Kino Lorber Studio Classics

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
Blutarsky

Re: Kino Lorber Studio Classics Acquisitions

#2101 Post by Blutarsky » Tue Jul 02, 2019 3:38 pm

Der Spieler wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 3:10 pm
Blutarsky wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 2:48 am
I just checked the Kino site and Bob Le Flambeur ceases to be found under any search engine. Is there a shake-up going on with the release? Or is it a site malfunction?

Edit: More than likely a site malfunction from my end.
Léon Morin, Priest isn't available from Amazon Canada either. Well it is but only from third parties and you have to search the precise ASIN if you want to find the right edition.
All of the films are on backorder through Amazon US and all are expected to be delivered to me by July 9th-14th. I lost my Le Doulos copy to an ex and I just want to rewatch it!!!! Is that too much to ask [-o<

Cronenfly

#2102 Post by Cronenfly » Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:19 pm

Anyone know what’s going on with The Silent Partner? It seems to be out of stock a lot of places, and expensive where it is available.

jazzo

#2103 Post by jazzo » Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:38 pm

Copies are trickling in. I just picked up my copy from Bay Street Video here in Toronto. And for any interested fellow Canadians out there, even though it’s a Canadian film, the blu-ray is a US release only, and only available as an expensive import. The Canadian rights are held by someone else.

Still. It’s worth it. Fucking incredible film.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#2104 Post by domino harvey » Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:39 pm

No one should be buying any Kino Lorber titles right now, they're all going to be on sale at the end of the month and KL is the one boutique label out there that really discounts the hell out of their movies during sales (60-70% off prices are not unusual)

jazzo

#2105 Post by jazzo » Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:41 pm

An addendum. When it was first released, Criterion’s Scanners was also only available as an expensive import. I see it everywhere now, so maybe once the rights expire up here, Kino will release it domestically.

Glowingwabbit

#2106 Post by Glowingwabbit » Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:58 pm

domino harvey wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:39 pm
No one should be buying any Kino Lorber titles right now, they're all going to be on sale at the end of the month and KL is the one boutique label out there that really discounts the hell out of their movies during sales (60-70% off prices are not unusual)
I assume thats just for the KL Stuido Classics line? I agree those sales are great but dont usually include the most recent releases for those whose can't wait on particular titles.

Gregory

#2107 Post by Gregory » Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:07 pm

domino harvey wrote:
Well, all of those who keep posting in threads "Day one purchase," "Day of release purchase for me," etc. need to keep buying things the day they're released in order to honor the promises they've made to the forum.

But in all seriousness, are you referring to a DeepDiscount sale, and has this been announced somewhere or is this based on the precedent of a similar sale last summer? I don't recall hearing about many large label-wide discounts on that site in quite a while (maybe they happened and just weren't posted about here on the forum?). I'm not doubting you, just hoping to find out more.

Glowingwabbit

#2108 Post by Glowingwabbit » Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:14 pm

Gregory wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:07 pm
domino harvey wrote:
Well, all of those who keep posting in threads "Day one purchase," "Day of release purchase for me," etc. need to keep buying things the day they're released in order to honor the promises they've made to the forum.

But in all seriousness, are you referring to a DeepDiscount sale, and has this been announced somewhere or is this based on the precedent of a similar sale last summer? I don't recall hearing about many large label-wide discounts on that site in quite a while (maybe they happened and just weren't posted about here on the forum?). I'm not doubting you, just hoping to find out more.
I was just on bluray.com and I all saw was something about a KL Studio Classics sale at the end of July. Doubtful the Godards and Melvilles are a part of that. Although at 17.99 a piece they could help people get to the free shipping threshold during the sale.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#2109 Post by domino harvey » Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:42 pm

Gregory wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:07 pm
domino harvey wrote:

It’s on their website, not DD. There was a sale last year where every title was on sale, this looks to be the same thing only updated with the 3000 titles they’ve released this year and restricted to the Studio Classics line. I paid like $7.99-$8.99 for a ton of $29.99 MSRP Blus last time, I expect more of the same, and even if not as steep, they’ll be cheaper than Amazon or DD on a good day.

The Godards are not Studio Classics titles, so they won’t be on sale

Kino Insider

#2110 Post by Kino Insider » Wed Jul 03, 2019 12:10 pm

Coming Early 2020!
A 3-D Restoration by 3-D Film Archive!

Taza, Son of Cochise (1954) Starring Rock Hudson as Taza, Barbara Rush as Oona and Jeff Chandler as Cochise – Shot by Russell Metty (Midnight Lace) – Music by Frank Skinner (The Appaloosa) – Screenplay and Story by George Zuckerman (99 River Street) and Gerald Drayson Adams (Wings of the Hawk) – Directed by Douglas Sirk (The Tarnished Angels).

Der Spieler

#2111 Post by Der Spieler » Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:02 pm

Does anybody know if the standalone releases of SPIES and WOMAN IN THE MOON now contain the corrected discs from the Fritz Lang box set?

Kino low-key acknowledged the error but never bothered to do a replacement program so I wanted to make sure before buying the movies for a friend's birthday.

HinkyDinkyTruesmith

#2112 Post by HinkyDinkyTruesmith » Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:25 pm

I watched Spies and it looked both correct and magnificent.

Der Spieler

#2113 Post by Der Spieler » Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:47 pm

Was it in glorious 1.33:1?

Did you buy it from Kino directly?

HinkyDinkyTruesmith

#2114 Post by HinkyDinkyTruesmith » Fri Jul 05, 2019 1:13 am

I believe it was! I bought the box set through B&N––but it's on sale on Amazon for the next 50 minutes for 63 bucks!

I'm hesitant to say absolutely it was 1.33, for whatever reason, because I watched it last October. However, I am sensitive to correct aspect ratio, and I was aware of the controversy over the aspect ratio for SPIES, and I watched it, and I did not have any problems with its presentation, so I'm pretty sure that the box set version is correct. At least mine was.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#2115 Post by domino harvey » Fri Jul 05, 2019 1:25 am

I believe the reason he's asking is because the solo releases before the box were in the wrong aspect ratio and it sounded like you were talking about the single release, not the box. The aspect ratios in the box are all correct/fixed

Der Spieler

#2116 Post by Der Spieler » Fri Jul 05, 2019 1:34 am

domino harvey wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 1:25 am
I believe the reason he's asking is because the solo releases before the box were in the wrong aspect ratio and it sounded like you were talking about the single release, not the box. The aspect ratios in the box are all correct/fixed
Exactly. I'm trying to figure out if the single releases are now corrected.

I sent an email to Kino a few months ago and the person who answered told me there never was a problem with these discs.....

HinkyDinkyTruesmith

#2117 Post by HinkyDinkyTruesmith » Fri Jul 05, 2019 1:38 am

Oh, excuse me––I just reread your initial question––and I now see where I misread.

nitin

#2118 Post by nitin » Fri Jul 05, 2019 1:45 am

Der Spieler wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 1:34 am
domino harvey wrote:

I sent an email to Kino a few months ago and the person who answered told me there never was a problem with these discs.....
Surely that person also told you to ‘get a life’?

Der Spieler

#2119 Post by Der Spieler » Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:55 pm

nitin wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 1:45 am
Der Spieler wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 1:34 am
domino harvey wrote:

Surely that person also told you to ‘get a life’?
Haha! To be fair the person seemed genuinely clueless and not arrogant.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#2120 Post by domino harvey » Fri Jul 05, 2019 2:45 pm

Frank Perry’s Ladybug Ladybug coming soon

DRW.mov

#2121 Post by DRW.mov » Fri Jul 05, 2019 4:00 pm

domino harvey wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 2:45 pm
Frank Perry’s Ladybug Ladybug coming soon
Fantastic! This has been unavailable for far too long. Here’s hoping KL nabs more unreleased Perry like Play It As it Lays and Diary of a Mad Housewife.

FrauBlucher

#2122 Post by FrauBlucher » Fri Jul 05, 2019 4:06 pm

I do think CC has one of those titles based on their old phantom pages.

DRW.mov

#2123 Post by DRW.mov » Fri Jul 05, 2019 5:30 pm

FrauBlucher wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 4:06 pm
I do think CC has one of those titles based on their old phantom pages.
In their social post for LADYBUG LADGBUG Kino does credit Eleanor Perry with Diary of a Mad Housewife after her name. Wouldn’t be surprised if they had that in their pipeline already (Kino loves keeping those credits to their own titles). I really really hope of any Perry films thag Criterion may have that PLAY IT AS IT LAYS is among them. Imo its his best film and has the best performances Tuesday Weld or Anthony Perkins ever gave. Plus you know Crterion would want some Didion.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#2124 Post by domino harvey » Sat Jul 06, 2019 3:21 pm

Chabrol’s La ligne de demarcation announced as coming soon! This is a real hidden gem in Chabrol’s filmography and a great choice. Bring on allllll the Chabrols, please, KL

starmanof51

#2125 Post by starmanof51 » Sun Jul 07, 2019 12:36 am

domino harvey wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 3:21 pm
Chabrol’s La ligne de demarcation announced as coming soon! This is a real hidden gem in Chabrol’s filmography and a great choice. Bring on allllll the Chabrols, please, KL
Yes, please! So much needs rescuing. My own weird little want would be Les Godelureaux.