Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker (J.J. Abrams, 2019)

Discussions of specific films and franchises.
Big Ben

Re: Star Wars Franchise (1977-∞)

#51 Post by Big Ben » Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:30 am

An absolutely safe choice and one I'm glad they made. I just can't imagine them trying to make it anymore difficult for themselves.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#52 Post by mfunk9786 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:43 am

Looking forward to the studio firing Abrams and replacing him with Morten Tyldum

bearcuborg

#53 Post by bearcuborg » Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:52 am

Obviously this isn't the last trilogy, but given what little I know about JJ, hopefully this leaves room for an open ending-Jedi always felt rushed.

Brian C
I hate to be That Pedantic Guy but...

#54 Post by Brian C » Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:57 am

mfunk9786 wrote:Looking forward to the studio firing Abrams and replacing him with Morten Tyldum
If that doesn't work out, Oscar-nominated prestige director Scott Hicks is probably available!

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#55 Post by domino harvey » Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:49 pm

DarkImbecile
Ask me about my visible cat breasts

#56 Post by DarkImbecile » Fri Jul 06, 2018 2:02 pm

Another woman?! If she’s not in a slave costume and/or related to one of the central characters from Episode IV, my childhood will be ruined.

Mr Sausage

#57 Post by Mr Sausage » Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:13 pm

I guess this’ll be the most excited Andre Jurieu’s ever been for a Star Wars movie.

MoonlitKnight

#59 Post by MoonlitKnight » Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:14 pm

Probably the least surprising casting news in a while.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#60 Post by domino harvey » Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:16 pm

Great contribution, I was worried you might have something positive to say for a change

McCrutchy

#61 Post by McCrutchy » Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:35 pm

To be honest, I was shocked Billy Dee Williams wasn't lined up to reprise the role in some way for Solo, but this news fits the formula of what the Disney/Lucasfilm team have been trying to do with all of these films. Williams as Lando is virtually the last vestige of original trilogy nostalgia that they can wring out, and while I don't think they ever planned to go there, I suspect that Carrie Fisher's death, along with certain issues in The Last Jedi, forced them to turn to the character/actor.

Of course, Williams, seemingly in average health at 80-82 in 2018/19, is even older than the seemingly quite fit 71-73 that Harrison Ford was in 2014/15, so I can't imagine he'll have a very complex or action-oriented role. But I expect the main reason he's been cast in the film is simply so they can say he's in it, and use him in the trailers and promotional materials.

MoonlitKnight

#62 Post by MoonlitKnight » Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:34 am

domino harvey wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:16 pm
Great contribution, I was worried you might have something positive to say for a change
The snark is strong in this one, as usual. :P
McCrutchy wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:35 pm
To be honest, I was shocked Billy Dee Williams wasn't lined up to reprise the role in some way for Solo, but this news fits the formula of what the Disney/Lucasfilm team have been trying to do with all of these films. Williams as Lando is virtually the last vestige of original trilogy nostalgia that they can wring out, and while I don't think they ever planned to go there, I suspect that Carrie Fisher's death, along with certain issues in The Last Jedi, forced them to turn to the character/actor.
Indeed, with the combination of Fisher's death (will they simply have Leia die off-screen, or will they recast her?), Hamill's passive-aggressiveness toward the direction the series is going, and how much TLJ alienated people on its own, they've undoubtedly been forced to play the one remaining ace up their sleeve. Just goes to show you should really have an actual plan for the overall narrative in place from day one - that EVERYONE agrees to follow - for a continuous, sprawling franchise like this one. Of course, they already initially had that with Lucas' actual VII-IX storyline (a faithful adaptation of which, I'm pretty sure, was all most fans wanted in the first place -- which is what makes this all so frustrating), but chose to throw most of it out and replace it with what felt more like glorified fan fictions from each subsequent director rather than trying to thematically fit in with Lucas' vision carried over from the first 6 installments.

nitin

#63 Post by nitin » Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:08 am

Right, because from what we have heard about Lucas’ plans for VII-IX, everyone was clamouring for that.

Also there is zero chance of Leia’s role being recast. If that happened, the world would end/childhoods would be ruined well before the film even gets released.

MoonlitKnight

#64 Post by MoonlitKnight » Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:38 am

As with the prequels, the employ of a proper screenwriter and/or director would've almost certainly been able to make said ideas work. I find your lack of faith disturbing. :roll:

JamesF

#65 Post by JamesF » Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:13 am

MoonlitKnight wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:34 am
Hamill's passive-aggressiveness toward the direction the series is going
This is demonstrably nonsense - Hamill has championed TLJ non-stop since its release and repeatedly disavowed his earlier ambivalence to Johnson's take on Luke. Plus there is absolutely no way he won't be back as a Force Ghost for likely a hefty chunk of the narrative.

Given Williams' present shape, Lando's role will likely be confined to showing up at Leia's funeral at the start of the film, sitting in the cockpit of the Falcon briefly and giving Rey and Finn a piece of the puzzle they need to kick the plot off. I certainly doubt they'd kill Lando off given the potential optics for a) killing off another beloved character, though I doubt that was the original intention with Leia and b) especially an elderly African-American.

bearcuborg

#66 Post by bearcuborg » Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:36 am

If you close your eyes, Joely Fisher sounds just like Carrie. I’m not sure what they could do with that-but it would be a hard sell to recast her part. Apart from Rian’s brilliant idea with Leia in space, he really didn’t do her character any favors in TLJ-but JJ & co hit TFA out of the park-so I have a lot of confidence in them to close out this trilogy.
Last edited by bearcuborg on Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Big Ben

#67 Post by Big Ben » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:38 am

MoonlitKnight wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:34 am
, Hamill's passive-aggressiveness toward the direction the series is going,
Hamill regularly hangs out with Rian Johnson and there's photo evidence on Twitter. Not only this he's defended plot points, including the stuff like sucking on that monsters tit. He may not have liked where things went initially but he's more than embraced it online. Unless there's some secret I'm missing regularly defending and talking to people you supposedly dislike is not the way to do it. If anything Mark appears to be reveling in his place in the spotlight again all while championing the young women who have been harassed online for months.

R0lf

#68 Post by R0lf » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:51 am

Obvs Leia should be recast with esteemed character actress Margo Martindale.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#69 Post by tenia » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:54 am

His claim about the milk alien wasn't really positive. He said he regretted his reaction to Han's death being cut this way :
"They had time to show me milk that big alien but to show any human emotion ? Nah, we don't have time for that. But again, not my call !"

black&huge

#70 Post by black&huge » Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:16 pm

It looked like to me as Hamill's criticisms became more vocal at the time Disney told him to shut up so he changed gears instantly. Whatever was happening he just sounded like another whiny fanboy so props to Johnson for persuading him to do something different.

Kirkinson

#71 Post by Kirkinson » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:59 pm

I think Hamill just has a very sardonic and crotchety sense of humor and that has lead to a proliferation of (primarily) YouTubers spinning hours and hours of conspiratorial content out of hyper-literal interpretations of comments where he's clearly not being totally serious.

(That said, as much as I truly adore The Last Jedi, I kind of agree about screen time for milking vs. screen time for mourning Han!)

All the Best People

#72 Post by All the Best People » Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:57 am

Rian Johnson did contemplate bringing back Lando for the character that eventually became the Benicio del Toro self-parody character, but decided he needed someone truly amoral to effectuate Finn's arc toward being committed to the cause.

Big Ben

#74 Post by Big Ben » Fri Jul 27, 2018 6:46 pm

I was wondering how they were going to deal with Fisher's death and well, there it is. I imagine we'll have an angry mob raging about something regardless.

bearcuborg

#75 Post by bearcuborg » Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:16 pm

Richard E Grant never disappoints, but I didn’t notice Andy Serkis in the list-so much for my idea that Snoke’s story was far from over.