.

The Elegant Dandy Fop

#3700 Post by The Elegant Dandy Fop » Fri Oct 08, 2021 1:31 pm

hearthesilence wrote:
Fri Oct 08, 2021 11:25 am
I'm tempted to add Blazing Saddles but I haven't seen it in a while. I don't think The Producers has aged that well. The filmmaking was always pretty clumsy (which is probably understandable since it was his first feature) and IIRC the outrageous Nazi jokes were still hilarious, but there's some real cringe-inducing material - ironically they generally involve jokes that were probably "safer" and more acceptable in 1968.
Middle-aged Dick Shawn as "LSD" has aged like a sliced avocado, but the rest of the movie remains funny in my mind. Maybe they casted him as he played the most leathery faced, Frankie Avalon-type youth in It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World. It's been nearly fifteen years since I last saw Blazing Saddles, but that was one of my favorite as a teen and recall it being quite funny which is partially aided by the fact it has so many writers.

I remember that sense of inconsistency with Brooks' work even as a child. Spaceballs is burned into my mind as a much discussed film in the schoolyard as a kid, which has some okay laughs, but recall by the end being quite checked out at age 7-8. When I watched it as a teen, I felt more or less the same. I tried watching Dracula: Dead and Loving It a few years ago and turned it off after a few minutes. Oddly enough, his maligned produced work, Fatso (directed by his wife, Anne Bancroft) is sort of amateurish, but very charming and sweet in a way that I love. It's a shame Bancroft only made this one film.