Arrow Announcements, Speculation & Wild, Irresponsible Conjecture

News on Arrow Video releases.

Moderators: MichaelB, yoloswegmaster

palntsc

Re: Arrow Announcements, Speculation & Wild, Irresponsible Conjecture

#1226 Post by palntsc » Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:32 am

Really hoping that it's The Far Country...

FigrinDan
The Immortal Dead

#1227 Post by FigrinDan » Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:46 pm

Amazon is listing Hellraiser and Hellbound: Hellraiser II for September 24th.

nitin

#1228 Post by nitin » Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:18 pm

At least The Far Country but I suppose they may also release Bend of the River too.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#1229 Post by swo17 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:26 pm

FigrinDan wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:46 pm
Amazon is listing Hellraiser and Hellbound: Hellraiser II for September 24th.
Ah, because Jimmy Stewart burns in hell

FrauBlucher

#1230 Post by FrauBlucher » Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:23 am

Oh no, not Jimmy Stewart.

JSC

#1231 Post by JSC » Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:32 am

Oh no, not Jimmy Stewart.
Maybe Stewart took Mr. Potter's deal after all. I guess that means Clarence really
came down to Earth for another reason...(insert villainous laughter).

onedimension

#1232 Post by onedimension » Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:22 am

nitin wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:18 pm
At least The Far Country but I suppose they may also release Bend of the River too.
I’m hoping Arrow or Indicator do a region A Stewart/Mann westerns box - Kino got the rights to one of them and made it impossible for Criterion to put it together.

onedimension

#1233 Post by onedimension » Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:22 am

I saw that picture, too, though - the big blue rabbit next to him seemed like an obvious clue for Harvey

senseabove

#1234 Post by senseabove » Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:35 am

The Far Country and Pick-Up Alley. There go those beautiful dreams of a Stewart/Mann box...

rapta

#1235 Post by rapta » Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:13 pm

senseabove wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:35 am
The Far Country and Pick-Up Alley. There go those beautiful dreams of a Stewart/Mann box...
Could be because another label got the other films? I notice the UK rights for Winchester '73 and Bend of the River aren't available so it's possible MoC or Indicator (or Arrow themselves) have plans for those two.

PS: Curiously it seems Stragetic Air Command (Paramount) is also unavailable, as is the Victor Mature-starring The Last Frontier (Sony), but Thunder Bay is still available for licensing. Odd if MoC/Indicator skipped the chance to do a mini Mann box set, but perhaps there's a reason for that.

AidanKing

#1236 Post by AidanKing » Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:05 am

The Film Comment website reviewed a restoration of the long version of Francesco Rosi's 'Christ Stopped at Eboli' a while ago. I imagine Arrow would have picked it up for BluRay release if MichaelB was still producing discs for them but hopefully someone will put it out. The previous DVD release of the short version by Infinity Arthouse was not a particularly good transfer.

Ribs

#1237 Post by Ribs » Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:21 am

Rialto released it, so it's not really something that's just open to licensing from a variety of labels. Film Forum (which obviously has an inside track with Rialto) kept reiterating there is no home video release planned for this movie on Twitter which only really means that it's not happening in the US for sure but I don't imagine it will come out any time soon from anyone.

Adam X

#1238 Post by Adam X » Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:18 am

Looks like RoboCop’s finally being announced this week.

Toby Dammit

#1239 Post by Toby Dammit » Thu Aug 29, 2019 11:47 am

It will be possible for Arrow Academy to consider realise Giuseppe Patroni Griffi's 'Tis Pity She's a Whore ??

No BluRay edition was realised in USA or UK to date I think

dwk

#1240 Post by dwk » Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:58 am

UK title per Amazon Uk:
Robocop
Robocop Steelbook
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
Hitchhike to Hell

FigrinDan
The Immortal Dead

#1241 Post by FigrinDan » Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:31 am

Arrow announcement via Twitter:
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas (Limited Edition) UK
Robocop (Limited Edition) UK US CN
Robocop Steelbook (Limited Edition) UK US CN
Hitchhike to Hell UK US CN
Flowers in the Attic US CN
Apprentice to Murder US CN
Ringu UK AMZN

colinr0380

#1242 Post by colinr0380 » Fri Aug 30, 2019 5:52 pm

Toby Dammit wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 11:47 am
It will be possible for Arrow Academy to consider realise Giuseppe Patroni Griffi's 'Tis Pity She's a Whore ??

No BluRay edition was realised in USA or UK to date I think
I would very much second this. It would mean I could retire my mid 90s Redemption Video VHS tape of it as well! (Has it ever come out anywhere even on DVD?)

Toby Dammit

#1243 Post by Toby Dammit » Sat Aug 31, 2019 9:39 am

colinr0380 wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 5:52 pm

I would very much second this. It would mean I could retire my mid 90s Redemption Video VHS tape of it as well! (Has it ever come out anywhere even on DVD?)
Yes, in Italy, DVD by Raro Video. No english subtitles

https://www.amazon.it/Addio-Fratello-Cr ... 332&sr=8-1

colinr0380

#1244 Post by colinr0380 » Sat Aug 31, 2019 10:44 am

Toby Dammit wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2019 9:39 am
colinr0380 wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 5:52 pm
Yes, in Italy, DVD by Raro Video. No english subtitles
https://www.amazon.it/Addio-Fratello-Cr ... 332&sr=8-1
Looking at that back cover (I was unsure why the Amazon page listed the running time as 140 minutes and it looks as if they have accidentally swapped a couple of digits around as the back cover grab shows it as 104 minutes, which is the same run time as my Redemption VHS) I was reminded that it is a Vittorio Storaro shot film. It is a 1.85:1 ratio film and that Italian DVD came out in 2015 in that ratio, so maybe it has escaped the Storaro re-framing of all of his work into 2.00:1 whether it was originally intended for that ratio or not, but perhaps that might be a factor in the film's obscurity now. Along with, you know, the theme of tragic incest!

Calvin

#1245 Post by Calvin » Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:32 am

To continue the Universal chat (/wild, irresponsible conjecture) here instead of on the Inglourious Basterds thread, if that and Crimson Peak have been licensed to Arrow I don't suppose that the likes of Michael Mann's Blackhat and Miami Vice would be off limits either.

And when it comes to Universal's Hitchcocks, Turbine licensed the original for their Legacy Collection set that came out earlier this year and included the "uncut" version with additional footage added in from a German 35mm print. I doubt it will remain exclusive to the German set forever.

rapta

#1246 Post by rapta » Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:21 am

Calvin wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:32 am
To continue the Universal chat (/wild, irresponsible conjecture) here instead of on the Inglourious Basterds thread, if that and Crimson Peak have been licensed to Arrow I don't suppose that the likes of Michael Mann's Blackhat and Miami Vice would be off limits either.

And when it comes to Universal's Hitchcocks, Turbine licensed the original for their Legacy Collection set that came out earlier this year and included the "uncut" version with additional footage added in from a German 35mm print. I doubt it will remain exclusive to the German set forever.
Ooh, some Michael Mann would be excellent. Of course the DC of Blackhat would be especially exciting, but I wouldn't mind a beefed up edition of Miami Vice either. In fact they could even do a double-bill of the two as they actually feel like they follow each other tonally. And of course, the other Mann title they could consider is Public Enemies (though arguably not as good quality as those other two, in my humble opinion). That said, does Mann have veto power over these releases? I assume he allowed Thief but these three are more recent titles and he might be feeling a little more precious about them. I still hope a company like Arrow will get Manhunter one day so they can properly restore it...

As for Hitchcock, I'm down for basically any of the Universal-owned catalogue (the late 60's/early 70's stuff less so) and Psycho would obviously be top of Arrow's list (especially after they already handled Psycho II). However, the thing that might hold them back from doing such an exhaustive release is that Turbine already did it and they might then see it as pointless unless they could see a good return on it; I vaguely remember Fran Simeoni was once asked if Arrow would consider licensing The Big Gundown (or was it The Swimmer?) from Sony and he basically said 'what's the point?' due to there being the region-free Grindhouse release with plenty of extras still available; they might feel the same about Psycho. I guess they could still do the original with the 'uncut' version added like you say, and maybe even throw in the Gus Van Sant remake as a Limited Edition exclusive, and produce their own disc of extras (the rights for 78/52 are likely still with Dogwoof).

dwk

#1247 Post by dwk » Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:08 pm

Manhunter is never going to happen as StudioCanal own the UK rights. I'm not sure Arrow would want to deal with working with Mann and doing editions of any of his most recent films, they likely would have to.

TwoTecs

#1248 Post by TwoTecs » Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:16 pm

Out of the loop here: Mann has a problem working with boutique labels?

CSM126

#1249 Post by CSM126 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:26 pm

TwoTecs wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:16 pm
Out of the loop here: Mann has a problem working with boutique labels?
I think the issue is the labels having to deal with Mann tinkering with color timing endlessly instead of going with the original color scheme of the given film.

dwk

#1250 Post by dwk » Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:20 pm

If I'm not misremembering, Michael Brooke hinted that he heard that Criterion had a bit of a nightmare working with him on Thief.

Anyway, after dealing with Hurricane Billy, I'm not sure that Arrow wants to deal with another difficult director.