New Australian DVD and BD Releases

Discuss internationally-released DVDs and Blu-rays or other international DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
kekid

Re: New Australian DVD and BD Releases

#1276 Post by kekid » Sun Aug 09, 2020 1:55 pm

It is very difficult to get Australian DVDs and CD's these days (at least to US) due to Covid. It took over two months for me to get a box of classical music CD's (after two cancellations by sellers).

Adam X

#1277 Post by Adam X » Sun Aug 09, 2020 3:02 pm

Welcome to our world.

L.A.

#1278 Post by L.A. » Mon Aug 10, 2020 5:54 am

Aunt Peg wrote:
Sat Aug 08, 2020 6:41 am
Peter Weir's The Last Wave (1977) Re-mastered is being released on 2 September 2020.
The upcoming Blu-ray, released through Umbrella’s new sub-label Sunburnt Screens.

Adam X

#1279 Post by Adam X » Mon Aug 10, 2020 2:00 pm

I was going to say I hope this one lasts longer than Beyond Genres, but Umbrella said that they’ll be mentioning some further titles for the line sometime soon, and they’re working on addition/s to the B.G. sub-label as well.

Adam X

#1280 Post by Adam X » Sat Sep 12, 2020 3:08 pm

Interview about Umbrella's new Sunburnt Screens sub-label.

Forthcoming titles mentioned, all featuring new restorations & extras:
Sunday Too Far Away (d. Ken Hannam) - January 2021
Dingo (d. Rolf de Heer)
Malcolm (d. Nadia Tass)
The Big Steal (d. Nadia Tass)
We of the Never Never (d. Igor Auzins)
Last edited by Adam X on Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GaryC

#1281 Post by GaryC » Sun Sep 13, 2020 3:05 pm

Interesting list, though there's a typo in the fourth title down. It's actually The Big Steal.

Adam X

#1282 Post by Adam X » Mon Sep 14, 2020 3:42 am

That’s what I get for copy & pasting, I guess.

L.A.

#1283 Post by L.A. » Fri Oct 02, 2020 5:20 pm

L.A. wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 5:54 am
Aunt Peg wrote:
Sat Aug 08, 2020 6:41 am
Peter Weir's The Last Wave (1977) Re-mastered is being released on 2 September 2020.
The upcoming Blu-ray, released through Umbrella’s new sub-label Sunburnt Screens.
Beaver and DVD Compare reviews.

Aunt Peg

#1284 Post by Aunt Peg » Mon Dec 21, 2020 4:06 am

Thanks to RobertB's thread https://www.criterionforum.org/forum/vi ... 20&t=16919 I started thinking about Australian films that fall into this sub group (I couldn't think of any) but in the process of my research I discovered that Frank Brittain's The Set (1970) has finally been released in Australia on DVD in a special 2 disc edition. I received by copy today and am very happy the package.

For anybody interested in the film it can be purchased directly from Bounty Films: https://bountyentertainment.com.au/product/the-set/

Just to confirm that the edition from the link above are pressed discs. There is also DVD-Rs for sale of just the feature film at a much cheaper price but the special features are very special and highly recommended.

Just want to add a big thank for to RobertB - if it wasn't for your thread I would never have discovered that this film was recently released on DVD.

RobertB

#1285 Post by RobertB » Tue Dec 22, 2020 6:05 pm

Watched a clip on youtube. https://youtu.be/7LcMEckqc7o Looks both charming and hilarious. Never heard of it before. Thank you.

L.A.

#1286 Post by L.A. » Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:06 am

Our BEYOND GENRES series will return from February 17th with the release of BAD BOY BUBBY 📀

Pre-order Now: https://bit.ly/38BLB7X

Long out of print, Rolf de Heer's critically acclaimed cult classic returns to Blu-ray with an ALL-NEW 2K Restoration & 5.1 Remaster accompanied by New & Archival Special Features.

Special Features
Audio Commentary w/ Rolf de Heer & Nicholas Hope
25th Anniversary Q&A w/ Nicholas Hope & Natalie Carr
Christ Kid, You’re a Weirdo - Interview w/ Rolf de Heer
Being Bubby - Interview w/ Nicholas Hope
Popcorn Taxi Q&A with Nicholas Hope
Binaural Headphone Recording
Confessor Caressor - Short Film
Stills Gallery
Theatrical Trailer

bugsy_pal

#1287 Post by bugsy_pal » Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:11 pm

Bruce Beresford's "The Adventures of Barry Mackenzie" has just come out on bluray - number 01 in 'Ozploitation Classics', presumably a series of forthcoming films on blu.
https://www.jbhifi.com.au/products/adve ... 72-blu-ray

Just bought it - will compare to the DVD soon (I'm not expecting too much)

L.A.

#1288 Post by L.A. » Wed Feb 24, 2021 6:45 am

From one of Australia’s most treasured novels comes the exquisitely beautiful Australian classic WE OF THE NEVER NEVER, with a stunning 4K Restoration and releasing to Blu-ray as the fourth volume in our Sunburnt Screens series 📀

Pre-order Now: https://bit.ly/37FSV1d

Based on the true story of Jeannie Gunn, a woman who battled the odds as a station master’s wife in outback Australia. For the love of her new husband (Arthur Dignam), Jeannie (Angela Punch-McGregor) abandons a high society city life to trek into the vast and wild heart of Australia - where wives are seldom seen, and even less accepted. Enduring isolation, hardships and battling against the sexist and racial prejudice of the Australian outback environment, Jeannie strives to win the friendship and respect of those about her.

Special Features
Back To The Never Never (Featurette)
Walkabout Documentary 1974 (Featurette)
Behind the Scenes Gallery
Theatrical Trailer

About the Restoration Process:
Performed by Roar Digital, the original 35mm interpositive was scanned at 4K then painstakingly color corrected shot by shot. From there the reels were ran through automatic dirt concealment to correct minor belishments while larger damage was hand-painted frame by frame.

Aunt Peg

#1289 Post by Aunt Peg » Thu Feb 25, 2021 4:41 am

I really should upgrade from the previous Blu Ray release of We of the Never Never to this new release. I'm not much of a fan of 'period pieces' from the late 70's early 80's of Australian cinema but this (along with Picnic at Hanging Rock) is one of the rare exceptions. Such a great film and I hope this release will inspire people to take a dip - such a beautiful profound film.

L.A.

#1290 Post by L.A. » Wed Mar 03, 2021 2:39 pm

L.A.

#1291 Post by L.A. » Thu Mar 11, 2021 7:24 am

Stone (Sandy Harbutt, 1974) coming from Umbrella Entertainment in April.

Adam X

#1292 Post by Adam X » Fri Mar 12, 2021 1:21 pm

Also coming in April is Umbrella's next Beyond Genres title, The Cook, The Thief, His Wife and Her Lover.

Along with Bad Boy Bubby, it feels like they're expanding the type of films being included in this line. Personally, I think it'd be more interesting to see them digging into more Australian genre-tinged films like Rolf de Heer's Epsilon & Incident at Raven's Gate for new addtions. No label's given local cinema as much ongoing attention as Umbrella, but they tend not to stay in-print for very long, unfortunately.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#1293 Post by swo17 » Fri Mar 12, 2021 2:11 pm

Adam X wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 1:21 pm
Also coming in April is Umbrella's next Beyond Genres title, The Cook, The Thief, His Wife and Her Lover.
What's the quality of the UK Blu-ray, and do we have reason to expect the Umbrella to be an improvement?

Adam X

#1294 Post by Adam X » Fri Mar 12, 2021 3:35 pm

I’ve got the UK disc but not watched it yet. My memory of what I found online at the time is that it’s decent, but it’s an old master (though I might just be thinking of the description in this review). Given Umbrella’s track record with international films, I wouldn’t expect it to be any better than what’s currently out there.

Happy to be proven wrong though, and I’m curious what the included doco might be like.

Fiery Angel

#1295 Post by Fiery Angel » Fri Mar 12, 2021 4:35 pm

Adam X

#1296 Post by Adam X » Sat Mar 13, 2021 6:21 am

Of course it is. Thanks.

jazzo

New Australian DVD and BD Releases

#1297 Post by jazzo » Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:16 pm

Not really sure where to post, but here seems as good a place as any.

JB-HI-fi, based out of Australia, are having a buy-two-get-the-third-free sale, so if you have your eye on any Imprint or Umbrella/Sunburnt editions, now might be a good time to stock up.

The Canadian dollar is par with the Australian, so I picked up Imprint’s edition of Breakdown, Sunburnt’s The Last Wave, and got the two disc theatrical/definitive Director’s Cut of Last of the Mohicans free, for a total of $67, shipping included.

You’ll just have to wait a couple of months for delivery.

Yakushima

#1298 Post by Yakushima » Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:46 pm

Thank you for the heads-up about the sale, jazzo! I ordered We of the Never Never, Breakdown and The Last Wave for ~$56 including shipping to the US. Great deal!

jazzo

#1299 Post by jazzo » Wed May 19, 2021 11:31 am

Another quick heads up that JB HI-FI is having a buy one, get one free sale until May 26, so a really great time to catch up stuff that's exclusive to Australia.

Some suggestions beyond the Imprint and Umbrella's Beyond Genres/Sunburnt/Ozploitation titles:

Umbrella's BIG NIGHT blu-ray is region free and way better looking than that old US DVD. Bare-bones, though.

They also have the COMPLETE AMAZING STORIES DVD set, which my kids and I are having a blast going through.

If I think of any others, I'll update.

L.A.

#1300 Post by L.A. » Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:38 am

Umbrella Entertainment wrote:
It’s official! Our new collection ‘Sensual Sinema’ has launched. Sensual Sinema will bring seductive favourites to life on Blu-ray with exclusive special features, O-ring packaging and artwork. Our #1 volume invites you to sneak into the dressing room and slide into a stage-side seat as Nomi, Cristal and the uninhibited Showgirls troupe leave nothing to the imagination. This uncut Blu-Ray release exposes Showgirls in all its sexy, crazy, flamboyant glory.

Pre-order now: https://bit.ly/3l4mUaD

Special features:
YOU DON'T NOMI Jeffrey McHale's feature-length documentary exploring the legacy of Showgirls
The Greatest Movie Ever Made audio commentary with Showgirls expert David Schmader
Showgirls Diary: Animated storyboard-to-film comparison of three scenes, including sketches by the director
Interview with Paul Verhoeven
Speech by Paul Verhoeven at the Razzie Awards
Theatrical Trailer