Festival Circuit 2018

A subforum to discuss film culture and criticism.
Roger Ryan

Re: Festival Circuit 2018

#226 Post by Roger Ryan » Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:40 am

As noted in the press release, Welles' The Other Side of the Wind will premiere at the Venice Film Festival along with Morgan Neville's documentary about the making of the film.

Also, Netflix announced both films with begin streaming on its service November 2nd.

criterionsnob

#227 Post by criterionsnob » Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:20 pm

Omensetter
Yes We Cannes

#229 Post by Omensetter » Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:37 am

Which means it will only play Venice and New York---hopefully that's an indicator of its quality? I passed on Miral and The Diving Bell and the Butterfly feels very 2007---I enjoyed watching it at the time, but sometimes I forget it existed to the extent it did. I genuinely don't know what I'll receive with Schnabel.

hearthesilence

#230 Post by hearthesilence » Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:15 pm

DarkImbecile
Ask me about my visible cat breasts

#231 Post by DarkImbecile » Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:30 pm

Where schedule releases like these are extremely exciting for those attending, I'm discovering that making Telluride the one major festival I attend has the downside of making every other fall festival's schedule release an exercise in extreme masochism as possibilities for TFF (and their day-of-festival schedule release) are eliminated. In this case, confirmation that I won't be able to see the new Bi Gan, Jia Zhangke, Coen Bros., Alice Rohrwacher, Hong Sangsoo (x2), Jafar Panahi, Jean Luc Godard, Frederick Wiseman, and Christian Petzold films early is a real heartbreaker (especially those first three... damn).

ianthemovie

#232 Post by ianthemovie » Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:49 pm

domino harvey wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:23 pm
La Flor
Dir. Mariano Llinás, Argentina, 2018, 807m
I kept looking at all the other running times well over two hours and wondering why art house movies hate editors, and then this reminded me it could always be worse
That sounds like a hard sit to me but I'm thrilled about the rest of the slate. Hoping to catch the Wiseman (did anyone have any idea this film even existed until it was announced as part of the Venice lineup last week?), the Barry Jenkins, the Godard, the Assayas, the Denis... an embarrassment of riches.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#234 Post by mfunk9786 » Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:27 am

DarkImbecile wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:10 am
and forum favorite Emmanuel Mouret
ROAD TRIP

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#235 Post by domino harvey » Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:29 am

Literally did the math earlier on whether it was feasible to go

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#236 Post by mfunk9786 » Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:35 am

mfunk9786 wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:27 am
DarkImbecile wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:10 am
and forum favorite Emmanuel Mouret
ROAD TRIP
domino harvey wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:29 am
Literally did the math earlier on whether it was feasible to go
Starting to feel like a true hipster for the first time in my life for closing my eyes and picking Changement d'adresse as an afternoon screening during the 2006 Philadelphia Film Festival. If anyone wants my ticket stub, you can have it for $100, or $500 mounted and framed

DarkImbecile

#237 Post by DarkImbecile » Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:09 pm

Speaking of Kusama, the international premiere status of her latest (Destroyer, with Nicole Kidman) indicates that it will likely screen at Telluride the weekend prior; excited for this, as I was one of the supporters of The Invitation.

soundchaser
Leave Her to Beaver

#238 Post by soundchaser » Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:47 pm

Where on earth is Pedro Costa’s latest? I’d think any given festival would be jumping at the chance to premiere it.

DarkImbecile

#239 Post by DarkImbecile » Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:18 pm

Toronto's Midnight Madness and Docs announcements include premieres for David Gordon Green's Halloween, Shane Black's The Predator, Errol Morris' American Dharma, and Michael Moore's Fahrenheit 11/9

DarkImbecile

#240 Post by DarkImbecile » Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:49 pm

As a huge proponent of The Duke of Burgundy, I can't believe I overlooked at first that Peter Strickland's In Fabric has its world premiere in the Midnight Madness section at Toronto. Extremely excited for this, and hope it picks up US distribution ASAP.

roujin

#241 Post by roujin » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:53 am

soundchaser wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:47 pm
Where on earth is Pedro Costa’s latest? I’d think any given festival would be jumping at the chance to premiere it.
There's some talk that he's actually gone back to shoot more stuff ruling out any 2018 premiere. Take with a grain of salt as this is from twitter.

Omensetter
Yes We Cannes

#242 Post by Omensetter » Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:58 am

Here's a nice run-down of various favorites from critics from Locarno: https://www.locarnofestival.ch/pardo/pa ... detti.html

Just searching Twitter during the festival, I saw a lot of effusive praise for La flor and Ray & Liz, which has a fantastic trailer. If I were attending the NYFF, I would just go all-in on La flor, which seemed to receive a lot of best-of-festival notices without the viewer even finishing it.

At this point, despite seeing tons of esoterica from fairly obscure directors, it's mildly embarrassing that I haven't seen anything by Hong. I suppose his filmography is vast that one doesn't know how to penetrate it. I'll just rent The Day He Arrives from the library.

Awards
Golden Leopard: Yeo Siew Hua, A Land Imagined
Special Jury Prize: Yolande Zauberman, M
Special Mention: Richard Billingham, Ray & Liz
Best Direction: Dominga Sotomayor, Too Late to Die Young
Best Actress: Andra Guti, Alice T.
Best Actor: Ki Joobong Hotel By the River

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#243 Post by Michael Kerpan » Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:50 pm

It may take a while to get on Hong's "wave length".... Woman on the Beach is relatively non-complex -- and takes a turn towards feminism midway (and has a more positive feeling conclusion than the norm). It _might_ be a good entry point -- if you can find it....

knives

#244 Post by knives » Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:57 pm

The Power of Kangwon Province is also a good starting point and streaming on Amazon. In general I find him as someone who works best in chronological order as much as availability permits.

colinr0380

#245 Post by colinr0380 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:08 pm

With the recent release of the Arrow set that is getting a bit easier, though On the Occasion of Remembering the Turning Gate and Virgin Stripped Bare By Her Bachelors still seem difficult to track down.
Last edited by colinr0380 on Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DarkImbecile

#247 Post by DarkImbecile » Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:52 pm

Barring a last minute addition or two to the Toronto lineup, it looks like all the major fall festivals have announced their slates — barring of course Telluride, which won't announce until August 30th, the day before the Festival kicks off. Speculating about the lineup is part of the fun of attending, so I'll continue do so here for my own entertainment. It looks like there are sixteen films that are more or less confirmed; some tantalizing possibilities not yet precluded by World/North American premieres elsewhere and feasibly playing both Venice and Telluride; and some long shots that I'll continue to hold out hope for until the last moment:

Near Confirmations (In order of personal interest):
1.) Roma (Cuaron)
2.) Cold War (Pawlikowski)
3.) Shoplifters (Kore-eda)
4.) First Man (Chazelle)
5.) The Favourite (Lanthimos)
6.) The Old Man and the Gun (Lowery)
7.) Peterloo (Leigh)
8.) Destroyer (Kusama)
9.) Birds of Passage (Gallego, Guerra)
10.) Non-Fiction (Assayas)
11.) Boy Erased (Edgerton)
12.) White Boy Rick (Demange)
13.) Meeting Gorbachev (Herzog, Singer)
14.) Dogman (Garrone)
15.) The Front Runner (Reitman)
16.) Can You Ever Forgive Me? (Heller)

Possibilities From Venice:
The Other Side of the Wind (Welles)
Tree of Life [extended cut] (Malick) - Due to being scheduled later in the Venice lineup and the delay of the Criterion release, if Telluride plays this it would be the World Premiere of this new version.
Suspiria (Guadagnino) - This one in particular is a stretch here, but I'll keep deluding myself as long as possible
Vox Lux (Corbet)
The Nightingale (Kent)
Dragged Across Concrete (Zahler)

Pure Wishful Thinking:
Radegund (Malick) - If he appears with Tree of Life, maybe he'll bring his new one?
Ad Astra (Gray) - I still think this will end up opening in 2018, and if the distributor has any hope of awards buzz they'll want it to play a festival before a December/January platform release.
Maniac (Fukunaga) - This seemed like more of a clever guess prior to today's Telluride announcement, which eliminates Jonah Hill's mid90s as a Telluride possibility, but Netflix and Emma Stone will still be there with Roma and The Favourite, respectively, so there's still a chance...
The House That Jack Built (Von Trier) - Hasn't been announced at any other fall festival after the notorious Cannes screening, and Lars isn't a big traveler, but I've still got enough of a mix of dread and anticipation for this one to hope it shows up.
Backseat (McKay) - Doubtful it'd be ready by Labor Day, but Bale and Adams have been honorees at Telluride in the last two years
Mary, Queen of Scots (Rourke) - Starting to think the distributor has no faith in this, as it's been kept out of every other festival despite seeming to have two prime acting candidates in Ronan and Robbie.
The Man Who Killed Don Quixote (Gilliam) - Who knows?

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#248 Post by mfunk9786 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:30 pm

DarkImbecile wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:52 pm
The House That Jack Built (Von Trier) - Hasn't been announced at any other fall festival after the notorious Cannes screening, and Lars isn't a big traveler, but I've still got enough of a mix of dread and anticipation for this one to hope it shows up.
How is IFC with fall festivals in general? Melancholia played the Philadelphia Film Festival, but that was Magnolia, I think? Von Trier was, of course, not in attendance.

I do wonder when this thing is gonna see the light of day.

The Fanciful Norwegian

#249 Post by The Fanciful Norwegian » Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:42 pm

I know of one fall festival in the U.S. that will be showing the von Trier, but it's possible someone else will be doing the U.S./North American premiere.

DarkImbecile

#250 Post by DarkImbecile » Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:55 pm

mfunk9786 wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:30 pm
DarkImbecile wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:52 pm
How is IFC with fall festivals in general? Melancholia played the Philadelphia Film Festival, but that was Magnolia, I think? Von Trier was, of course, not in attendance.
IFC used to have a much bigger presence at Telluride in particular, but they still usually bring 1-3 titles even now that the bigger studios have more of a presence as the festival has grown in awards prominence.