Warner Brothers Archive Collection Blu-rays

Discuss North American DVDs and Blu-rays or other DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
movielocke

Re: Warner Brothers Archive Collection Blu-rays

#951 Post by movielocke » Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:45 pm

FrauBlucher wrote:It’ll be curious to see how this looks. Isn’t this one of those titles where the source material is not the best. Warner may have spent a fortune on the restoration which might explain this getting a release only in the series.
The 35 mm prints I’ve seen look much better than the dvd or the filmstruck transfer. It looked quite bad on filmstruck, I’m guessing it was a pre dvd tcm element that was directly ported from the tcm server to filmstruck.

KJones77

#952 Post by KJones77 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:41 pm

Two new announcements so far:

Merrill's Marauders
Bronco Billy

Rayon Vert
Green is the Rayest Color

#953 Post by Rayon Vert » Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:23 pm

Really looking forward to Marauders. Not much significant Fuller left to release on blu (?).

senseabove

#954 Post by senseabove » Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:23 pm

After Summer Stock, Gaslight, and now this, I'm starting to get my hopes up that WAC is turning a corner...

NEW 2019 1080p HD MASTER!

FOOTLIGHT PARADE (1933)
Run Time 103:00
Subtitles English SDH
Sound Quality DTS HD-Master Audio 2.0 - English
Aspect Ratio 1.37:1, 4 X 3
Product Color BLACK & WHITE
Disc Configuration BD 50
Special Features: Featurette "Footlight Parade: Music for the Decades"; 2 Vintage Warner Bros. Shorts "Rambling 'Round Radio Row #8" and "Vaudeville Reel #1"; 4 Vintage Warner Bros. Cartoons: Honeymoon Hotel, Young and Healthy, One Step Ahead of My Shadow and Sittin' on a Backyard Fence; Theatrical Trailer (HD)

Footlight Parade is sheer cinematic joy. In this Depression-era romp, a timid stenographer (Ruby Keeler) removes her glasses and — wow! — she’s a star. A gee-whiz tenor (Dick Powell) asserts his independence. Plucky chorines tap, greedy hangers-on get their comeuppances, and an indefatigable producer/dancer (James Cagney) and his Girl Friday (Joan Blondell) work showbiz miracles to stage live prologues for talkie houses to keep their company afloat during hard times. Honeymoon Hotel, By a Waterfall and Shanghai Lil are the shows, directed by Busby Berkeley and filled with imagination-bending sets, startling camera angles, kaleidoscopic pageantry and a 20,000-gallon-per-minute waterfall. Curtain up!

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#955 Post by domino harvey » Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:35 pm

Would have preferred Dames but I’ll take it. Marauders is minor Fuller, but I also didn’t think it’d ever make it to Blu, so better it than some grade Z schlock from the vaults

FrauBlucher

#956 Post by FrauBlucher » Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:14 pm

They are acknowledging it's an MGM film on the cover. Don't recall that happening before.

Lowry_Sam

#957 Post by Lowry_Sam » Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:33 pm

Oh well, I guess another individual title is a small consolation for not getting a Criterion BB box.

FrauBlucher

#958 Post by FrauBlucher » Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:40 pm

Robert Harris over at HTF dropped this little blurb a few days back....
As to classics, and in line with my few words a year or so ago, I believe this will be a big summer for Warner Archive, with The Thin Man being the tip of the iceberg...

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#959 Post by domino harvey » Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:41 pm

Good, let’s hope

FrauBlucher

#960 Post by FrauBlucher » Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:53 pm

Details for The Thin Man:
NEW 2019 1080p HD MASTER RESTORED FROM NEW 4K SCAN OF BEST ARCHIVAL ELEMENTS!

THE THIN MAN (1934)
Run Time 91:00
Subtitles English SDH
Audio DTS HD-Master Audio 2.0 - English
Aspect Ratio 1.37:1, 4 X 3
Disc Configuration BD 50
Special Features: 1936 Lux Radio Theater Broadcast Starring Powell and Loy (Audio Only); 1957 Episode of “The Thin Man” television series - "Scene of the Crime"; Theatrical Trailer (HD)

senseabove

#961 Post by senseabove » Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:08 pm

FrauBlucher wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:40 pm
Robert Harris over at HTF dropped this little blurb a few days back....
As to classics, and in line with my few words a year or so ago, I believe this will be a big summer for Warner Archive, with The Thin Man being the tip of the iceberg...
I don't really follow much over there. I know he's got inside info from some labels, but does he have any history of it with WAC?

FrauBlucher

#962 Post by FrauBlucher » Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:57 pm

I believe he has communication with Feltenstein from Warner Brothers and then there's this

captveg

#963 Post by captveg » Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:35 am

EddieLarkin wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:53 pm
captveg wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:52 pm
I imagine they'll do additional films if it sells well, kinda like the Popeye shorts situation.
Any idea how 42nd Street sold?
I don't know, but my guess would be it didn't sell nearly as well as their 50s color musicals, just based on them going back to that latter well far more often.

FrauBlucher

#964 Post by FrauBlucher » Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:34 am

What Ever Happened to Baby Jane? and A Streetcar Named Desire have moved from the mothership to WAC
Last edited by FrauBlucher on Sat Jun 22, 2019 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jack Kubrick

#965 Post by Jack Kubrick » Sat Jun 22, 2019 2:42 pm

So much of the popular Warner Brothers classics are now part of the niche label that was designed for lesser known films?

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#966 Post by domino harvey » Sat Jun 22, 2019 2:48 pm

I think they’re just using it to soft rerelease their Digibook titles in lieu of repressing the packaging

Gregory

#967 Post by Gregory » Sun Jun 23, 2019 2:31 pm

The best bet for Streetcar (for the Region B compatible) seems to be the French Brando Collection, which in addition to Mutiny on the Bounty also includes Reflections in a Golden Eye, which the WAC people haven't seen fit to release at any point in the approximately seven years since the Blu-ray label was launched. I wonder if Reflections might go to Criterion, since they have a track record of releasing other Huston films, other 1960s Brando, and Wise Blood.

Altair

#968 Post by Altair » Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:23 am

I should warn that the French release of Reflections in a Golden Eye is very bad - forced French subs, which could be stomached if the image wasn't awful, barely HD quality, and with extremely washed out colour.

captveg

#969 Post by captveg » Tue Jul 02, 2019 12:15 pm

Facebook post from WB about their SDCC plans lists V: The Original Mini-Series (1983) as forthcoming:

Warner Archive Collection covers the past, present and future at 2019 Comic-Con International with a trio of entertaining panels slated for the weekend – a Thursday celebration of Popeye’s 90th Birthday; a Friday revisit to the landmark V: The Original Mini-Series, currently being remastered for Blu-ray; and a spotlight on The Jetsons (for its upcoming newly-remastered-for-Blu-ray release) and the terrific primetime history of Hanna-Barbera.

Adam X

#970 Post by Adam X » Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:22 am

Hooray! And none too soon, just when I was finally coming back round to considering buying the DVDs. Hopefully The Final Battle will follow soon after. Still not entirely sure I need the series, but I'm sure a Blu-Ray set would convince me Warner.

I just hope they honor their gem of a DVD release and make the disc/s flippers.

FrauBlucher

Warner Brothers Archive Collection Blu-rays

#971 Post by FrauBlucher » Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:08 am

bluray.com....Gaslight....Another beauty from WAC

dustybooks

#972 Post by dustybooks » Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:13 am

Yes, I was very impressed with the level of detail on Gaslight, a more sumptuous-looking film than I remembered, which really threw the unrestored SD transfer of the 1940 version into sharp relief. (I'm still glad they included it, even though I know it's in stronger quality elsewhere.)

Glowingwabbit

#973 Post by Glowingwabbit » Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:44 pm

John Ford's Wagon Master is getting a blu upgrade per their Facebook page. It's nice to see Warner Archives finally releasing/announcing actual classics again this summer.

Edit:

WAGONMASTER (1950)
Run Time 86:00
Subtitles English SDH
Aspect Ratio 1.37; 4 X 3 FULL FRAME
Disc Configuration BD 50
Special Feature: Commentary by Harry Carey, Jr. and Peter Bogdanovich with archival contributions by John Ford

The rivers are wide and rapid. The desert is vast and unforgiving. And when the trail turns craggy, men use pickaxes to dig grooves for the wagon wheels. Mother Nature can be overcome, but human nature remains deadly and unpredictable: Outlaws are using the Mormon wagon train as a hideout from a pursuing posse.

John Ford’s Wagon Master is one of the legendary filmmaker’s personal favorites, a visually stirring celebration of Western will and cooperation set to the soundtrack crooning of the Sons of the Pioneers. Ben Johnson, Harry Carey Jr., Ward Bond (who would later lead TV’s Wagon Train) and other familiar Ford stock company players take the reins in this glorious paean to the pioneer spirit. “Wagons west!”
Last edited by Glowingwabbit on Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Glowingwabbit

#974 Post by Glowingwabbit » Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:04 pm

Another exciting upgrade (Warner Archive has been on a roll):

MOONFLEET (1955)
Run Time 87:00
Subtitles English SDH
Aspect Ratio 2.55:1, 16 X 9 LETTERBOX
Product Color COLOR
Disc Configuration BD 50
Includes Original Theatrical Trailer (HD)

Adventure and intrigue await all ye who venture into the small and sinister village of Moonfleet on the windswept moors of Dorsetshire. Particularly as directed by master-of-menace Fritz Lang, this colorful tale of a young boy’s experiences among some really bad companions enthralls in the tradition of Kidnapped and Treasure Island.

Here, young John Mohune (Jon Whiteley) arrives at his ancestral estate, now owned by the dashing, and mysterious Jeremy Fox (Stewart Granger). Out of love for the boy’s mother, but against his better judgment, Fox grudgingly allows John to stay. He soon becomes attached to the boy, but his devotion is tested when John discovers a hidden smugglers’ lair beneath the village graveyard and learns a shocking secret that could cost both him and Fox their lives.

senseabove

#975 Post by senseabove » Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:09 pm

Oh, fantastic! After two recent series on Lang near me, I'm trying to work my way through the rest, and this is one of the ones that wasn't in the local run. I was dreaming WAC would oblige...