Shout! Factory / Scream Factory

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
EddieLarkin

Re: Shout! Factory / Scream Factory

#1451 Post by EddieLarkin » Mon Jul 13, 2020 6:13 pm

It's definitely a genuine upgrade rather than just a tat-laden cash in.

The old box set used ageing HD transfers for all of the films, whilst this one uses new OCN 4K transfers for the first 4 films, including Part 3 in 3-D for the first time. Jason Goes to Hell is a new transfer as well with the Uncut version included too (absent completely in the old set despite being released on DVD plenty of times).

Luke M

#1452 Post by Luke M » Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:07 pm

Looks like they're charging $160 for the set. It seems steep to me but I'm not the core audience.

Adam X

#1453 Post by Adam X » Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:36 am

I’m not tring to justify the price, but it includes 16 discs, 5 newly available transfers, new extras for almost every film, plus 2 feature-length documentaries about the films/sub-genre. Besides, that would seem to be full retail, and’s a bit cheaper elsewhere. If anything, it’ll certainly take up more room on your shelf.

(Kind of hoping this leads to a better A Nightmare on Elm Street box set, with uncut parts 1 & 5.)

It looks like they’re essentially taking the same approach as the Halloween collection, somewhat replicating the old set and adding all the new video extras to additional discs. There are some things I can’t stand about these films (Manfedini’s overbearing score especially), but I still like them as a whole. Short of (the likely-never-going-to-happen) uncut versions of pt2-8, this looks like the last time anyone’ll want to buy them.

M Sanderson

#1454 Post by M Sanderson » Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:51 am

So are Shout releasing the remake in its “Killer Cut”?

Also a new scan of this title would’ve been very welcome. Current one probably could be better.

M Sanderson

#1455 Post by M Sanderson » Thu Jul 16, 2020 8:50 am

Adam Grikepelis wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:36 am
I’m not tring to justify the price, but it includes 16 discs, 5 newly available transfers, new extras for almost every film, plus 2 feature-length documentaries about the films/sub-genre. Besides, that would seem to be full retail, and’s a bit cheaper elsewhere. If anything, it’ll certainly take up more room on your shelf.

(Kind of hoping this leads to a better A Nightmare on Elm Street box set, with uncut parts 1 & 5.)

It looks like they’re essentially taking the same approach as the Halloween collection, somewhat replicating the old set and adding all the new video extras to additional discs. There are some things I can’t stand about these films (Manfedini’s overbearing score especially), but I still like them as a whole. Short of (the likely-never-going-to-happen) uncut versions of pt2-8, this looks like the last time anyone’ll want to buy them.
Agreed. Would love to see in particular 1st 3 Elm Streets in fresh scans & as well as New Nightmare.

This series has really been neglected.

Adam X

#1456 Post by Adam X » Thu Jul 16, 2020 1:14 pm

M Sanderson wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:51 am
So are Shout releasing the remake in its “Killer Cut”?
Seems the last box set had both cuts, and Scream have the same extras listed, so I don't see why this won't just be the same disc.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#1457 Post by domino harvey » Fri Jul 17, 2020 12:18 pm

dwk wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:56 am
Amazon has leaked Scream's October releases:
Terror in the Aisles
This is included in full on Universal's Blu-ray for Halloween II, which is available for peanuts. Why would anyone pay $25 for a Scream Factory edition of what is already just a clip show?

Adam X

#1458 Post by Adam X » Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:06 am

I remember when SF released their Halloween box sets there seemed to be a number of people upset that it wasn't included. I guess it has a bit of a following?

dwk

#1459 Post by dwk » Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:04 pm

here are the incredibly underwhelming special features for Shout's Adaptation Blu-ray:
Original Featurette
Trailer
Still Gallery
Optional English subtitles for the main feature

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#1460 Post by domino harvey » Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:35 pm

No interactive menu, no sale

therewillbeblus

#1461 Post by therewillbeblus » Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:38 pm

I’m holding out for a label to release it with the source novel included

CSM126

#1462 Post by CSM126 » Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:50 pm

domino harvey wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:35 pm
No interactive menu, no sale
It’s Spike Jonze. I halfway expect a non-interactive menu that precludes you from using the disc at all.

dustybooks

#1463 Post by dustybooks » Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:39 pm

My ex girlfriend had that DVD release of Memento that pretty much operated on those terms. I remember her getting really frustrated trying to access any of the features.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#1464 Post by domino harvey » Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:42 pm

The packaging for that DVD set was awesome. I remember parts of the file folder being held together by a real paper clip

black&huge

#1465 Post by black&huge » Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:27 pm

domino harvey wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:42 pm
The packaging for that DVD set was awesome. I remember parts of the file folder being held together by a real paper clip
this killed me.

Roger Ryan

#1466 Post by Roger Ryan » Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:32 am

I think part of the joke of the original DVD release of Adaptation was its lack of supplemental material. The first printing contained a memo featuring the Columbia Tristar Home Entertainment letterhead tucked under the DVD case clips:

from the desk of...
Robert Stephenson

Clair... Please use a DVD case without these clips. We don't have anything to clip in. Can you find out about pricing and a time frame for this? Thanks, Bob.

The disc itself also had a short announcement alerting viewers to a soon-to-be-released "deluxe edition" of the DVD promising extensive behind-the-scenes material. Needless to say, no "deluxe edition" was ever issued.

It appears that the Shout! release continues the "gag".

therewillbeblus

#1467 Post by therewillbeblus » Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:40 am

Part of suggesting the source novel is that it's the ultimate gag, and also an interesting one in case anyone wants to actually compare the two for fun; but probably expensive and complicated.

Mr Sausage

Shout! Factory / Scream Factory

#1468 Post by Mr Sausage » Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:43 am

domino harvey wrote:The packaging for that DVD set was awesome. I remember parts of the file folder being held together by a real paper clip
It’s probably the only DVD in existence where the commentary track has three separate endings, each giving a different, contradictory analysis of the film. I think the stated intent was to fuel discussion, but I like to imagine it eroded peoples’ sense of reality when they encountered someone who claimed Nolan said completely different things on the commentary, went back to check their DVD only to hear a third set of statements completely different from the ones they and the other person were arguing about.

cdnchris
Site Admin

#1469 Post by cdnchris » Thu Jul 30, 2020 12:05 pm

The Clue of audio commentaries

CSM126

#1470 Post by CSM126 » Thu Jul 30, 2020 12:44 pm

Y’all are giving me flashbacks to just how obnoxious Memento really was.

Reverend Drewcifer

#1471 Post by Reverend Drewcifer » Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:05 pm

The Masque of the Red Death Special Features

Bonus Features
NEW Audio Commentary With Film Historians Kim Newman And Barry Forshaw (Extended Cut)
NEW Introduction By Stephen Jones
Includes Both The Theatrical Cut And The Extended Cut
Audio Commentary With Author/Film Historian Steve Haberman (Theatrical Cut)
Interview With Producer/Director Roger Corman
Theatrical Trailer
Still Gallery

Charles

#1472 Post by Charles » Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:13 pm

Re Memento, I don’t believe I even made it as far as the commentary endings. I remember having trouble just in getting the contents out of the ultra-tight slipcase, perhaps due to the paper clip, not sure now. Time to revisit.

Finch

#1473 Post by Finch » Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:16 pm

The extended cut of Masque is likely the UK TV version which reinserted about a minute of previously deleted dialogue between Vincent Price and Jane Asher.

dvdcompare says:

"Blu-ray A Scream Factory #48, Collector's Edition America- Shout! Factory - Cut (88:47) - 4 seconds are missing from:
- the moment in which Asher begs Price to spare her father and lover ('I beg of you mercy! Mercy in the name of God!') and, in response, is slapped in the face; and
- 1 second of nudity as Asher is thrown into the bathwater."

"An even longer version has been screened on UK television, including the following additional footage:
- an additional 20 seconds of dialogue in the scene between Price and Asher on the battlements of the castle
- a 50 second scene in which Hop Toad tells the female dwarf that she will not be struck again, and the female dwarf implores Hop Toad to run away with her"

dwk

#1474 Post by dwk » Wed Aug 05, 2020 2:39 pm

Some more Scream/Shout titles are going OOP next month:
Escape from New York
Mad Max
The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai
Carrie
Child's Play
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre Part 2
Manhunter
The Pink Panther Collection

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#1475 Post by tenia » Wed Aug 05, 2020 6:19 pm

These are quite big titles. Do we know if they've been bought by someone else or if Shout are just letting all those lapse ?