Solo (Ron Howard, 2018)

Discussions of specific films and franchises.
Big Ben

Re: Star Wars Franchise (1977-∞)

#126 Post by Big Ben » Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:40 am

I think it has a far greater chance of being a dud because the film is doing reshoots this month and the rumor from articles leaking out is that Disney is just preparing for a possible failure.

Ribs

#127 Post by Ribs » Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:47 am

Disney isn't worried about anything, this movie will make a billion dollars. There's no way at all the cost they're putting into it won't be returned.

aox

#128 Post by aox » Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:55 am

domino harvey wrote:I think people are getting pretty hung up on whether or not one actor looks and sounds like another, as though that were the only factor for this being good or not. I suspect this film's success or failure as a film will have little to do with how Harrison Ford-y the lead is
I mostly agree. However, I would counter that Ewan McGregor was so well cast as OWK, and was one of the best aspects of the disappointing prequels. I think in a mythology (not franchise) setting, the stakes are a little higher. I also don't think this movie will be great for a variety of reasons outside of the casting, but that's hard to expound on since I haven't see the film.

bearcuborg

#129 Post by bearcuborg » Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:02 pm

Ribs wrote:I'm under the impression that the crazy pitch that apparently sold Bradford Young on doing this movie was that they wanted to make it look like American Graffiti, which seems to have basically just disappeared entirely, which is a bit of a bummer.
The grey muck immediately reminded me of Rogue One.

Shrew
The Untamed One

#130 Post by Shrew » Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:34 pm

Ribs wrote:Disney isn't worried about anything, this movie will make a billion dollars. There's no way at all the cost they're putting into it won't be returned.
Success is a relative term for these beasts, but I'd be surprised if this actually hits a billion. Rogue One barely made it over the line, and that had less seasonal competition, fewer behind-the-scenes woes, and the hope of a more welcoming Chinese market. Though who knows, maybe China's big into Emilia Clarke? Terminator: Genisys did make about 1/3 of its total foreign revenue there.

This will probably hit ~700k, or roughly the take of a non-Avengers Marvel film. So, you know, a total failure.

Cde.

#131 Post by Cde. » Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:31 am

This one's also hitting hot on the heels of the Last Jedi backlash. I think Star Wars fatigue is right around the corner.

McCrutchy

#132 Post by McCrutchy » Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:00 am

Apparently, this started on Twitter:

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#133 Post by domino harvey » Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:44 pm

McCrutchy

#134 Post by McCrutchy » Sat Mar 24, 2018 12:27 am

I cannot believe that Solo is two months away, and it feels like Disney/Lucasfilm have done virtually nothing to promote it. From the couple of trailers I have seen, I have zero interest in seeing it, but I do wonder if the film really is that bad, and if audiences will even care.

Big Ben

#135 Post by Big Ben » Sat Mar 24, 2018 12:47 am

McCrutchy wrote:I cannot believe that Solo is two months away, and it feels like Disney/Lucasfilm have done virtually nothing to promote it. From the couple of trailers I have seen, I have zero interest in seeing it, but I do wonder if the film really is that bad, and if audiences will even care.
Who knows? Perhaps we've got this centuries 2001 on our hands.

All rumors coming out of the studios say that Disney is preparing for the absolute worst.

DarkImbecile
Ask me about my visible cat breasts

#136 Post by DarkImbecile » Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:11 am

aox

#137 Post by aox » Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:06 pm

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#138 Post by domino harvey » Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:07 pm

Man, these line readings by Ehrenreich are rough, I guess the rumors of him needing an acting coach are true-- though whoever they hired probably isn't putting this on their CV. Interesting that the Coens and Warren Beatty were able to coax good perfs out of him already though

bearcuborg

#139 Post by bearcuborg » Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:25 pm

Jesus...that music...

aox

#140 Post by aox » Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:42 pm

domino harvey wrote:Man, these line readings by Ehrenreich are rough, I guess the rumors of him needing an acting coach are true-- though whoever they hired probably isn't putting this on their CV. Interesting that the Coens and Warren Beatty were able to coax good perfs out of him already though
How much of this do you think is bad acting vs. being completely mis-casted in the role? I'm leaning the latter considering the other actors I have seen proposed for the role.

soundchaser
Leave Her to Beaver

#141 Post by soundchaser » Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:09 am

Maybe I went into this trailer with low expectations, but I’m very surprised at how decent the cinematography looks. It feels almost unshackled from the franchise in a way, maybe? I’m less sure about the script.

Lost Highway

#142 Post by Lost Highway » Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:13 am

aox wrote:
domino harvey wrote:Man, these line readings by Ehrenreich are rough, I guess the rumors of him needing an acting coach are true-- though whoever they hired probably isn't putting this on their CV. Interesting that the Coens and Warren Beatty were able to coax good perfs out of him already though
How much of this do you think is bad acting vs. being completely mis-casted in the role? I'm leaning the latter considering the other actors I have seen proposed for the role.
Anybody who isn’t Ford would be miscast. I’m not even a huge Star Wars fan but this always was a really dumb idea.

Dylan

#143 Post by Dylan » Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:22 pm

domino harvey wrote:Interesting that the Coens and Warren Beatty were able to coax good perfs out of him already though
I've been a fan of Alden Ehrenreich ever since I saw his wonderful performance in Coppola's Tetro, which is a film I'd highly recommend to anybody who hasn't seen it yet. In addition to the performances you've listed I also thought he was good in Allen's Blue Jasmine (but it's a small role). I personally find it very hard to tell from these Solo trailers what his performance will be like - the trailers themselves are tonally all over the place - but I'm hoping he's at least solid. I can picture Ehrenreich as a funny, heroic, romantic lead, but whether that potential will come through in Solo remains to be seen.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#144 Post by mfunk9786 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:34 pm

Tetro is a lovely little film. Vincent Gallo is a terrifying presence in it, and it's maybe the last worthwhile thing he's done (and one of the only, depending on who you ask).

EDIT: Oh, seems I even wrote about it here at the time!

Werewolf by Night

#145 Post by Werewolf by Night » Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:21 pm

This just seems like a mess of a trailer more than anything else indicative of a bad movie or performance.

Big Ben

#146 Post by Big Ben » Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:36 pm

Guys I think the biggest thing you all aren't mentioning is that Chewbacca clearly has a wife/lover in the film. This validates at least one part of the Star Wars Christmas special!

As for Solo itself and it being a bad idea I believe this has been Lawrence Kasdan's baby for decades. Obviously waiting to do it might have been a bad idea. Although I'm unsure if Ford would have done it thirty years ago.

Ribs

#147 Post by Ribs » Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:41 pm

Hot take alert but I find Harrison Ford was never particularly good as Han Solo it was the character that was appealing. The last time I watched Star Wars and Return of the Jedi when they played a few years back I found myself really thinking about how, though it's obviously an iconic character, he is easily the part of the cast I'd first drop and try somebody else out in. I have no idea about suggestions because I have no idea who else comes to mind of that same general type for in 1977 (the Kasdan connection has me pondering William Hurt, but he wasn't really acting in movies until the 80s started) but it just doesn't sing to me the way it apparently does for everyone else. Ehrenreich is just tremendous based on his work for the Coens and more explicitly Beatty so I feel totally confident about him and can't help but feel like the tee has been placed that regardless of how he actually does he's the one who'll get blamed if this doesn't go down particularly well, which I realize is probably a crazy conspiracy.

Lost Highway

#148 Post by Lost Highway » Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:51 pm

Ribs wrote:Hot take alert but I find Harrison Ford was never particularly good as Han Solo it was the character that was appealing. The last time I watched Star Wars and Return of the Jedi when they played a few years back I found myself really thinking about how, though it's obviously an iconic character, he is easily the part of the cast I'd first drop and try somebody else out in. I have no idea about suggestions because I have no idea who else comes to mind of that same general type for in 1977 (the Kasdan connection has me pondering William Hurt, but he wasn't really acting in movies until the 80s started) but it just doesn't sing to me the way it apparently does for everyone else.
Yup, that's weird.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#149 Post by mfunk9786 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:53 pm

Just to second Ribs and make him feel less alone, I'm also in the "I've never liked Harrison Ford very much in anything" camp, he's always been pretty much a charisma black hole for me, dating back to my first exposure to him as a child all the way up through his appearance in Blade Runner 2049

Brian C
I hate to be That Pedantic Guy but...

#150 Post by Brian C » Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:05 pm

Imma split the difference here and say that I agree Ford has obvious limitations to his appeal, but also that Solo-type roles are something he’s good at.