16 The Big Heat

Discuss releases by Indicator and the films on them.

Moderator: MichaelB

FrauBlucher

Re: Indicator

#1 Post by FrauBlucher » Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:50 am

The Big Heat...bluray.com Sell your TT, then buy this region free version.

Didn't realize this :roll: .....
Audio Commentary - featuring Lem Dobbs, Julie Kirgo and Nick Redman.
Seriously?

Costa

#2 Post by Costa » Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:24 am

FrauBlucher wrote:The Big Heat...bluray.com Sell your TT, then buy this region free version.
haven't bought any version yet, but I'd like to see direct caps-a-holic comparisons first.
Maybe one bluray has better encoding than the other.

nitin

#3 Post by nitin » Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:52 am

Costa wrote:
FrauBlucher wrote:The Big Heat...bluray.com Sell your TT, then buy this region free version.
haven't bought any version yet, but I'd like to see direct caps-a-holic comparisons first.
David M is doing the encodes for Indicator.

Costa

#4 Post by Costa » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:24 am

nitin wrote:
Costa wrote:
David M is doing the encodes for Indicator.

and this means that...?

Sorry, I'm not familiar with names in the Bluray manufacturing world.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#5 Post by domino harvey » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:36 am

David M(ackenzie) is literally one of only two names you need to know from the Blu-ray manufacturing world

Ribs

#6 Post by Ribs » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:41 am

The other is the famous film historian Nick Redman

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#7 Post by tenia » Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:32 pm

Costa wrote:and this means that...?

David Mackenzie is currently the most skilled BD encoder worldwide so you're unlikely to find any compression issue on any title he worked on.

Costa

#8 Post by Costa » Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:47 pm

tenia wrote:
Costa wrote:and this means that...?

David Mackenzie is currently the most skilled BD encoder worldwide so you're unlikely to find any compression issue on any title he worked on.
Great then!! :)

DeprongMori

#9 Post by DeprongMori » Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:19 pm

I’ve now bought two copies of the Indicator release of “The Big Heat”, and in both cases the Blu-ray disc was incredibly mechanically noisy. The DVD doesn’t exhibit the problem, and I haven’t had problems with the Blu-ray discs on other of their releases. Is anyone else running into this, or have I just been spectacularly unlucky?

I’ve got an inquiry in to the company to see whether they’ve had other complaints, and whether this may be a problem with the entire run.

PianoMan88

#10 Post by PianoMan88 » Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:46 am

DeprongMori wrote:I’ve now bought two copies of the Indicator release of “The Big Heat”, and in both cases the Blu-ray disc was incredibly mechanically noisy. The DVD doesn’t exhibit the problem, and I haven’t had problems with the Blu-ray discs on other of their releases. Is anyone else running into this, or have I just been spectacularly unlucky?

I’ve got an inquiry in to the company to see whether they’ve had other complaints, and whether this may be a problem with the entire run.
I just popped the blu-ray tonight and I am noticing the same. Personally it only bothers me on brighter close-up shots of faces/skin. I am not familiar with what causes this noise (or grain) and the details on the blu-ray show that the master was an older one by Sony.

Again, on the whole I do not find it very distracting at all. It doesn’t help that the first scene is one of the most affected by this effect.

Keep us informed on the response.

On the whole I still thought this was a beautiful transfer, with great detail and wonderful contrast.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#11 Post by tenia » Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:25 am

What DeprongMori meant is that the disc itself is making a lot of noise in the BD-player, not that the picture was visually noisy.
In the past, when I had some cases with some noisy DVDs, I was told it was because the disc wasn't perfectly flat, thus the sound when spinning at high speed.

PianoMan88

#12 Post by PianoMan88 » Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:12 pm

tenia wrote:What DeprongMori meant is that the disc itself is making a lot of noise in the BD-player, not that the picture was visually noisy.
In the past, when I had some cases with some noisy DVDs, I was told it was because the disc wasn't perfectly flat, thus the sound when spinning at high speed.

Oops.. :lol: :-"

Definitely NO mechanical noise from the disc itself. I have no idea why I interpreted "mechanical noise" in such an incorrect manner. I think it might be because I never expected someone to have noise from the disc spinning inside the player. After 5 dvd players and 3 blu-ray players, I have never experienced such a problem with any discs. Strange :-k

DeprongMori

#13 Post by DeprongMori » Sun Oct 08, 2017 3:06 pm

PianoMan88 wrote:After 5 dvd players and 3 blu-ray players, I have never experienced such a problem with any discs. Strange
Out of something like over 1200 disks, I only rarely run into the problem myself. When I have it's mostly been out of print discs that I've bought used. (Damn you, Bob le Flambeur!) This one I thought I'd ask about because it was two new, sealed copies of a new release that I bought from separate sources, both exhibiting the same problem.

So, if no one else has experienced this, it's looking like maybe I just had spectacularly bad luck with "The Big Heat".

Landjorden

#14 Post by Landjorden » Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:00 am

DeprongMori wrote:
PianoMan88 wrote:After 5 dvd players and 3 blu-ray players, I have never experienced such a problem with any discs. Strange
Out of something like over 1200 disks, I only rarely run into the problem myself. When I have it's mostly been out of print discs that I've bought used. (Damn you, Bob le Flambeur!) This one I thought I'd ask about because it was two new, sealed copies of a new release that I bought from separate sources, both exhibiting the same problem.

So, if no one else has experienced this, it's looking like maybe I just had spectacularly bad luck with "The Big Heat".

It has happened to me with new discs before but not with the big heat, the latest was my Criterion copy of Punch Drunk Love. I have no idea why it happenes sometimes though.

oldsheperd

#15 Post by oldsheperd » Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:32 pm

I'm actually currently taking a few days to watch The Big Heat. I didn't notice any issues.

Lowry_Sam

#16 Post by Lowry_Sam » Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:10 am

I picked up Indicator's The Big Heat after all the rave reviews, but have only just gotten around to watching it (after having already unloaded my Twilight Time copy). I'm regretting I did now. Has Indicator fixed the sync issue in later copies by any chance? I don't remember the Twilight Time's audio being so out of sync. It's probably less than a half second faster than the video, but I'm finding it very annoying.

Costa

#17 Post by Costa » Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:57 am

Lowry_Sam wrote:I picked up Indicator's The Big Heat after all the rave reviews, but have only just gotten around to watching it (after having already unloaded my Twilight Time copy). I'm regretting I did now. Has Indicator fixed the sync issue in later copies by any chance? I don't remember the Twilight Time's audio being so out of sync. It's probably less than a half second faster than the video, but I'm finding it very annoying.
Oh, I didn't know there's a sync issue.
Are you sure it's not the player?

therewillbeblus

#18 Post by therewillbeblus » Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:49 pm

Lowry_Sam wrote:I picked up Indicator's The Big Heat after all the rave reviews, but have only just gotten around to watching it (after having already unloaded my Twilight Time copy). I'm regretting I did now. Has Indicator fixed the sync issue in later copies by any chance? I don't remember the Twilight Time's audio being so out of sync. It's probably less than a half second faster than the video, but I'm finding it very annoying.
I watched my copy tonight to see if I had the same problems and I did notice sync issues as well, but not consistently. During certain scenes it's incredibly obvious and irritating, but in most scenes the syncing matches up, or if it's slightly off isn't noticeable (and I was actively looking/listening for it after reading your post). I'm more than satisfied with the edition, but if the issues have been addressed by the company I'd happily trade in for a fixed disc.

Gregory

Re: 16 The Big Heat

#19 Post by Gregory » Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:52 pm

So I just sold off my Twilight Time release to purchase the Indicator one before it goes OOP. but I wasn't aware of this sync problem described here and am now wondering if the Twilight Time is indeed the better release for the main feature. Can the out of sync audio really be so minor and intermittent that only a few people have apparently noticed it, and Indicator haven't publicly made any comment about it?

MichaelB

#20 Post by MichaelB » Wed Apr 22, 2020 5:26 am

Standard edition confirmed for 25th May - same Blu-ray disc as the limited edition (extras and all), but no DVD, booklet or reversible sleeve, and it comes in an Amaray instead of a Scanavo case.

Nw_jahrles

#21 Post by Nw_jahrles » Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:27 am

Has the audio sync issue been addressed for the reissue?

TMDaines

#22 Post by TMDaines » Thu Apr 23, 2020 6:20 am

I watched this last week and didn't notice any audio sync issue.

therewillbeblus

#23 Post by therewillbeblus » Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:35 am

If I recall correctly they’re primarily in the first act and I only noticed them because of Lowry_Sam’s comment, not annoying enough to take out the pitchforks though when they were bad they were bad