BD 206 A Tree Grows in Brooklyn

Discuss releases by Eureka and Masters of Cinema and the films on them.
swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

BD 206 A Tree Grows in Brooklyn

#1 Post by swo17 » Thu May 02, 2019 10:12 am

Apperson

Re: BD 206 A Tree Grows in Brooklyn

#2 Post by Apperson » Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:05 pm

Beaver

I'm slightly worried that I can now recognize b/w restorations from Fox even when they're not bad (for instance I knew that they were the studio that produced Cluny Brown by clip included under Criterion's listing and the way it looked).

HinkyDinkyTruesmith

#3 Post by HinkyDinkyTruesmith » Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:42 pm

I actually did pick up the Kazan at Fox boxsets a few years ago (primarily for this, one of my favorite films and one of my favorite books), and while I haven't performed a comparison, from memory and from what I see on Beaver, I suspect that they're based on the same materials. The old transfer had all the same flaws that Gary points out in his review.

dustybooks

#4 Post by dustybooks » Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:34 am

The transfer looks quite lovely to me in motion, though I did notice a bit of the waxiness Gary mentions, particularly when looking at the details of some of the wardrobes. I’m pleased overall with how the film looks... and disappointed with the extras, which seem to be the material from the cancelled Fox DVD (which may also be on the Kazan set?) and are overrun with Richard Schickel; and with the booklet essays which seemed to have needed a few more editorial passes. Strangely I’m enjoying the commentary, maybe because my expectations were low, and also because Fox (I guess?) fills the dead air with extracts of interviews with Kazan et al.

It’s a worthy package for the price but I just feel like there’s a little bit of a thrown-together feeling about it. (It’s a small thing, but after noticing the “Normal Lloyd” typo on the website several weeks ago, I’m surprised it made it to the actual back cover.) Being my first MOC purchase in a good while, and the first one I found at all underwhelming, I don’t know if maybe I’m just being unrealistic, and again, I’m very glad they saw fit to release this beautiful film.