Criterion and StudioCanal

News on Criterion and Janus Films.
swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

Re: Criterion and StudioCanal

#1251 Post by swo17 » Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:24 pm

FrauBlucher wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:13 pm
bluray.com poster wrote:Hoping it's Le Deuxième Souffle (1966). Not sure if that's with StudioCanal or not.
KL Insider wrote:It's not with StudioCanal. And I'm sure it's still with Criterion. They just need to release it on BD.
bluray.com poster wrote:Only problem is with Criterion, they have a stockpile of films that they do nothing with. There is a decent chance that a Blu-ray could be years away or never happen. Oh well.
KL Insider wrote:Yeah, but they've been to sit on a title for 5 years, not release it and renew it for an additional 5 years.
Interesting. Does this sound like a complaint about the way Criterion does biz from the KL Insider. :-k
I could see Kino taking issue with how Criterion releases less than 30 titles a month

FrauBlucher

#1252 Post by FrauBlucher » Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:45 pm

Didn't Kino operate the same as Criterion before they started the Studio Classic line?

CSM126

#1253 Post by CSM126 » Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:56 pm

Those Criterion assholes, taking time to actually restore and remaster movies instead of shoveling 20 year old tv masters onto Blu-ray. It’s like they have standards or something. Ugh.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#1254 Post by tenia » Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:07 pm

Imagine a market where most indie labels would release 30 titles per month but people would still have the same video budgets.

black&huge

#1255 Post by black&huge » Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:00 pm

FrauBlucher wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:45 pm
Didn't Kino operate the same as Criterion before they started the Studio Classic line?
I've been familiar with Kino for about as long as criterion. As far back as I can remember (before blu-rays of any kind) they always seemed to lack the level of care that Criterion had even with their dvd releases. As far as I have seen they haven't changed up anything since putting out blus

FrauBlucher

#1256 Post by FrauBlucher » Wed Jul 03, 2019 6:02 am

black&huge wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:00 pm
FrauBlucher wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:45 pm
I've been familiar with Kino for about as long as criterion. As far back as I can remember (before blu-rays of any kind) they always seemed to lack the level of care that Criterion had even with their dvd releases. As far as I have seen they haven't changed up anything since putting out blus
I was talking strictly volume and not quality. That has always been suspect. I believe Kino would only release a handful of titles at a time much like the other boutiques, right? Since they started the Studio Classic line they've been like a factory

knives

#1257 Post by knives » Wed Jul 03, 2019 6:48 pm

No, they've always been factory like. It's just that they are now releasing more high profile titles and not just obscure silents that ten people want to watch.

FrauBlucher

#1258 Post by FrauBlucher » Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:40 am

FrauBlucher wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 8:39 pm
OFFICIALLY RETURNED TO CRITERION
Lola
--------- ---------- --------- -------- ---------- ----------
Speculation
Returning to this thread like a kid returning to the toy store window contemplating.

So far based on what Kino has released and what the KLinsider says, the films that are strongly suggested coming back to Criterion:
Army of Shadows
Le Cercle Rouge
Pierrot le Fou
Tales of Hoffman
Peeping Tom
Diary of a Chambermaid

Maybe these will return to Criterion or there is a chance Cohen has swooped in to take them as the KLInsider has said other companies have joined the party:
Le Trou
A Diary of a Country Priest
Forbidden Games
Discreet Charm
Phantom of Liberty
Nights of Cabiria
Variety Lights
The White Sheik
Films of Carlos Saura

Film that wasn't with Criterion but the Kino Insider has said Kino didn't get it even though they wanted it:
The Trial

Prediction: The shitty Lionsgate/SC releases will be replaced by Criterion releases at some point (Ran, The Third Man, Contempt, La Grande Illusion and The Obscure Object of Desire)

Please add to this if I missed something...
(Fixed)
bumping
Last edited by FrauBlucher on Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Blutarsky

#1259 Post by Blutarsky » Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:00 pm

Put Diary of a Chambermaid as most certainly rejoining the collection.

Glowingwabbit

#1260 Post by Glowingwabbit » Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:28 pm

So for SC films like Army of Shadows, Le Cercle Rouge, Pierre Le fou, etc that already had criterion blu releases do people think they will be completely new editions when/if released. I've seen people guessing them in the quarantined thread and it seems like a waste of an announcment slot if there is nothing new about them. (Apologies if I should have placed this message in that thread)

movielocke

#1261 Post by movielocke » Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:31 pm

Glowingwabbit wrote:So for SC films like Army of Shadows, Le Cercle Rouge, Pierre Le fou, etc that already had criterion blu releases do people think they will be completely new editions when/if released. I've seen people guessing them in the quarantined thread and it seems like a waste of an announcment slot if there is nothing new about them. (Apologies if I should have placed this message in that thread)
Third man would probably be new, ran probably new, but the three you mentioned probably the same edition.

Robespierre

#1262 Post by Robespierre » Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:57 pm

Is it possible that all of the unchanged, previous editions of OOP SC stuff would be announced en masse and just back in print, followed by the then newly produced discs of stuff like Ran, third man, discreet charm announced months later?

movielocke

#1263 Post by movielocke » Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:37 pm

Robespierre wrote:Is it possible that all of the unchanged, previous editions of OOP SC stuff would be announced en masse and just back in print, followed by the then newly produced discs of stuff like Ran, third man, discreet charm announced months later?
Not really, since they didn’t grab all forty plus back, their strategy is almost certainly trickling them out like any other second edition format upgrade. Possibly a bigger batch at the beginning, but in all likelihood, criterion is going to take their time putting them out, likely no more than six a year.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#1264 Post by domino harvey » Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:42 pm

Where are you pulling these numbers from? Obviously, like everything else they hold rights to, these rereleases are going to trickle out, but there's zero cause to put quotas to it in advance

movielocke

#1265 Post by movielocke » Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:06 pm

domino harvey wrote:Where are you pulling these numbers from? Obviously, like everything else they hold rights to, these rereleases are going to trickle out, but there's zero cause to put quotas to it in advance
Well iirc, there were forty something studio canal titles that went oop, and in the fraublaucher post a couple up, there’s about twenty possibilities listed. I wouldn’t expect them to do one a month, but I would expect they’d want them in the docket so that led me to guess about six a year.

The guess that they might do a larger batch at the first is just specious guessing based on n=1 of the first batch of blugrades.

Blutarsky

#1266 Post by Blutarsky » Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:20 am

Diary of A Country Priest is on the channel with StudioCanal + Criterion logo. Also a brief moment saying RESTORED IN 4K. KLInsider said no Bresson so this sounds like a for sure return. Looks stunning and has the OG commentary from the old DVD.

Note: this title and Fitzcarraldo are the only films of the August batch working on my Apple TV.

captveg

#1267 Post by captveg » Thu Nov 14, 2019 3:30 pm

Film Movement looks be another label licensing StudioCanal titles, releasing the Ealing comedies The Titfield Thunderbolt and Passport to Pimlico in December.

MichaelB

#1268 Post by MichaelB » Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:40 am

Winter Kills (out in January) is the first of Indicator’s StudioCanal licenses, but there’ll be a lot more throughout 2020 - although I suspect they’ll all be locked to Region B as per contractual stipulation.

captveg

#1269 Post by captveg » Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:19 pm

KL Insider has all but confirmed a few titles are back with Criterion:

"...Peeping Tom, Forbidden Games and Le Trou went to another label, you can probably guess who. Lionsgate has kept The Third Man."

black&huge

#1270 Post by black&huge » Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:26 am

That is incredible news. Now the waiting game for a Peeping Tom upgrade.

kcota17

#1271 Post by kcota17 » Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:35 am

The Third Man news is a bit depressing considering the Studio Canal release of that has botched audio. Hopefully Lionsgate actually does something with it in the U.S.

movielocke

#1272 Post by movielocke » Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:19 pm

Army of Shadows announced!

movielocke

#1273 Post by movielocke » Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:47 pm

I think this update is correct, but perhaps Frau can correct me if I'm wrong:

20/07/15 update: moved PIerrot le Fou to the re-release section
20/07/15 updated list based on the "getharrypalmer' info down thread
20/10/15 updated: moved three Buneles to re-release section
21/01/15 updated: moved Fellinis to re-release section, with notation, made new section base on possible new SC licenses

Criterion re-releases:
49 Nights of Cabiria (only in Fellini Mega set)
81 Variety Lights (only in Fellini Mega set)
102 The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie
143 That Obscure Object of Desire
189 The White Sheik (only in Fellini Mega set)
205 Lola
290 The Phantom of Liberty
385 Army of Shadows
421 Pierrot le Fou

Criterion Rumored to have

58 Peeping Tom
67 The Blood of a Poet
69 Testament of Orpheus
106 Coup De Torchon
117 Diary of a Chambermaid
129 Le Trou
218 Le Cercle Rouge
222 Diary of a Country Priest
227 Le Corbeau
317 The Tales of Hoffmann
318 Forbidden Games
441 The Small Back Room

Lionsgate retained:
64 The Third Man

Lionsgate rumored to retain:
316 Ran

2020/21 SC deal rumored previously off-limits titles now licensed to criterion:
1 Grand Illusion
171 Contempt
304 The Man Who Fell To Earth

no info?:

238 A Woman Is a Woman
424 Mafioso

Kino releases:
25 Alphaville
121 Billy Liar
150 Bob Le Flambeur
193 Quai des Orfèvres
245 Port of Shadows
271 Touchez Pas Au Grisbi
325 Kind Hearts and Coronets
357 The Fallen Idol
402 The Milky Way
447 Le doulos
478 Last Year At Marienbad
572 Léon Morin, Priest

Essential Art House titles, criterion rumored to have
Gervaise
Le Jour se Leve

Essential Art House titles, no info
Mayerling
The Last Holiday

unreleased potential licenses from Studio Canal
The Card
The Trial
The Crime of Monsieur Lange
The Four Musketeers
The Servant
The Three Musketeers
Last edited by movielocke on Fri Jan 15, 2021 3:37 pm, edited 12 times in total.

FrauBlucher

#1274 Post by FrauBlucher » Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:40 am

I believe The Man who Fell to Earth could be staying with Lionsgate as well. Other than that it looks accurate.

I would add Welles’ The Trial to the list as a potential Criterion release. Kino Insider said they asked for it but was told it was going to someone else, which would suggest Criterion as a strong contender for the release

jwd5275

#1275 Post by jwd5275 » Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:10 am

Last Holiday also played on the channel with a Criterion logo. I would think all the StudioCanal titles in the Essential Arthouse boxes (Gervaise, Litvak's version of Mayerling, Last Holiday and Le Jour Se Leve) would be good candidates to return as stand alone releases.

If we're adding unreleased titles like the Trial, I would also add The Card, which was playing on the Criterion Channel with a Criterion logo. I remember a Criterion tribute to Neame upon his death mentioned he had recorded an interview for it before his death, but then StudioCanal yanked the licenses.