Warner Brothers Archive Collection Blu-rays

Discuss North American DVDs and Blu-rays or other DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
senseabove

Re: Warner Brothers Archive Collection Blu-rays

#1001 Post by senseabove » Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:23 pm

NEW 2019 1080p HD MASTER!

THE SET-UP (1949)
Run Time 72:00
Subtitles English SDH
Sound Quality DTS HD-Master Audio 2.0 - English
Aspect Ratio ORIGINAL ASPECT RATIO - 1.37:1, 4 X 3 FULL FRAME
Product Color BLACK & WHITE
Disc Configuration BD 25
Special Feature:
Commentary by director Robert Wise and Martin Scorsese

Boxing Wednesdays. Wrestling on Fridays. Stoker Thompson is on Paradise City’s Wednesday card, fighting after the main event. He’s been 20 years in the game and is sure he’s just one punch away from big paydays. But there’s one thing Stoker doesn’t yet know: his manager wants him to take a dive tonight.
The Set-Up comes out swinging as one of the great films about the so-called sweet science. Robert Wise directs, shaping real-time events into an acclaimed and unsparing film-noir look at the stale-air venues, bloodthirsty fans, ring savagery and delusional dreams of boxing’s palooka world. Robert Ryan embraces perhaps his fi nest screen hour as Stoker. Audrey Totter, an icon of the noir genre like Ryan, plays Stoker’s steadfast wife. In a sport that would take their last flicker of dignity, the Thompsons are reclaiming theirs.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#1002 Post by domino harvey » Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:25 pm

FINALLY! And thus completes the first Film Noir box on Blu

senseabove

#1003 Post by senseabove » Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:42 pm

The Letter as well!

captveg

#1004 Post by captveg » Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:40 pm

Also forthcoming in September are Warner Archive reissues of Dial M for Murder 3D and Kiss Me Kate 3D on 9/10, as well as a reissue of Action Jackson on 9/24.

agnamaracs

#1005 Post by agnamaracs » Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:18 am

I wish they'd taken the opportunity to change the Dial M cover art.

Glad it's coming back, in any case. It went out of print when the third 3D boom fizzled out.

TMDaines

#1006 Post by TMDaines » Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:38 am

Ahh, the 3D boom. Had forgotten all about that.

captveg

#1007 Post by captveg » Thu Aug 29, 2019 2:56 pm

3D is still worth it for the vintage 50s titles that are slowly dripping out, most notably from Kino / 3D Film Archive.

I hope the reason House of Wax 3D isn't among these reissues is that they are waiting for WA to release Phantom of the Rue Morgue 3D alongside it, but a release of the later is probably very unlikely to happen.

dwk

#1008 Post by dwk » Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:56 pm

October Blu-rays:
The Fearless Vampire Killers
From Beyond the Grave
Don’t Be Afraid of the Dark
Days of Wine and Roses
Shazam: The Complete Live Action Series (1974-1977)
Last edited by dwk on Wed Sep 18, 2019 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

What A Disgrace

#1009 Post by What A Disgrace » Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:59 pm

Wait, does this mean that all of the Amicus anthology films are on Blu-ray now?

The Elegant Dandy Fop

#1010 Post by The Elegant Dandy Fop » Wed Sep 18, 2019 3:49 pm

I saw The Fearless Vampire Killers ten years ago and thought it was Polanski's worst film. Am I right in the opinion or is it better than I remember? I had a friend catch a screening of it about two years ago and they loved it. I'm sure the appeal is there for the re-release consider the Polanski/Tate connection.

dustybooks

#1011 Post by dustybooks » Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:14 pm

I've always loved it but I love extremely dumb/goofy comedies of that era, and was very young when it initially made its impression on me, so I'm very sympathetic to the view that it's actually dreadful... though it does look pretty splendid in production design terms.

Roscoe

#1012 Post by Roscoe » Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:25 pm

The Elegant Dandy Fop wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 3:49 pm
I saw The Fearless Vampire Killers ten years ago and thought it was Polanski's worst film. Am I right in the opinion or is it better than I remember? I had a friend catch a screening of it about two years ago and they loved it. I'm sure the appeal is there for the re-release consider the Polanski/Tate connection.
It's faintly amusing in places, but it tries way too hard. It features the best gimmick about the whole vampires-not-appearing-in-mirrors thing ever.

FrauBlucher

#1013 Post by FrauBlucher » Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:47 pm

Hhhhmmm, Days of Wine and Roses. I believe that’s been high on Domino’s list for a release. Thought it may be CC bound because of the Blake Edwards’ phantom page

therewillbeblus

#1014 Post by therewillbeblus » Wed Sep 18, 2019 5:05 pm

FrauBlucher wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:47 pm
Hhhhmmm, Days of Wine and Roses. I believe that’s been high on Domino’s list for a release. Thought it may be CC bound because of the Blake Edwards’ phantom page
That would be terrific, especially if it included the Playhouse 90 version, which I arguably prefer mostly due to Piper Laurie's spot-on performance. One of the best depictions of active alcoholism ever put on screen, so gritty it makes still-good presentations like The Lost Weekend look like a contrived stage play.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#1015 Post by swo17 » Wed Sep 18, 2019 5:28 pm

That one's already in the CC

Gregory

#1016 Post by Gregory » Wed Sep 18, 2019 6:19 pm

Good grief, SHAZAM! is unbelievably awful. The live-action Batman series is the Sistine Chapel compared to this.

dwk

#1017 Post by dwk » Wed Sep 18, 2019 6:47 pm

A couple more WAC Blus announced today:
Veronica Mars (2019) Season 1
Mr. Nice Guy Extended original cut (includes the shorted US cut that New Line Cinema released)

The Elegant Dandy Fop

#1018 Post by The Elegant Dandy Fop » Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:13 pm

The films Sammo Hung directed are all fantastic and feature some of the most painful looking stunts in all of Hong Kong cinema. Mr. Nice Guy is a very unexpected and nice release to get from WAC considering a lot of their Golden Harvest titles feel half-assed like the other Hung film, Pedicab Driver. Very surprising release and I'm always happy to see renewed interest in Jackie Chan.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#1019 Post by domino harvey » Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:48 pm

FrauBlucher wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:47 pm
Absolutely would have been in my top ten of most wanted WB DVD upgrades if I had such a thing, so yep! Great news. I got way too excited thinking the announcement of Don't Be Afraid of the Dark was for Don't Go to Sleep, which is also owned by WB now-- maybe next Halloween...
therewillbeblus wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 5:05 pm
That would be terrific, especially if it included the Playhouse 90 version, which I arguably prefer mostly due to Piper Laurie's spot-on performance.
I prefer Lee Remick because she's Lee Remick

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#1020 Post by domino harvey » Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:51 pm

Literally all I remember about it is that Sharon Tate looks gorgeous in it-- that alone may be enough of a selling point, though!

Feego

#1021 Post by Feego » Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:14 pm

I very much enjoy The Fearless Vampire Killers, but it's an incredibly odd duck. It has enough pratfalls, boob shots, Jewish stereotypes, and gay panic to put Mel Brooks to shame, and yet the tone is not one of brash burlesque. The comedy is defused by a cold despair that's mostly due to Douglas Slocombe's cinematography and Krzysztof Komeda's bizarre score, which create a dank, decaying, otherworldly atmosphere. The movie is never exactly laugh-out-loud funny nor particularly scary but rather has a strange dreamlike quality that I find compelling. It often seems funnier to me in hindsight than when I'm actually watching it, which may not be much of a recommendation, but it's certainly gorgeous to look at (and hear), as dustybooks mentioned.

dwk

#1022 Post by dwk » Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:38 pm

Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:13 pm
The films Sammo Hung directed are all fantastic and feature some of the most painful looking stunts in all of Hong Kong cinema. Mr. Nice Guy is a very unexpected and nice release to get from WAC considering a lot of their Golden Harvest titles feel half-assed like the other Hung film, Pedicab Driver. Very surprising release and I'm always happy to see renewed interest in Jackie Chan.
One of the reasons that I was happy about WB licensing to Shout is that I figured that they'd be interested in releasing some of WB's Golden Harvest titles on Blu-ray, but, apart from the Sonny Chiba Streetfighter films, I think all Shout licensed were horror titles. And it now seems that that deal is done as I can't remember the last WB title that Shout announced.

Rayon Vert
Green is the Rayest Color

#1023 Post by Rayon Vert » Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:45 pm

Roscoe wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:25 pm
It's faintly amusing in places, but it tries way too hard. It features the best gimmick about the whole vampires-not-appearing-in-mirrors thing ever.
To me What? easily beats it as his worst film (I haven't seen Based on a True Story yet), but apart from the prettiness and the agile shots, yeah it's only lightly amusing, overly long and much too slow-paced.

therewillbeblus

#1024 Post by therewillbeblus » Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:46 pm

domino harvey wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:48 pm
therewillbeblus wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 5:05 pm
That would be terrific, especially if it included the Playhouse 90 version, which I arguably prefer mostly due to Piper Laurie's spot-on performance.
I prefer Lee Remick because she's Lee Remick
Touché - Lee Remick is the more captivating actress, and terrific in the Edwards film, though I remember going into the Playhouse 90 version years after seeing the ‘62 one expecting something of a lame caliber and being blown away. Laurie’s perf shook me hard, but likely due to a cocktail of subdued expectations and my own personal experience with what I look for in presentations of this subject. Still, both actresses are so good in the role it’s almost unfair to compare their own takes on the character. I’d love to watch them side by side one day, though I’m not sure I have enough masochism in me to take that ride.

Roger Ryan

#1025 Post by Roger Ryan » Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:00 pm

Gregory wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 6:19 pm
Good grief, SHAZAM! is unbelievably awful. The live-action Batman series is the Sistine Chapel compared to this.
To be fair, Shazam! was a Saturday morning TV series (as opposed to the prime time Batman). Still, I recall it being weaker than it's sister series Isis (now, apparently, known as The Secrets of Isis - attempting to avoid terrorist connotations?). It's probable they were both equally bad, but I needed something to watch while eating my Cocoa Krispies in the mid-70s. Fun Fact: I see that IMDb lists "Spahn Ranch" as a location used for Isis!