65 Rushmore

Discuss DVDs and Blu-rays released by Criterion and the films on them. If it's got a spine number, it's in here. Threads may contain spoilers.
flyonthewall2983

Re: 65 Rushmore

#126 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:12 pm

"I'm a barber's son" might be the most cutting line in any of Anderson's work. Max is so withdrawn at this point I feel like he alienates the audience briefly before Dirk returns to not-so-subtly remind the audience he's been the one person to see through all of Max's defenses and still accept him.

Skrmng Skll Th Thd

#127 Post by Skrmng Skll Th Thd » Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:45 pm

flyonthewall2983 wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:12 pm
"I'm a barber's son" might be the most cutting line in any of Anderson's work.
Considering how much of Anderson's films consists of quotes and references to other work, I always took that line to be a nod to Charles Schulz, whose father was a barber, and Charlie Brown, whose father in the strip was a barber. I'm not sure what relative thematic value it has, or if it adds anything to Max's character in the film -- personally it strikes me as an insincere attempt to humanize a character who was otherwise a complete asshole.

knives

#128 Post by knives » Sat Nov 03, 2018 7:38 pm

What about it strikes you as insincere?

flyonthewall2983

#129 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 5:26 pm

I object a little to calling him an asshole. He engages in behavior that isolates him from many others around him, but is mostly not doing so out of spite but because like his dedicated involvement in extra-curricular activities, the reach of modern teenage life extends beyond his grasp. He has an older father, no siblings (and presumably no cousins) which adds to that particular kind of isolation.

It seemingly only reaches those uncomfortable levels where he starts alienating everyone around him, once he finds love. It's quite presumably the first time he's ever dealt with these feelings, and combined with everything else (including his commitment to Rushmore) it results in calamity that finds him to the point of cutting sending a beehive to Blume's room and cutting his brakes. All of that was kind of funny in 1999 but now it plays a little more sinister of course, and is maybe one of it's faults looking back now.

swo17

#130 Post by swo17 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 5:40 pm

It played as sinister back then but I don't see how that's a fault

flyonthewall2983

#131 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:23 pm

That's maybe just my perception of it then. I think if it weren't set to music it could play entirely more sinister than funny.