Powell and Pressburger (UK releases)

Discuss internationally-released DVDs and Blu-rays or other international DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
Lino

#26 Post by Lino » Sat Apr 08, 2006 4:30 am

49th Parallel gets a Beaver comparison review and the new French edition comes out a winner.

And another strike for Warner France, this time around for Black Narcissus.

Gary Tooze

#27 Post by Gary Tooze » Sun Apr 09, 2006 6:24 pm

Thanks Annie!

Yes, to further emphasize - I strongly recommend the Warner Black Narcissus as the best quality I have seen of that film on digital. It is spectacular... in my opinion.

49th Parallel is better, but not as significantly as BN.

The Red Shoes is a weak sister but has the benefit of appearing un-manipulated. It's just the print used is more worn and faded (comparison is up, btw).

I didn't get Blimp... but understand it is also weaker than existing DVDs.

Best,
Gary

Kinsayder

#28 Post by Kinsayder » Sun Jun 25, 2006 9:43 am

If you've been holding out on buying the new French P&Ps, it might be worth holding out a bit longer...

Works out about 16.60 Euros for each double-disc set.

yoshimori

#29 Post by yoshimori » Mon Oct 02, 2006 3:18 am

Doesn't mean that much to me, but I know others will be interested in THIS 11/20 release.

Box includes: The Battle of the River Plate, A Canterbury Tale, 49th Parallel, I Know Where I'm Going!, Ill Met By Moonlight, The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp, The Red Shoes, A Matter of Life and Death, They're a Weird Mob

Sorry if this's been posted elsewhere. Sought, but not found.

Don Lope de Aguirre

#30 Post by Don Lope de Aguirre » Mon Oct 02, 2006 4:45 am

It sounds a lot like this, supposed, HMV exclusive.

Anonymous

#31 Post by Anonymous » Mon Oct 02, 2006 7:05 am

After the beautiful recent restorations of BLACK NARCISSUS and A MATTER OF LIFE AND DEATH, the Film Foundation now begins to restore THE RED SHOES (as you can read here). Now that's fantastic news!

Gordon

#32 Post by Gordon » Mon Oct 02, 2006 1:31 pm

With the 2006 contribution, The Film Foundation will fund the restoration of Michael Powell and Emeric Pressburger's masterpiece, THE RED SHOES (1948) starring Anton Walbrook, Marius Goring and Moira Shearer. Though currently available on DVD, the film's original negative is in serious need of restoration to ensure its future survival.
Immensely good news. I wonder which type of restoration it will be?

Napoleon

#33 Post by Napoleon » Tue Oct 03, 2006 8:12 am

Mr. Bernstein wrote:After the beautiful recent restorations of BLACK NARCISSUS and A MATTER OF LIFE AND DEATH, the Film Foundation now begins to restore THE RED SHOES (as you can read here). Now that's fantastic news!
Is this* available on dvd anywhere? And if so why am I not already aware of it!?

*Life and Death not Red Shoes

#34 Post by Guest » Tue Oct 03, 2006 8:51 am

n w wrote:Is this* available on dvd anywhere? And if so why am I not already aware of it!?

*Life and Death not Red Shoes
No, sadly the newly restored A MATTER OF LIFE AND DEATH wasn't released yet on DVD.

Greathinker

#35 Post by Greathinker » Tue Oct 03, 2006 12:16 pm

I can't believe I missed out on that HMV set for £15.99, it's now almost double that at £34.99

#36 Post by Guest » Wed Oct 04, 2006 5:52 pm

I just got an answer from Film Foundation via email regarding THE RED SHOES:
Thank you for your query. We are in the process of gathering and
reviewing the film elements and will have a complete preservation plan
shortly.

Best regards,
Jessica Bursi
The Film Foundation
No big news, but I surely am excited anyway.

Greathinker

#37 Post by Greathinker » Wed Oct 04, 2006 10:32 pm

Don't know if others are aware but it looks as if A Canterbury Tale, I Know Where I'm Going, and Peeping Tom are being released by Warner France as well. Each will have 2 disks and be sold in a box very similar to their other set of four, both boxes are coming out Nov 8th.
And it appears that Peeping Tom will be exclusive to the box whereas the other two will be available separately in December.

Very good news, Peeping Tom is finally going to be available in its correct AR

Anonymous

#38 Post by Anonymous » Sat Oct 07, 2006 5:40 am

OH ROSALINDA! and A MATTER OF LIFE AND DEATH will be released in France on November 7th, as you can see here

I hope the transfer is based on the new restoration!

Gordon

#39 Post by Gordon » Sun Oct 08, 2006 10:28 pm

It's surprising that the Charles Doble restoration of Honeymoon hasn't been released on DVD anywhere. Studio Canal own the rights. It has long been dismissed as silly travelogue, but it's probably quite exciting. Seeing it in its original 2.35:1 Technirama framing with vibrant color would be most welcome.

I'll be very interested in seeing the new Matter of Life DVD from Warner France. Sony hasn't said anything about their release in years.

Greathinker

#40 Post by Greathinker » Fri Oct 20, 2006 12:49 pm

The hmv exclusive box is on sale now along with a 20% discount today only, coupon code SQ1515. Bringing the box down to £12.39.

A great deal but I'm waiting for the warner editions, the cool colors of the carltons don't sit right with me.

#41 Post by Guest » Sun Oct 22, 2006 11:16 am

Gordon wrote:I'll be very interested in seeing the new Matter of Life DVD from Warner France. Sony hasn't said anything about their release in years.
I don't think that it's from Warner France. The amazon.fr website doesn't say anything, but the Institut Lumière website doesn't list AMOLAD in their DVD series.

Kinsayder

#42 Post by Kinsayder » Thu Nov 02, 2006 7:07 am

Reviews of the new Institut Lumière editions of I Know Where I'm Going, and Peeping Tom... out on Nov 8th.

The standalone edition of A Canterbury Tale appears to have been postponed to Dec 6th.

Ashirg

#43 Post by Ashirg » Thu Nov 02, 2006 2:11 pm

Here's a review of A Canterbury Tale. It also compares it to Criterion.

Greathinker

#44 Post by Greathinker » Thu Nov 02, 2006 2:27 pm

Ashirg wrote:Here's a review of A Canterbury Tale. It also compares it to Criterion.
A bit of a disappointment, I just ordered this set from amazon and I was hoping A Canterbury Tale would be around criterion quality. What bothers me in that comparison is that on the criterion you can faintly see the clouds in the background, where on the warner it's just whiteness. Though the criterion is window-boxed and the extras look better on the warner.

Tommaso

#45 Post by Tommaso » Fri Nov 03, 2006 7:11 am

Greathinker wrote:Though the criterion is window-boxed and the extras look better on the warner.
Really? Admittedly, that 20 min. Tavernier piece seems very interesting, but in all likelihood it won't rival Ian Christie's excellent audio commentary. And the dvdtimes comparison indeed shows that the Criterion image is far superior.

Anonymous

#46 Post by Anonymous » Sat Nov 04, 2006 12:58 pm

Amazon.fr still doesn't list any information or cover for the Oh Rosalinda! and A Matter of Life and Death release. I suppose this will be bare bones, therefore we'll have to continue to wait for a DVD that uses the new AMOLAD restoration. I wonder what those idiots at Sony are doing.
Tommaso wrote:Really? Admittedly, that 20 min. Tavernier piece seems very interesting, but in all likelihood it won't rival Ian Christie's excellent audio commentary. And the dvdtimes comparison indeed shows that the Criterion image is far superior.
I have to get every DVD release with contribution either by Tavernier or Christie. The latter does the finest audio commentaries for P&P films, but I love Tavernier's Les audaces d'un aventurier features. He's a very enthusiastic and intelligent speaker.

I have both the Criterion and Institut Lumière DVDs of Blimp which is really great because the CC has the Powell/Scorsese commentary while the French disc has Kevin Macdonald's "The Making of an Englishman" and the usual Schoonmaker/Tavernier stuff.

Tommaso

#47 Post by Tommaso » Sat Nov 04, 2006 1:16 pm

JLG's neighbor wrote:I have both the Criterion and Institut Lumière DVDs of Blimp which is really great because the CC has the Powell/Scorsese commentary while the French disc has Kevin Macdonald's "The Making of an Englishman" and the usual Schoonmaker/Tavernier stuff.
Ah, great to hear. As there's no Beaver comparison of "Blimp" CC vs Lumiere, can you say something about this? Most important for me would be whether the over-reddishness/pinkishness of all the faces in the Criterion version has gone in the Lumiere. On the CC, Blimp constantly looks like he has a blood pressure of 220...

Kinsayder

#48 Post by Kinsayder » Sat Nov 04, 2006 1:43 pm

This page has a visual comparison of the Criterion, Institut Lumière and Carlton Blimps.

Anonymous

#49 Post by Anonymous » Sat Nov 04, 2006 4:07 pm

Tommaso wrote:Ah, great to hear. As there's no Beaver comparison of "Blimp" CC vs Lumiere, can you say something about this? Most important for me would be whether the over-reddishness/pinkishness of all the faces in the Criterion version has gone in the Lumiere. On the CC, Blimp constantly looks like he has a blood pressure of 220...
As you can see in the comparison, the CC and the Institut Lumière used the same transfer. I'm pretty certain the "reddishness" was done on purpose and looking at this comparison I think it looks more stylistically apt. Also, the reddishness you're refering to is only visible in the bath scenes at the beginning and fits quite well because of all the steam and heat of the place.

Tommaso

#50 Post by Tommaso » Sun Nov 05, 2006 6:07 am

Hmmm.... to me the Carlton looks much more natural, take a look at captures 4 and 8 especially. Far better rendering of the blue tones. Capture 10 even has the reddish tinge on the black and white poster in the CC and Lumiere versions. I cannot really believe it's intentional.