Kickstarter, Indiegogo, and Crowd-Funding

Discuss North American DVDs and Blu-rays or other DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
dda1996a

Re: Kickstarter, Indiegogo and crowd-funding

#226 Post by dda1996a » Tue Apr 02, 2019 1:16 am

I watched Book of Life and have The Girl from Monday and No Such Thing lined up. Anyway I wish he wouldn't charge so much for shipping, it makes getting the Blu-ray really expensive...

neilist

#227 Post by neilist » Tue Apr 02, 2019 5:06 am

The goals for this have just been amended, with now both films included for the lowest goal and the 'stretch' goal amounts reduced, so it seems like a more attractive prospect now.

senseabove

#228 Post by senseabove » Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:02 pm

Grasshopper posted it in their thread, but figured it's worth a cross-post.

Blake Williams' 3D film Prototype has an Indigogo page up for a region-free 3D BD release
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/prot ... /x/8481290#/

colinr0380

#229 Post by colinr0380 » Sat May 04, 2019 2:25 pm

Adam Grikepelis wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:43 pm
Well that’s a far better result than the IndieCollect Kickstarter for Christine Vachon & Todd Haynes’ early shorts, who went radio silent 18 months ago (including social media) after raising over US$40,000, without, as far as I know, ever sending out any of the listed perks.
Potentially good news on this front! I received an e-mail yesterday from IndieCollect to the Kickstarter backers:
IndieCollect wrote:Dear Kickstarter Backers,
My deep apologies to those among you who have waited so long and faithfully for your Apparatus Collection Blu-ray. We are not going to let you down, I promise.

Blu-ray Update
New restoration software has enabled the IndieCollect team to go back and touch up all 10 of the films we restored. The next step is to transcode all 10 films, author the Blu-ray menus and test the Blu-ray. Then it can be sent to the replication house.

Meanwhile we have created first draft of the cover and spine design (below):

Thank you so much for your patience as we endeavour to finish the APPARATUS COLLECTION Blu-ray.

Best regards,
Sandra Schulberg and the IndieCollect Team

Adam X

#230 Post by Adam X » Sun May 05, 2019 5:58 am

Guess I'm not on their email list after I got particularly impatient with them one day and left a ah, negative comment on their Kickstarter page.

SSF

#231 Post by SSF » Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:10 am

Morning news from Jan Svankmajer. Our art books and Blu-ray sets have been shipped. :shock:

colinr0380

#232 Post by colinr0380 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:52 am

SSF wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:10 am
Morning news from Jan Svankmajer. Our art books and Blu-ray sets have been shipped. :shock:
And this turned up in my post today, together with a wonderful note from the production manager apologising again (unnecessarily) for the slight delay in producing the set!

The design of the packaging for the set itself is really nice. The box is thin cardboard with each of the seven feature films given its own Blu-ray case inside it. All are numbered as well from Alice (1) to Insect (7)! (EDIT: Ah, petoluk has put up pictures of it here!)

(This might only strengthen the case currently being made against me as a hoarder, but I think I might just keep the carboard box it was delivered in for posterity as well. After all when else am I going to have a delivery from the Czech Republic to be able to point to, let alone one with Jan Švankmajer's production company listed on the return address label?)

MichaelB

#233 Post by MichaelB » Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:41 pm

Sadly, they screwed up my package by only sending me the art book and just one BD (of Insect), thus forcing me to do a quick paranoia check to make sure that I really had explicitly pledged for multiple discs. (I had, fortunately.)

I'm sure they'll sort everything out once the current chaos is over - it's been three years since my original investment so I can easily manage a few more weeks.

SSF

#234 Post by SSF » Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:01 pm

Still waiting on mine, but I'm in Canada so it might be a while.

DarkImbecile
Ask me about my visible cat breasts

#235 Post by DarkImbecile » Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:03 am

Kickstarter for Matt Zoller Seitz’/Seitz’s/Seitzes? A Lie Agreed Upon: The Deadwood Chronicles
Pledge US$ 30 or more

A LIE AGREED UPON (signed)

A LIE AGREED UPON: THE DEADWOOD CHRONICLES is a book by Matt Zoller Seitz, author of The Wes Anderson Collection and Mad Men Carousel and co-author of TV: The Book and The Sopranos Sessions. It covers the making of all three seasons of HBO's Deadwood plus the movie, plus information on the career of David Milch's career before and after the series.

A LIE AGREED UPON is a collectors' item designed to resemble a weathered hardbound Bible from the 1900s, with faux-gold leaf edges, and some sections done in chapter-and-verse. It will include hand drawn illustrations by Max Dalton (who illustrated three MZS books) and an introduction by bestselling author Megan Abbott (Dare Me), who also wrote the intro to Mad Men Carousel.

In the spirit of this great series about community, Seitz will interview dozens of people associated with every level of the production, from series creator David Milch, the directors, and the stars, down to extras, stable hands, and production assistants.

INCLUDES:
Signed by the author
ESTIMATED DELIVERY
Nov 2020

colinr0380

#236 Post by colinr0380 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:18 pm

Sadly that Matt Zoller Seitz project only ships within the US, otherwise I'd have been on it like a shot!

Whilst on the site though I just caught this project by Ben Model to put the two complete survivng Douglas MacLean silent films held by the Library of Congress to DVD, One a Minute (1921) and Bell Boy 13 (1923), with Model providing a new score.

Three days are left and it has already made its goal.

BigMack3000

#237 Post by BigMack3000 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:31 pm

colinr0380 wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:18 pm
Sadly that Matt Zoller Seitz project only ships within the US, otherwise I'd have been on it like a shot!
He's added an update on how to do international shipping.

Calvin

#238 Post by Calvin » Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:35 pm

The Kickstarter for the 4K restoration of Out of the Blue has been launched

I'm a bit confused, seeing as it has a confirmed Venice Classics premiere. Will it be cancelled if the Kickstarter doesn't reach its goal?

A Blu-Ray will set you back $50 - interestingly, it seems like they're going to send you the local release if they manage to reach a distribution deal in your territory. $295 will get you a poster signed by Linda Manz.

The Fanciful Norwegian

#239 Post by The Fanciful Norwegian » Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:13 pm

I'm confused too. I thought Venice would be screening the 35mm restoration, but I didn't realize until now that it was done all the way back in 2008 and it seems clear they'll be premiering the 4K version. My guess is the funds from the Kickstarter will go towards creating masters for home media and subtitles in additional languages, and/or towards the restoration's U.S. theatrical release (which it sounds like Discovery will be handling themselves). But it's not clear on that at all.

Calvin

#240 Post by Calvin » Sat Aug 10, 2019 5:23 am

The campaign surpassed its goal with 2 weeks to spare yesterday, thanks to a generous $10k contribution. It seems additional funds from now on will go towards the theatrical re-release.

colinr0380

#241 Post by colinr0380 » Fri Aug 23, 2019 2:46 pm

Robert Woodhead has created a Kickstarter for a Blu-ray release of the three film Megazone 23 OVA series from 1985 through 1989 which has already made its goal within 24 hours. They have only been able to confirm the ability to send discs to the United States so far, but I have been regularly checking it every day or so in hopes that this somehow becomes available internationally. If it does, I will certainly throw in a pledge for it.

Here's the trailer for the first film in the series

L.A.

#242 Post by L.A. » Fri Aug 30, 2019 3:25 pm

Imagine

#243 Post by Imagine » Sun Oct 13, 2019 3:52 pm

Veteran journalist and documenatary maker John Pilger has a new project on the British National Health Service:

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the- ... ohn-pilger

Only three days left though!

colinr0380

#244 Post by colinr0380 » Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:43 pm

Some good news regarding that Megazone 23 Kickstarter above. Apparently while the Kickstarter has come to an end there has been a deal done to licence the rights for international territories, so people in Canada and the EU can back it now through the AnimEigo site (although for some reason Italy is excepted)

Glowingwabbit

#245 Post by Glowingwabbit » Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:18 am

Hal Hartley is starting a kickstarter for his new film, Where to Land: http://bit.ly/HalHartleyWhereToLand (now live)

There is info about the film here: https://www.halhartley.com/where-to-land
Last edited by Glowingwabbit on Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

knives

#246 Post by knives » Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:44 pm

Now it's live.

L.A.

#247 Post by L.A. » Sat Dec 07, 2019 2:24 pm

Saving Parajanov's Arabesques

Funding a 4K scan of Sergei Parajanov's short film Arabesques on a Pirosmani Theme.

Adam X

#248 Post by Adam X » Wed Dec 25, 2019 2:05 am

"The Video Letter of Elina Lowensohn", in support of Hal Hartley's Where to Land.
With 10 days to go, this is unfortunately struggling to even make it past the 50% mark. Hope he gets to make this somehow, regardless.

Adam X

#249 Post by Adam X » Tue Dec 31, 2019 1:22 pm

The Kickstarter for Hal Hartley's Where to Land only has 4 days to go. Somehow it's ever so slowly increasing, but it still needs US$90,000 to pass the finish line. If you were thinking of backing this to help him make another feature film (probably his last independently financed one), now's the time! You know you want to. Well I want you to.:wink: I'd like to see this damn film of his get made.

Happy New Year everyone \:D/

colinr0380

#250 Post by colinr0380 » Tue Dec 31, 2019 4:14 pm

Well its not much but I pledged too.

Also whilst on there the latest silent film being championed through Edward Lorusso is Robes of Sin from 1924.