9 / BD 12 Intimate Lighting

Discuss releases by Second Run and the films on them.
tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

Re: 9 / BD 12 Intimate Lighting

#26 Post by tenia » Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:44 am

Second Run has really increased their pace in terms of BD release. I hope it's because it has become financially sustainable for them.

What A Disgrace

#27 Post by What A Disgrace » Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:02 am

I'm hoping that the days of DVD only releases are behind us, as a result of this success, if that is the case. Not that the films themselves weren't of merit, but because they deserved a Blu-ray release as well.

Finch

#28 Post by Finch » Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:50 pm

I've never seen Intimate Lighting before and I consider myself doubly fortunate to see it in HD for the first time. Blind pre-order when HMV put their listing up.

Cremildo

#29 Post by Cremildo » Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:37 pm

Bikey

#30 Post by Bikey » Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:22 am

Bikey

#31 Post by Bikey » Mon Apr 30, 2018 5:23 am

"Through its wonderful observations of life it’s filled with warmth and humour, so it’s a genuine pleasure to watch... an unusual sort of subtle masterpiece"
The first review of our new Blu-ray edition from Blueprint Review

Bikey

#32 Post by Bikey » Tue May 01, 2018 8:04 am

Bikey

#33 Post by Bikey » Mon May 07, 2018 3:56 pm

Bikey

#34 Post by Bikey » Wed May 09, 2018 6:39 pm

'Intimate Lighting is a lovely, lovely watch' says Aidan at The Geek Show

Bikey

#35 Post by Bikey » Wed May 09, 2018 6:43 pm

A 4* review from Ben Nicholson at Cine-Vue

Bikey

#36 Post by Bikey » Fri May 11, 2018 4:31 pm

Finch

#37 Post by Finch » Fri May 11, 2018 5:18 pm

Thank you for adding this film to your catalogue - I'd never seen it previously and was quite taken by it. I look forward to revisiting it in the future; it is the kind of film that feels deceptively lightweight but the closer you look the more it reveals to you, the more you discover in it. I also enjoyed Trevor Johnston's contribution to the booklet.

Bikey

#38 Post by Bikey » Fri May 11, 2018 6:38 pm

Finch wrote:Thank you for adding this film to your catalogue - I'd never seen it previously and was quite taken by it. I look forward to revisiting it in the future; it is the kind of film that feels deceptively lightweight but the closer you look the more it reveals to you, the more you discover in it. I also enjoyed Trevor Johnston's contribution to the booklet.
Thank you, Finch. That's exactly how we feel about the film too.

charal

#39 Post by charal » Sun May 13, 2018 10:22 pm

Excellent upgrade from any version I have previously seen. Great to see 4k restorations coming out of Eastern Europe. I noticed the translation in the short used the word “fecking” which is a word I associate with FATHER TED in the same way PORRIDGE used “naff,” is this in order to keep the rating of the package at PG?

charal

#40 Post by charal » Mon May 14, 2018 3:56 am

Imdb has the release date of this film as 8 April 1965 but the booklet states it was shot during the summer of 1965. If the release date is correct then the film must have been shot in 1964. Anyone know which date is correct? The answer will determine whether A BORING AFTERNOON precedes LIGHTING or not.

MichaelB

#41 Post by MichaelB » Mon May 14, 2018 5:25 am

charal wrote:Imdb has the release date of this film as 8 April 1965 but the booklet states it was shot during the summer of 1965. If the release date is correct then the film must have been shot in 1964. Anyone know which date is correct? The answer will determine whether A BORING AFTERNOON precedes LIGHTING or not.
A Boring Afternoon 100% definitely precedes it, unless Ivan Passer has misremembered on every occasion that he's discussed both films.

And of course it makes sense, since A Boring Afternoon was literally the first time that Passer was behind a camera calling the shots, since unlike his colleagues on the Pearls of the Deep project he wasn't a graduate of the FAMU directing programme. So it was effectively a calling card that persuaded Barrandov Studios personnel that he could be trusted with a feature.

Oh, and I've just checked my two standard resources for Czechoslovak film data, Václav Březina's Lexikon českého filmů and the Czecho-Slovak Film Database. Březina gives April 1966 as its Czech release month, and the CSFD an even more reassuringly precise 8 April, and I'd be inclined to believe them over the IMDB when it comes to local info.

charal

#42 Post by charal » Mon May 14, 2018 5:34 am

Thanks Michael, I knew you would have an alternate source. Is the Black Peter commentary your first? I'm interested to hear it due to your detailed and well researched readings on Eastern European cinema we have all encountered elswhere.

MichaelB

#43 Post by MichaelB » Mon May 14, 2018 5:41 am

It's actually my fourth in toto (after Arrow's The Night of the Shooting Stars - excerpt here - and Indicator's The Deadly Affair and The Snorkel), and second solo, but it's my first for Second Run and my first on a Czech film.

In fact, I originally toyed with the idea of offering them one on Intimate Lighting, but I ultimately didn't think it was a good idea - I'd run out of background info pretty quickly, and it's the kind of film where you really don't want to have to "explain" too much. Whereas there turned out to be a ton of stuff to talk about with Black Peter.

Bikey

#44 Post by Bikey » Tue May 15, 2018 6:21 am

"Remains one of the secret best films ever made... Second Run’s typically superb Blu-Ray package"
Close-Up Film on Passer's Czech gem

Bikey

#45 Post by Bikey » Tue May 15, 2018 12:40 pm

"Had more people seen Ivan Passer's sparkling 1965 feature debut, INTIMATE LIGHTING, one of the jewels of the so-called 'Czech New Wave', it would surely feature on more lists adjudicating the funniest films of all time."
David Jenkins reviews at Little White Lies

Bikey

#46 Post by Bikey » Tue May 22, 2018 11:12 am

It's a simple and beautiful film... [the Blu-ray] looks spectacular with very sharp detail and a beautiful gray scale that pay dividends during the lengthy nocturnal chat that comprises most of the final third of the film. It really looks impressive
Mondo Digital reviews INTIMATE LIGHTING

Bikey

#47 Post by Bikey » Thu May 24, 2018 4:32 am

Intimate Lighting is simply one of the key films of the Czech New Wave.
It invites multiple viewings and lets us find something new each time... The more specific pleasures are where the film achieves greatness.
It looks terrific... makes for a superb viewing experience.
Clydefro reviews INTIMATE LIGHTING at CineOutsider

Bikey

#48 Post by Bikey » Wed May 30, 2018 6:00 am

"The details and truth of life seep through far more memorably here than any dogma ever could."
The Arts Desk on Ivan Passer's INTIMATE LIGHTING

Bikey

#49 Post by Bikey » Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:14 am

"Ivan Passer arguably never surpassed the films that he made in his native country and language. Both of them, with a total running time of less than 90 minutes, are presented here... Had he never made anything else, his mark on film history would still be indelible."
Michael Brooke reviews INTIMATE LIGHTING in the latest Sight & Sound Magazine

GoodOldNeon

#50 Post by GoodOldNeon » Wed Aug 22, 2018 6:21 pm

Having now watched the Blu-ray and skimmed through all of the reviews linked here, I'm starting to worry that there is something wrong with my TV, because this was one of the weakest presentations of a film on Blu-ray that I've seen in the last year, yet no one seems to have mentioned anything about it in their reviews. While the underlying 4K restoration is beautiful, any even remotely dark scene is littered with pixelation (or is it macroblocking; I'm not well-versed enough technically to know what the proper terminology is). I counted at least six instances of this happening, and that's without any conscious effort on my part to spot the flaws. The most obvious example is the shot right near the end, seen in this screencap from DVDBeaver, but there are many earlier examples as well. (I think the Beaver cap actually understates how obvious the pixelation is). The Cine Outsider review has a smaller cap of the same shot, but also check out the first cap of the four men playing their instruments and look at the lower-left quadrant; see also the lower-right quadrant of the second cap. (Bafflingly, Cine Outsider makes no mention of this in the text of the review, referring instead to a "superb viewing experience"). Overall I found this very disappointing, given the superb quality of the underlying restoration, not to mention the quality of the film itself.