506 Dillinger is Dead

Discuss DVDs and Blu-rays released by Criterion and the films on them. If it's got a spine number, it's in here. Threads may contain spoilers.
Matt

506 Dillinger is Dead

#1 Post by Matt » Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:42 pm

Dillinger Is Dead

[img]http://criterion_production.s3.amazonaws.com/release_images/2587/506_box_348x490_w128.jpg[/img]

In this magnificently inscrutable late-sixties masterpiece, Marco Ferreri, one of European cinema’s most idiosyncratic auteurs, takes us through the looking glass to one seemingly routine night in the life of an Italian gas mask designer, played, in a tour de force performance, by New Wave icon Michel Piccoli. In his claustrophobic, mod home, he pampers his pill-popping wife, seduces his maid, and uncovers a gun that may have once been owned by John Dillinger—and then things get even stranger. A surreal political missive about social malaise, Dillinger Is Dead finds absurdity in the mundane. It is a singular experience, both illogical and grandly existential.

Disc Features

- New, restored high-definition digital transfer, supervised and approved by director of photography Mario Vulpiani
- New video interviews with actor Michel Piccoli and Italian film historian Adriano Aprà
- Excerpts from a 1997 roundtable discussion about director Marco Ferreri, with filmmakers Bernardo Bertolucci and Francesco Rosi and film historian Aldo Tassone, including clips of interviews with Ferreri
- Theatrical trailer
- New and improved subtitle translation
- PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by film critic Michael Joshua Rowin and a selection of reprinted interviews with Ferreri

Criterionforum.org user rating averages

Feature currently disabled

kaujot

#2 Post by kaujot » Thu Sep 06, 2007 7:00 pm

portnoy wrote:This (AMAZING) film played at Telluride this weekend - guest director Edith Kramer (curator emeritus of the PFA) chose it, having wanted to program it for decades but never having been able to afford the rights.

How did they do it? Kramer and festival directors Tom Luddy and Gary Meyer convinced Janus/Criterion to purchase the US rights to the film and to strike a print. Based on the rapturous reception the film received (probably the most popular revival of the weekend), there's a strong chance a theatrical run might follow, and then who knows...

For what it's worth, I've never fallen in love with a film so quickly. It's like nothing else I've ever seen - Michel Piccoli spends the movie puttering about aimlessly, and it's the most goddammed enthralling puttering imaginable. As Kramer said in her introduction, pretty much every formal decision in the film is the right one.
Looked online and couldn't find a plot synposis, though Michel Piccoli puttering about is good enough for me.

Cinephrenic

#3 Post by Cinephrenic » Thu Sep 06, 2007 7:03 pm

I got this:

Here a link for some info.

Person

#4 Post by Person » Thu Sep 06, 2007 7:11 pm

Wow, this is great news. I was searching for a DVD a few months ago, but nothing came up. Cinematic Providence comes through again.

Cinephrenic

#5 Post by Cinephrenic » Thu Sep 06, 2007 7:14 pm

Actually, I just did some research and confirmed this as a release from Criterion, look here:

[quote]It's a puzzle that Marco Ferreri's seminal work of modern cinema never appears on critics' “best filmsâ€

souvenir

#6 Post by souvenir » Thu Sep 06, 2007 8:46 pm

Cinephrenic wrote:Kinda weird since in their latest blog, they said "Probably only one will end up in the Criterion Collection" (People on Sunday). I wonder if they already had the print secured for release.
Well, he was talking about out of the nine films he saw so maybe he didn't see this one. He also wrote:
Turrell wrote:We were instrumental in obtaining a print of Dillinger to show at the urging of this year's guest curator Edith Kramer.

Cinephrenic

#7 Post by Cinephrenic » Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:09 pm

Damn, I missed that one!

Cold Bishop

#8 Post by Cold Bishop » Fri Sep 07, 2007 12:55 am

Person wrote:Wow, this is great news. I was searching for a DVD a few months ago, but nothing came up. Cinematic Providence comes through again.
There is an Italian DVD with English subs available. I am glad that Criterion are putting this out. I've been eying picking up the Italian DVD for a while. Now only if Criterion would announce a special edition La Grande Bouffe before I go and pick up the R2.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#9 Post by domino harvey » Fri Sep 07, 2007 1:02 am

I fail to see how this guarantees a Criterion release... couldn't this end up on HVE (or does HVE even exist anymore)?

Tribe
The Bastard Spawn of Hank Williams

#10 Post by Tribe » Fri Sep 07, 2007 9:23 am

domino harvey wrote:I fail to see how this guarantees a Criterion release... couldn't this end up on HVE (or does HVE even exist anymore)?
HVE exists, but it's not the Eclipse second tier label that it used to be before Image acquired it. Nowadays, I'd imagine that anything that might have gone to HVE in the past will show up on Eclipse or eventually on Criterion.

Tribe

Ingeri

#11 Post by Ingeri » Fri Feb 22, 2008 2:53 am

portnoy wrote:This (AMAZING) film played at Telluride this weekend - guest director Edith Kramer (curator emeritus of the PFA) chose it, having wanted to program it for decades but never having been able to afford the rights.

An absolute gem of a film. I saw it at the George Eastman House two days ago (2/19), and was just blown away. I've not had that experience in quite a while. "Pure cinema" as I overheard on my way out. Michel Piccoli (gas mask designer who makes pistol salad) is just brilliant as he "interacts" with films he projects all over the interior of his apartment. Television, radio, super-8, his stereo (hi-fi), even the culinary arts, figure prominently in the most beautiful mise-en-scene I think I've ever seen. Marco Ferreri creates layer after brilliant layer in this film, yet keeps it remarkably simple and fun. What a joy!

In his introduction, Jim Healy (Assistant Curator, Motion Picture Department) remarked that it may be the only time we ever get to see this film. Please, please, please.....I can't even think that. What a brilliant film, I'll never forget it.
portnoy wrote:For what it's worth, I've never fallen in love with a film so quickly.
Ditto. I'd travel anywhere to catch another screening.

-Erik

otis

#12 Post by otis » Fri Feb 22, 2008 3:49 am

Ingeri, why not buy the Minerva Classics R2 Italy DVD? It has English subtitles, and the picture quality is excellent. I posted screen caps here.

jaredsap

#13 Post by jaredsap » Sat May 24, 2008 3:54 am

portnoy wrote:This (AMAZING) film played at Telluride this weekend...
For what it's worth, I've never fallen in love with a film so quickly. It's like nothing else I've ever seen
Ingeri wrote:An absolute gem of a film. I saw it at the George Eastman House two days ago (2/19), and was just blown away. I've not had that experience in quite a while.
Janus' new print played in LA tonight and I have to add my voice to the rapturous chorus. This is a stunning film -- imagine if Godard tried to make an Antonioni film and actually pulled it off brilliantly. Criterion needs to put it out asap.

kaujot

#14 Post by kaujot » Sat May 24, 2008 4:35 am

Goddam, I want to see this.

Awesome Welles

#15 Post by Awesome Welles » Sat May 24, 2008 6:00 am

For those who can't wait for Criterion - it's herewith English subs.

Adam

#16 Post by Adam » Sat May 24, 2008 1:17 pm

I stupidly missed this last night in LA, even though it was my intent to see it.
Sigh.

kaujot

#17 Post by kaujot » Tue May 27, 2008 5:38 pm

So I, uh, managed to see this the other day, and I can do nothing but echo most of the sentiments expressed here. Although it's surely a great film, the ending felt really bizarre to me (much more so than the rest of the film, which is also bizarre). Almost like it didn't quite fit, but that's what made it fit.

jaredsap

#18 Post by jaredsap » Tue May 27, 2008 5:57 pm

kaujot wrote:Although it's surely a great film, the ending felt really bizarre to me (much more so than the rest of the film, which is also bizarre).
A glimpse of Italian film historian Paolo Bertetto's valuable analysis in DILLINGER's Wikipedia entry. CAUTION EVERYONE: MAJOR, MAJOR SPOILERS.

kaujot

#19 Post by kaujot » Tue May 27, 2008 6:47 pm

Many thanks for the link.

souvenir

#20 Post by souvenir » Sat Sep 20, 2008 12:55 am

Probably still awhile until this is released, but the Janus Films site does mention that it will tour nationwide in 2009, beginning at BAM.

jaredsap

#21 Post by jaredsap » Sat Sep 20, 2008 4:39 am

souvenir wrote:Probably still awhile until this is released, but the Janus Films site does mention that it will tour nationwide in 2009, beginning at BAM.
Wonderful news. As this thread attests, DILLINGER is an absolute must-see. Every forum member on the tour's path needs to attend.

kaujot

#22 Post by kaujot » Sat Sep 20, 2008 2:02 pm

After watching this again, I'm really itching for them to get in gear and release this. On a second viewing, the ending felt absolutely appropriate and almost sweet.

Ingeri

Re: Dillinger is Dead (Marco Ferreri, 1969 )

#23 Post by Ingeri » Sun Dec 07, 2008 12:30 am

I don't want to let this one die. My heartfelt enthusiasm for this film has grown. Obviously Criterion has a lot on their plate, but please (I dream) maybe we can see this from them.

It really makes me sad. If I had a lifetime wish-list for Criterion releases it would be at, or near the top.

Gosh, I don't get this way about films often. It's a must see.

-Ingeri

jaredsap

#24 Post by jaredsap » Sun Dec 07, 2008 6:03 am

DILLINGER IS DEAD is at the top of my Criterion list too. It's the single best film I saw for the first time this year.

I have no doubt we'll see a disc eventually, but not before 2010. (Don't forget it's touring throughout 2009.)

jaredsap

#25 Post by jaredsap » Fri Feb 13, 2009 3:21 am

Janus has unveiled their one-sheet (which might also be their home video cover a la PIERROT LE FOU). I'm so happy they're giving this film a serious push.