Hereditary (Ari Aster, 2018)

Discuss films of the 21st century including current cinema, current filmmakers, and film festivals.
Big Ben

Re: Hereditary (Ari Aster, 2018)

#26 Post by Big Ben » Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:20 pm

Aster pretty much confirmed:
SpoilerShow
That there really is a demon. Paimon is very much a force in the film.

Speaking for myself I think it's also possible that Paimon's presence has not been helping these individuals with said illnesses. I base this off of the fact that two of her family members suffered grisly deaths as well (Her father and brother.) I speak only for myself when saying this but I feel that Annie was very much aware something was not right but chose to bury not just her own feelings but the possibility that her Mother was far more nefarious than she appeared. I'm not implying that she knew everything of course but that the possibility was there and she refused to acknowledge it. There's a lot of violence in Hereditary but it's very much the venomous emotional kind.

Finch

#27 Post by Finch » Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:38 pm

Thought it was solid, with Collette and the score being exceptional. The accident scene and the first seance scene unnerved me the most. I'd say though that the script needed to make father and son more into characters of their own, Byrne in particular feels wasted. Could have done without the voiceover at film's end as it was clear to me what was happening. The clues were very there right from the beginning, verbal and visual, so I felt this didn't need spelling out. Would be interested in seeing the three hour cut if Aster ever wants to release it, if only to hopefully get more character-building scenes for Leigh snr and jnr.

pandroid7

#28 Post by pandroid7 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:44 am

nitin wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:25 am
I will go against the grain and say that I thought the script was terrible and there was hardly any worthwhile characterisation beyond what was required for plot mechanics. There is more to being an effective horror film than just being a slow burn mood piece. Between this and A Quiet Place, I am clearly out of touch with what passes for an effective horror film in 2018.
Same. Both of these films have fallen short for me, sadly. I enjoyed aspects of both, but neither left me affected in the way I was hoping. As for Hereditary, I enjoyed Colin Stetson's score (although that's no surprise as he's always excellent, and his particular talents are a good fit for horror), and I dug the incorporation of the dollhouse/miniatures as a device for playing with perspective and cinematography. I found it to be an interesting movie to look at in general; I wasn't ever visually bored. For a haunted house slow burn, you sure as shit better deliver on the exploration of space/location choice, and I thought it did well on that front too.

Collette was excellent. There were times when the hysteria line was straddled by other characters in a way that made me more inclined to laugh than be spooked, but when it came to her performance, that was never a factor. I found the two children to be sketched in a pretty two dimensional fashion. With Peter, we have these pretty pointless, brief moments where we're made aware of his crush on a female classmate who has maybe three lines in the whole movie, and...he smokes pot? That's about all I can really nail down about his personality. Since this film clocks in at over two hours, which is more than you usually get with mainstream horror, I feel like there was time to flesh out the children as people more than they did. The film instead elects to spend more time trying to bite off more than it can chew in terms of the themes of grief and mental illness and how they affect perception.

I have a friend who is touchy about mental illness portrayal in horror films, and I tend to disagree with her about it because with horror, we're operating past a sense of realism right out of the gate. And, generally, we're also dealing with a tone that isn't akin to a drama that's raising big questions that it attempts to answer. A big part of the reason this film didn't work for me is that it felt tonally confused.
SpoilerShow
We have scenes like the incredibly intense one of Annie mourning the death of her child while Steve holds her so it feels like a film that wants to be taken seriously in this respect yet it doesn't really offer much in terms of saying anything about these themes beyond using them as a plot device.
Again, normally I wouldn't expect this out of this type of horror film, but I felt like I was being put in a different headspace the first hour or so than I was in the latter half so it left me a little bereft. Which brings me to Charlie. All of this combined made me uncomfortable with the usage of a character that seems to be loosely defined as being on the spectrum (I think? Because again, we’re not really given much to go on) as a poorly sketched person who is mostly a plot device. Some of the vagueness about Charlie is fine. As Zedz mentioned, the nature of the references to her odd relationship with her grandmother were more effective when left less detailed. But...to introduce this character just to kill her off and to use her verbal tics as jump scare fodder kind of left me cringing. If I get flamed for saying that, oh well. Again, normally this isn't even a hot button thing for me in horror, but I had a pretty automatic, visceral reaction to it here. So much so that I was kind of surprised to not have heard something similar from anyone I know yet (although to be fair, I enforce a really strong "DON'T EVEN TELL ME THE TINIEST THING" policy about film with friends because I like to go in to every film as blind as possible). I wasn't sure what the film was trying to tell about any of the more somber themes it incorporated other than using them as an unsettling backdrop. Which...fine. It doesn't have to do more, but the feeling that it wanted to made the whole experience a bit uneven for me.

So overall, it was underwhelming for me, but I'm always happy to see what worked for other people and why. The subjective nature of what works for who and why is always especially intriguing in horror. I enjoyed reading everyone's thoughts on here.

swo17

#29 Post by swo17 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:15 am

I just learned that sets for this film were largely furnished with antiques from my father-in-law's store. My home is similarly furnished. Don't think I'll ever be able to watch this...

nitin

#30 Post by nitin » Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:19 am

slow zoom into swo17’s face...

Big Ben

#31 Post by Big Ben » Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:39 am

I feel the horror proper that is to say the ooga booga stuff is really secondary to the familial aspect of the film. The horror proper is a culprit here but the anger and repressed grief is really far more horrific in the long term in my opinion. Hereditary is about say, ghosts in the same way Moby Dick is about the whale. Yes the whale plays a major role in the story but I think most people would be remiss to say that the whale was the point of the book.

Lost Highway

#32 Post by Lost Highway » Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:24 pm

I went for a rare outing to the cinema to see this because social media seems desperate to spoil this for me and the backlash which follows all “elevated horror” films is just round the corner.

I found most the film very unsettling and initially I felt slightly let down by how conventional denouement was. The end reminded me of
SpoilerShow
Paranormal Activity 3,
a far less skillfully made film which I didn’t expect much from and therefore was less likely to disappoint (I think it’s rather good, certainly the best in the series). After a build up which feels so unconventional it comes as a surprise how thoroughly the film embraces genre conventions by the end. Much of the spooky climax worked though, especially when it slowly dawns on you that a barely perceptible character in the dark defies the laws of physics. Unlike It Comes at Night which was a different movie that its marketing promised, this delivers on its trailer and then some.

That said, I think Heredetary is a keeper and the end will play far better for me on a second viewing. The entire film is reverse engineered and there are so many almost imperceptible clues as to where it is heading. Not many modern horror films trust their audience to have the patience for a series to accumulating details to slowly come together like this. As a horror film it’s so well made. Everything looks mundane and yet slightly off, it has the sinister beauty of Gregory Crewdson’s photographs. This also has the best use of surround sound in a long time, one of Charlie’s tongue clicks which Peter hears late in the film, was right next to my head.

The only films which spooked me like this are first half of The Shining (before Nicholson turns it into a black comedy), the first half hour of Lost Highway (till it morphs into a gangster film) and Kiyoshi Kurosawa’s Kairo/Pulse.