Bohemian Rhapsody (Bryan Singer, 2018)

Discussions of specific films and franchises.
flyonthewall2983

Re: Bohemian Rhapsody (Bryan Singer, 2018)

#126 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:23 pm

I'm wondering what this movie's success (in tandem with that of A Star is Born) will mean for other biographies of this nature that might have been constantly in development or turnaround. Netflix just announced that the Motley Crue movie is coming out on March. Roger Daltrey (promoting his autobiography) is still on the lookout for the right script for a Keith Moon movie. The right way to tell his story, along with the right actor, could really be something partly because unlike Brian May and Roger Taylor, Daltrey has experience in the film industry and has been talking up the idea of a Moon movie as a passion of his own.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#127 Post by domino harvey » Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:25 pm

Jim Carrey twenty years ago would have been a good Moon

flyonthewall2983

#128 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:34 pm

Mike Myers was almost going to do it. I can see him doing one now, if it's just about the last couple years of his life. Moon was only in his early 30's but looked 50. Jake Gyllenhaal would be a perfect Townshend.

On that note, Jon Bernthal would make an excellent Springsteen. I'm not sure where there's a movie in his life, except maybe the making of Born To Run which had a lot of record-company/manager drama around the making of it.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#129 Post by domino harvey » Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:40 pm

Myers twenty years ago is also a good call. Someone with manic energy you tend to find in comedians like him or Carrey would be ideal

flyonthewall2983

#130 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:46 pm

This is from a few months ago
A biopic about the late musician has been in the works since 2013 but has stalled in recent years. The Who frontman Roger Daltrey has now confirmed that development of the film has begun again in a new interview.

“I’ve got to find a Keith Moon,” the star told BBC 6Music’s Matt Everitt recently. “It’s going to be very, very dependent on the actor and the actor’s eyes. Because you’ve got to cast it completely from the eyes because Moon had extraordinary eyes.”

When the radio DJ suggested it might be hard to find an actor who could play a musician like Moon, Daltrey replied: “What makes you think Keith was a fucking musician? He would have said, ‘How dare you, my boy! A musician? I’m a fucking drummer!’

“They didn’t really know Keith,” he added. “I don’t know whether anybody outside the band really got to know him like we did. He was a strange bunch of people.”

Brian C
I hate to be That Pedantic Guy but...

#131 Post by Brian C » Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:31 pm

flyonthewall2983 wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:34 pm
I'm not sure where there's a movie in his life, except maybe the making of Born To Run which had a lot of record-company/manager drama around the making of it.
I'm not sure there's one in Moon's either, and to be honest I've always found the idea of a Moon biopic to be a little crass. Talented guy whose talent was overshadowed by his prodigious alcoholism and early death. Not sure what the movie story really is beyond that - it's nothing a Behind the Music episode couldn't cover with time to spare - and at any rate it's a ghastly story to capitalize.

But then, I'm not real sure there's a movie in Freddie Mercury's life either, even after watching Bohemian Rhapsody, so maybe I just look at these things differently. Although along those lines, I guess you could make a Keith Moon movie that's just an excuse to play Who songs and it would be watchable even if it is otherwise completely pointless.

flyonthewall2983

#132 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:50 pm

A Keith Moon movie could be an excuse for some crazy stuntwork trying to pull off some of the hotel damage he did.

Tony Fletcher's book Dear Boy painted a very vivid and sad picture of him, that could definitely be fashioned into a good movie provided the right person comes along. Beneath it all, he had deep insecurities about himself that only grew as large as his outward personality did. One element that may or may not be discussed considering Daltrey is the one leading the charge on making it, is the story that the band were extremely close to firing him just before he died. There was a story that the drummer who was in the band before Keith received a copy of Who Are You signed with a joke from John Entwistle asking if he'd like to return.

Big Ben

#133 Post by Big Ben » Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:50 pm

I know for a while that an Iggy Pop biopic was in the works and Pop approved of the script. But it sort of fell by the wayside. Elijah Wood of all people was set to be the star.

flyonthewall2983

#134 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:17 pm

I know that a movie about the making of Fleetwood Mac's Rumours is likely never to happen, there were rumblings about it but Stevie Nicks put her foot down and refused ultimately. Same with a movie about Syd Barrett, which was also in negotiation at a certain point with Ridley Scott either producing or directing himself, but someone involved who knew the band got the full wrath of Roger Waters since the script had poised him as basically the villain.

Big Ben

#135 Post by Big Ben » Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:58 pm

flyonthewall2983 wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:17 pm
I know that a movie about the making of Fleetwood Mac's Rumours is likely never to happen, there were rumblings about it but Stevie Nicks put her foot down and refused ultimately. Same with a movie about Syd Barrett, which was also in negotiation at a certain point with Ridley Scott either producing or directing himself, but someone involved who knew the band got the full wrath of Roger Waters since the script had poised him as basically the villain.
I imagine some people see it that way though although I'm unsure how the other Pink Floyd members feel about Waters at the moment. He was a driving force behind their widespread success but by the time the last Pink Floyd album featuring Waters, The Final Cut came out some folks ascertained that it was a Waters solo record in all but name and that he had been demanding more and more control of the group. I love Pink Floyd and I love Waters' solo work too but I don't think it's disingenuous to assume he got a little...domineering at times.

flyonthewall2983

#136 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:24 pm

I have a feeling if someone tried to make a script from this book, it could make for a more compelling narrative. I haven't read it but I have read things about it being very nakedly about the band's relationship which had just begun to fracture.

I think between the two the Fleetwood Mac movie would probably be the bigger hit if it were ever made. I have a feeling Nicks probably knew this because what they went through was so extraordinary yet very real and human, that anything that had success which used such a trying time in her life it could bring back things she's tried to push away.

knives

#137 Post by knives » Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:47 pm

flyonthewall2983 wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:17 pm
Why would a movie about Barrett need a villain?

flyonthewall2983

#138 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:32 am

I've read more than a few accounts that Waters was the one primarily responsible among the rest of Pink Floyd for getting Syd thrown out of the band, with what seemed to be more concern for pushing his own career than getting his friend help. You put that in the wrong hands, and you can make a guy like that out to be the devil himself.

Roger Ryan

#139 Post by Roger Ryan » Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:49 pm

flyonthewall2983 wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:32 am
I've read more than a few accounts that Waters was the one primarily responsible among the rest of Pink Floyd for getting Syd thrown out of the band, with what seemed to be more concern for pushing his own career than getting his friend help...
And that's something I think Waters feels some remorse over. But that "pushing his own career" must really be seen as simply an attempt for the rest of the group to continue at all since Barrett had become so unreliable as a performing and creative source. There's a good five years after Barrett's departure where it doesn't appear that the band has a de facto leader. If Waters pushed for the removal of Barrett in order to take his place as leader, I would imagine we would have seen the more controlling aspects that evolved in the mid-70s appearing as early as 1968.

flyonthewall2983

#140 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:43 am

This just made history as the highest-grossing music biopic in the history of movies. And the song itself has just been named the song from the 20th century with the most streams ever. Considering Mercury's sense of humor, I think that last sentence would make him smile.

Duncan Jones intimated on Twitter last night that Hollywood is pounding on his door to make a movie about his dad.
Last edited by flyonthewall2983 on Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

Re: Awards Season 2018

#141 Post by mfunk9786 » Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:55 pm

soundchaser
Leave Her to Beaver

#142 Post by soundchaser » Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:57 pm

mfunk9786 wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:55 pm
Ladies and germs, presenting a scene from Best Editing nominee Bohemian Rhapsody
I was just about to post this in the dedicated thread. It is genuinely obscene. I don’t know how someone who has dedicated their life to editing can care so little about the meaning of a cut.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#143 Post by mfunk9786 » Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:58 pm

The only worse editing I've seen in a feature film is the legendary Catwoman basketball scene

Never Cursed
Such is life on board the Redoutable

#144 Post by Never Cursed » Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:04 pm

The final concert sequence is even worse. Most of the crowd is CG and the scene is obviously (hyper) edited around it, totally deflating any triumphant power it might have had.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#145 Post by domino harvey » Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:07 pm

This is like someone heard the sage advice of cutting on movements to hide the seams and decided to just cut on every movement

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#146 Post by mfunk9786 » Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:12 pm

Looks like the editor in question only edits Singer's films - hm! Seems like a cool guy and a great editor!

Big Ben

#147 Post by Big Ben » Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:20 pm

Now I legitimately want to know if all those people were on set at the same time because the way that scene is cut together they could have all been on the toilet and no one would have noticed. It's a really amazing attempt at the Michael Bay approach of just slamming scenes in there.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#148 Post by domino harvey » Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:26 pm

I hate so much that I have to see this movie, and even more that it will likely win multiple Oscars. People were so pressed about Green Book that they let this monstrosity slither in through the door

hearthesilence

#149 Post by hearthesilence » Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:33 pm

You can always NOT see it.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#150 Post by domino harvey » Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:34 pm

Considering I've seen every film ever nominated for Best Picture (save the two which are completely unavailable), no, I don't think I'll throw that away over one movie, even this one