Long Day's Journey into Night (Bi Gan, 2018)

Discussions of specific films and franchises.
BenoitRouilly

Re: Long Day's Journey into Night (Bi Gan, 2018)

#26 Post by BenoitRouilly » Wed Jul 24, 2019 4:36 am

Wow 35 films in the same week is a lot to digest! Good luck! What festival is that?

zedz

#27 Post by zedz » Wed Jul 24, 2019 4:38 pm

Auckland. But twelve of those were shorts!

If you liked Long Day's Journey into Night, you should definitely check out The Wild Goose Lake. It's a much straighter film, but in a similar noirish vein. In that case the European cross-pollination with Wong Kar-Wai (who seems to be resurging as an influence in a number of recent films) comes courtesy Bresson and Melville rather than Tarkovsky / Angelopoulos.

BenoitRouilly

#28 Post by BenoitRouilly » Wed Jul 24, 2019 4:49 pm

Yeah I heard about the Wild Goose Lake during Cannes. But it's out on Nov 27th over here... I'm looking forward. I did enjoy Black Coal.

nitin

#29 Post by nitin » Wed Jul 24, 2019 6:27 pm

Seeing both at the Melbourne International Film Festival in a couple of weeks!

Aunt Peg

#30 Post by Aunt Peg » Thu Jul 25, 2019 1:27 am

Aren't Kino releasing this on Blu Ray in August/September?

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#31 Post by domino harvey » Thu Jul 25, 2019 1:28 am

In 3-D, no less

Aunt Peg

#32 Post by Aunt Peg » Thu Jul 25, 2019 2:10 am

domino harvey wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 1:28 am
In 3-D, no less
Will there be a non-3D version released on Blu Ray?

dda1996a

#33 Post by dda1996a » Thu Jul 25, 2019 6:27 am

I imagine it will be like most 3D releases, in that it turns on the effect only if you have a 3D TV and Blu Ray player, but plays regularly if not

nitin

#34 Post by nitin » Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:08 am

How will that work when only some of the film is meant to be in 3D?

dda1996a

#35 Post by dda1996a » Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:27 am

I'm guessing like the film works, when it turns into a 3D one in the middle. (I'll know.more when I see it this week). But that's an interesting question. How does it work during projection, from someone with the technical knowledge?

Roger Ryan

#36 Post by Roger Ryan » Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:54 am

dda1996a wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:27 am
I'm guessing like the film works, when it turns into a 3D one in the middle. (I'll know.more when I see it this week). But that's an interesting question. How does it work during projection, from someone with the technical knowledge?
It strikes me that there are two ways of doing this: one, the viewer wears the polarized or LCD shutter glasses throughout, but the two images being projected are identical until the actual 3D section begins, then the two images are separated to represent the left eye and right eye; two, the non-3D portions of the film are projected normally and the viewer is asked to put on the glasses only when the 3D section begins.

I don't believe you can encode a 3D Blu-ray file to play in normal 2D if you don't have the proper equipment (player and TV); there would need to be two separate discs or two separate files, one with the 3D content and one strictly 2D throughout.

The Fanciful Norwegian

#37 Post by The Fanciful Norwegian » Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:28 am

Roger Ryan wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:54 am
It strikes me that there are two ways of doing this: one, the viewer wears the polarized or LCD shutter glasses throughout, but the two images being projected are identical until the actual 3D section begins, then the two images are separated to represent the left eye and right eye; two, the non-3D portions of the film are projected normally and the viewer is asked to put on the glasses only when the 3D section begins.
Long Day's Journey Into Night has a cue partway through the film (which I won't spoil here) indicating when to put on the glasses, but I think the first method would work even if the viewer didn't have the glasses on throughout. It's been a while since I've seen a movie in 3D, and in fact I think this was the last one, but my recollection is that when I remove the 3D glasses in the middle of a 3D movie, the sections of the image that have no depth in 3D appear normal. But it has been awhile, so I might be misremembering.
I don't believe you can encode a 3D Blu-ray file to play in normal 2D if you don't have the proper equipment (player and TV); there would need to be two separate discs or two separate files, one with the 3D content and one strictly 2D throughout.
Blu-ray 3D uses a separate video stream for each eye, and the spec's default is that the left-eye stream will play back in isolation on 2D equipment. But a common practice is to lock the 3D streams to 3D equipment only and use a completely separate encode for 2D viewing—possibly because the 3D streams are supposed to be brighter (to compensate for the light lost to the glasses) and using the same encode for both formats means it'll either be too dark in 3D or too bright in 2D.

zedz

#38 Post by zedz » Thu Jul 25, 2019 4:18 pm

dda1996a wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:27 am
I expect that the projectionist does some kind of switchover at the correct point, because at the screening I attended something had to be switched back before the film commenced. When the slides came on (turn off your cell phones, no rustling) before the movie, they were glitchy with flashes of green. They had to stop and restart with the correct setting. I assumed this was because they'd done a test of the 3D beforehand and hadn't reset the projector for regular 2D projection. The switch over might have been for the feature itself, with the whole thing projected in 3D but with identical 'channels' for the first half, but if that were the case I suspect they would have just made us suffer through 30 seconds of glitchy slides rather than restart the projection. All guesswork!

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#39 Post by tenia » Thu Jul 25, 2019 5:29 pm

The French BD of Long Day's Journey is encoded this way : a 3D disc that can be decoded in 2D. This way, the label only payed for 1 BD-50 and 1 encode (though the bitrate could have been increased, the disc space isnt used as much as it could have).

Having a separate 2D encode also allows for a lesser compressed AVC stream and more greedy soundtracks. Typically, the 3D disc would be 20Mbps AVC + 13Mbps MVC + DTS HD MA 5.1 and the 2D disc 30Mbps AVC + Dolby TrueHD Atmos.

nitin

#40 Post by nitin » Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:44 am

So it’s a 3D encoded disc but plays like 2D (ie you don’t need the glasses) until it switches over to ‘true’ 3D? Or do you have to wear glasses throughout.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#41 Post by swo17 » Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:13 am

If you wear the glasses during the first part of the film there's no 3D effect so it would probably just look unnecessarily darker. As others have mentioned, there's a cue in the film to put your glasses on when it's time.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#42 Post by tenia » Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:35 am

I havent look at it precisely from an encode point of view and am only equipped in 2D myself so can't check it formally but I guess, because of how the film is done (which swo reminded above), the MVC stream is blank until the cue, the title card appears and then the 3D stream kicks off.
Seeing how, in 2D, there is no difference in brightness before and after the cue, wearing your glasses all the way through woukd definitely yield you a darker picture than it should (the movie being already quite dark).

nitin

#43 Post by nitin » Sat Aug 03, 2019 3:30 am

Zedz,
SpoilerShow
Why do you say the mother was incarcerated and that the woman in the prison was his mother’s friend? I got the impression from the dream sequence that his mother left him and his father and went away with the beekeeper/neighbour (which also explained why shy didn’t get stung by bees when she went and got honey from the neighbour each day). I also thought it was Wang QiWen who was incarcerated (and therefore the woman in the prison knew her and the green book was also hers as she knew about the poem and the house in the dream sequence) but before she moved to Kaili to try and become a singer.

Interested to hear what I may have missed/overlooked

zedz

#44 Post by zedz » Sat Aug 03, 2019 3:50 am

I think that information came from Sylvia Chang’s character (who tells him about his mother’s colleague), and the subsequent interview. Though in the dream sequence the identities of the female characters (and actors) coalesce in a way that confuses things. I think the bee stuff also pertains to the mother, but that information only appears in the dream sequence, right? Which makes it hard to assess as true or symbolic. Hoping this is bewildering and vague enough to not act as a spoiler!

dda1996a

#45 Post by dda1996a » Sat Aug 03, 2019 3:57 am

I do need to watch this a second time (I loved it, best film I saw during the festival), but I have a feeling the different storylines don't exactly add up in the end.
SpoilerShow

The green notebook appears with the lady in green the entire film, and in the torture karaoke scene it appears Lou Hongwu is the one being torturedz not Wildcat?
At first I thought the past scenes were his father, playing on how father and son look similar, but that doesn't work as well.
/spoiler]

nitin

#46 Post by nitin » Sat Aug 03, 2019 8:47 am

zedz wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2019 3:50 am
I think that information came from Sylvia Chang’s character (who tells him about his mother’s colleague), and the subsequent interview. Though in the dream sequence the identities of the female characters (and actors) coalesce in a way that confuses things. I think the bee stuff also pertains to the mother, but that information only appears in the dream sequence, right? Which makes it hard to assess as true or symbolic. Hoping this is bewildering and vague enough to not act as a spoiler!
SpoilerShow
Sylvia Chang’s character first asks him why his mother never got stung by bees when he tells her his mother used to go and get honey from the beekeeper/neighbour every day. In the dream sequence, the mother character/stand in tells him she wants to go with the man because he at least gave her honey.

Also, towards the end of the dream sequence, I thought it was implied that perhaps the two lovers in the spinning house story were his mother and the beekeeper/neighbour as Kaizhen says in the burned down house in the last scene that the pantry used to have lots of honey
Not that any of it matters obviously, the actual exact history is undoubtedly not meant to be definitive given what the movie is trying to do, which is swirl up the past into a fragmented mix of memory and fiction that he is trying to hold on to and make sense of.

nitin

#47 Post by nitin » Sat Aug 03, 2019 8:49 am

dda1996a wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2019 3:57 am
I do need to watch this a second time (I loved it, best film I saw during the festival), but I have a feeling the different storylines don't exactly add up in the end.
SpoilerShow

The green notebook appears with the lady in green the entire film, and in the torture karaoke scene it appears Lou Hongwu is the one being torturedz not Wildcat?
At first I thought the past scenes were his father, playing on how father and son look similar, but that doesn't work as well.
/spoiler]
SpoilerShow
There is another more abstract looking torture scene in a car in a car wash, shot through the back windshield.

dda1996a

#48 Post by dda1996a » Sat Aug 03, 2019 9:40 am

Oh that's right. I thought Zedz meant the other one.
He really did go all out with the Tarkovsky references though (but I'm not complaining!)

nitin

#49 Post by nitin » Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:32 am

zedz wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 4:38 pm
Auckland. But twelve of those were shorts!

If you liked Long Day's Journey into Night, you should definitely check out The Wild Goose Lake. It's a much straighter film, but in a similar noirish vein. In that case the European cross-pollination with Wong Kar-Wai (who seems to be resurging as an influence in a number of recent films) comes courtesy Bresson and Melville rather than Tarkovsky / Angelopoulos.
Really like The Wild Goose Lake too, although to me Mann also seemed to be a key influence in its use of space in the action scenes.

Mr Sausage

#50 Post by Mr Sausage » Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:32 am

I normally skip 3D when I can, so I'm wondering: should I see this in 3D or is it OK to skip?

2D screenings are more plentiful where I am, it seems, so I'm just wondering if I should make the extra effort.