Last Man on Earth

Discuss TV shows old and new.
Red Screamer

Last Man on Earth

#1 Post by Red Screamer » Wed Mar 04, 2015 1:18 am

After Lord and Miller's great 22 Jump Street and grrreat The Lego Movie, their follow up is uh fine? The idea for The Last Man on Earth has a lot of potential, especially with three very funny people behind it, but the first two episodes settle for pedestrian jokes without any style, subject matter, or wit that you couldn't find on your average sitcom. It could get better, of course, but it seems that though Lord and Miller have a knack for turning terrible ideas into quality material, they may not be able to make something good from a good idea.

Koukol

Re: TV of 2015

#2 Post by Koukol » Sun Mar 15, 2015 5:22 pm

it's my favorite new show.
Last edited by Koukol on Mon Mar 16, 2015 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ianungstad

#3 Post by ianungstad » Sun Mar 15, 2015 5:53 pm

I've found Last Man on Earth to be fairly awful so far. There's a few jokes that I found hilarious like the margarita pool. For a show with a premise so rich with possibility it's strangely reluctant to explore them. January Jones is a horrible actress, so I'm very reluctant towards the next couple of episodes. I don't know if I'll stick with the show. It seems to be wanting to shoehorn the usual sexual innuendo joke-a-minute sitcom style and ignore what could possibly be a fantastic sitcom (if only with a cult following). The creators also directed the first few episodes of Brooklyn Nine-Nine; another show that should have been much better than it was. (is; I stopped watching ages ago so it's past tense for me.)

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#4 Post by mfunk9786 » Sun Mar 15, 2015 7:13 pm

Yeah, I have had the opposite experience. Who knows where it's going, of course, but it's very sweet and Will Forte has needed a vehicle like this for a long time. His character is just the perfect blend of sweet and jaded in a way that only he can pull off.

But Broad City is still the best show on TV.

Koukol

#5 Post by Koukol » Sun Mar 15, 2015 8:13 pm

mfunk9786 wrote:Yeah, I have had the opposite experience. Who knows where it's going, of course, but it's very sweet and Will Forte has needed a vehicle like this for a long time. His character is just the perfect blend of sweet and jaded in a way that only he can pull off.

But Broad City is still the best show on TV.
Where can BROAD CITY be found?
I'm surprised at the negative reaction... especially towards January.
She's perfect for the part as she borders between being annoying and I'd do her if she was the last person on earth cause' she's strangely cute.
I really liked her on THE DAILY SHOW too.
Will is great as well.
Speaking of BROOKLYN NINE NINE...I think the show is getting better.
Some reviewer said the show was "fun".
That's a good description as it might be more fun than funny.
I enjoy it anyways.
I have to confess I'm so shallow I'll watch almost any bearable sitcom with a babe and Melissa Fumero is a babe!

pzadvance

#6 Post by pzadvance » Sun Mar 15, 2015 8:22 pm

You're confusing January Jones with Kristen Schaal.

January Jones plays Betty on Mad Men and popped up at the end of last week's Last Man on Earth. She's a notoriously wooden performer.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

Re: Last Man on Earth

#7 Post by mfunk9786 » Sun Mar 15, 2015 10:35 pm

To answer your question, Broad City is on Comedy Central.

Koukol

#8 Post by Koukol » Mon Mar 16, 2015 4:35 pm

pzadvance wrote:You're confusing January Jones with Kristen Schaal.

January Jones plays Betty on Mad Men and popped up at the end of last week's Last Man on Earth. She's a notoriously wooden performer.
Oh...she's the gorgeous one.
I PVR the show and didn't see her until last night.
I had no problem with her acting...of course I could be biased. :wink:
Anyways, different strokes I guess as I found PARKS AND RECREATION unbearable
Last edited by Koukol on Mon Mar 16, 2015 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Koukol

#9 Post by Koukol » Mon Mar 16, 2015 4:36 pm

mfunk9786 wrote:To answer your question, Broad City is on Comedy Central.
Cheers!

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#10 Post by domino harvey » Wed Apr 08, 2015 7:33 pm

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#11 Post by domino harvey » Thu May 10, 2018 6:01 pm

And now canceled

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#12 Post by mfunk9786 » Thu May 10, 2018 8:06 pm

Did this go anywhere worth catching up on? Guessing from the cancellation that it didn't, but I gave up after like... three episodes.

MongooseCmr

#13 Post by MongooseCmr » Fri May 11, 2018 8:42 am

I would watch the first few episodes of every new season hoping it did, but no. There’s a ton of plot apparently, but I felt like it missed the key part of the cringe/antihero comedy, in that your awful lead needs to be understandable to a degree. You can always find some way to defend what a Seinfeld character did, but here Phil is just a glutton for embarrassing himself and ruining things for the sake of it that isn’t funny to me.

Murdoch

#14 Post by Murdoch » Fri May 11, 2018 10:10 am

I tried out the show for the first time a few days ago and gave up after the first episode, which felt excessively long. There were bits I enjoyed, like Forte absentmindedly firing a handgun at windows to enter abandoned stores, but once Schaal came in every conversation played out like a nagging wife/lazy husband routine. It didn't help that I knew January Jones was going to be in a future episode and sitting through another of her wooden performances wasn't too appealing to me...