Technical Issues and Questions

Discuss North American DVDs and Blu-rays or other DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
The Fanciful Norwegian

Re: Technical Issues and Questions

#1651 Post by The Fanciful Norwegian » Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:21 pm

No idea about Ocean Waves, but I've read that The Golden Era is actually a 50i disc, which is extremely rare for home video in Hong Kong but not impossible (HK was historically a PAL territory and virtually every DVD/BD player sold there supports 50i out of the box). That might explain why it loads on the all-region Seiki but not the Sony.

Michael Kerpan

#1652 Post by Michael Kerpan » Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:24 pm

I wondered if it could be a PAL-related issue -- but then set that aside as being a pre-BluRay sort of problem. It definitely failed differently from Ocean Waves (which I suspect really is due to menu memory bloatage).

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#1653 Post by tenia » Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:59 pm

Quick question : what would happen if I was to buy a X Box One S to read UHD, but nothing else of my equipment (amplifier, cables and TV set) is updated (meaning Full HD only, older HDMi, etc) ? Would I be able to read a downgraded version of the UHD (like reading a BD on a PS3 plugged on an old CRT set) or would I just face a black screen ?

Godot
Cri me a Tearion

#1654 Post by Godot » Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:23 pm

tenia wrote:Quick question : what would happen if I was to buy a X Box One S to read UHD, but nothing else of my equipment (amplifier, cables and TV set) is updated (meaning Full HD only, older HDMi, etc) ? Would I be able to read a downgraded version of the UHD (like reading a BD on a PS3 plugged on an old CRT set) or would I just face a black screen ?
You should be able to read the UHD disc with the Xbox1S and see it in 1080p on your monitor. Although, amusingly, there is some debate about whether it will appear the same, better, or worse than a blu-ray disc version of the same content. There are a lot of "it depends" (on settings in your player and tv, conversion settings in your receiver if you pass through one, etc.) details buried in the various tech forums, but at least it should pass an image and sound to the TV.

John Shade

#1655 Post by John Shade » Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:41 am

Quick question: is there somewhere I can send my current blu ray player to have it modified as region free? I have a recent Sony player; it "upscales" to 4K, but sadly doesn't play 4K discs and I think I'm going to plunge on my next purchase and get a 4K player...just trying to see if I can have my current player modified in the meantime.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#1656 Post by tenia » Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:01 pm

Godot wrote:
tenia wrote:Quick question : what would happen if I was to buy a X Box One S to read UHD, but nothing else of my equipment (amplifier, cables and TV set) is updated (meaning Full HD only, older HDMi, etc) ? Would I be able to read a downgraded version of the UHD (like reading a BD on a PS3 plugged on an old CRT set) or would I just face a black screen ?
You should be able to read the UHD disc with the Xbox1S and see it in 1080p on your monitor. Although, amusingly, there is some debate about whether it will appear the same, better, or worse than a blu-ray disc version of the same content. There are a lot of "it depends" (on settings in your player and tv, conversion settings in your receiver if you pass through one, etc.) details buried in the various tech forums, but at least it should pass an image and sound to the TV.
Ok thanks. So far, I thought that the lack of HDCP 2.2 compatibility would prevent the signal to be displayed at all.

DeprongMori

#1657 Post by DeprongMori » Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:42 pm

Not sure if this is the best place for the question, but here goes...

It seems than any forum topic title that contains special characters results in a blank title line in the “Recent Forum Activity” on the site splash page. This has the additional effect of eliminating any link to the topic from the splash page. In absence of a technical fix for this, would it be a good practice for the site to not use special characters in topic titles? (For example, rendering “Éric Rohmer” as “Eric Rohmer” so it shows up as other than a blank subject line sans link. There are currently two blank subjects in “Recent Forum Activity”.) Thanks.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#1658 Post by domino harvey » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:44 pm

We are aware of the problem and are discussing it here

theflirtydozen

#1659 Post by theflirtydozen » Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:29 pm

Anyone have any suggestions for an external blu-ray drive for a Windows laptop? I can't really find a good consensus on these just looking on Amazon so far. I only need it to read, not write. Am I right in understanding it's not that difficult to modify VLC to play blu-rays and that it can play regions A/B without changing the region locking on your computer?

criterionsnob

#1660 Post by criterionsnob » Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:07 pm

I've also been trying to find a portable Blu-ray player, but for Mac. Any Mac recommendations? I'd like the ability to play and burn discs (mostly watching extras on my laptop while my partner plays video games). This one looks decent, but finding the software seems dubious:

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B071ZW2YFW/_en ... VU47&psc=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by criterionsnob on Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Michael Kerpan

#1661 Post by Michael Kerpan » Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:54 pm

theflirtydozen wrote:Anyone have any suggestions for an external blu-ray drive for a Windows laptop? I can't really find a good consensus on these just looking on Amazon so far. I only need it to read, not write. Am I right in understanding it's not that difficult to modify VLC to play blu-rays and that it can play regions A/B without changing the region locking on your computer?
Not so sure it is, in fact, easy to get VLC to play BluRays reliably. (I never managed to get this working).

soundchaser
No longer chasing skirts

#1662 Post by soundchaser » Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:57 pm

VLC never worked for me either. Leawo was the only free player I found that was reliable, but once my computer’s graphics card started freaking out about video it stuttered frequently. You may have better luck.

kuzine

#1663 Post by kuzine » Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:47 am

Playing blu's from every region with VLC works in Ubuntu for me using the solution detailed here (the one with makeMKV should the top answer ever change).
MakeMKV is free while in beta: key here

markymark

#1664 Post by markymark » Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:10 am

I have a Pioneer slimline BDR-XD05S that I use on both Mac and Windows. I will say that I can play different region blu-rays and I use VLC (mostly, I also have to involve MakeMKV) but it's a bit more work than simply popping in a disc (and the region issue has nothing to do with it...it's a PITA to play a single region).

whaleallright

#1665 Post by whaleallright » Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:08 pm

I have a question about playing video files (particularly MKVs) on a standalone Blu-Ray player. We have a Sony S5100 (purchased 2013) which was hacked by the reseller to make it region-free. For the past few years, the player has not been able to played MKV files properly—either it can't handle both the video and audio codecs or (more often) will play the video but can't read the audio codec. This is equally true of SD and HD files.

I'm wondering if there's a firmware upgrade that will both permit it to play newer codecs /and/ will retain the region-free hack. I don't know if anyone here can answer this precise question (related to this exact model), but maybe there's another site/forum somewhere that has folks who can help with questions like this?

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#1666 Post by domino harvey » Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:10 pm

Strange, my Sony S3100 plays MKVs just fine. Wonder if your unit is faulty, as I can't imagine them removing video playback compatability in a newer model

The Fanciful Norwegian

#1667 Post by The Fanciful Norwegian » Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:19 pm

MKV is just a container format—there's effectively no limit to the audio and video codecs you can put in an MKV file, and even if a codec is supported by a particular player there may still be issues with playback (for example, certain high-bitrate encodes may be beyond the player's capabilities). It's hard to diagnose a particular problem without knowing more about the files that are causing the problems.

Grand Wazoo

#1668 Post by Grand Wazoo » Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:11 am

Not sure if there was a specific thread tackling this, but I know I've seen it mentioned on the forum before so please move my post if necessary. I was finally hit with the Warner dvd curse, as my recently opened Clark Gable Signature box has not a single disc that will play properly as they either start freezing/skipping a few minutes in or cannot even load at all (giving me a message that what I put in the tray was a blank dvd-r). Does anyone know if the company has commented on this or offered replacements for affected discs? Presumably if they had it's only for in-print films, but I'm not even sure what is still technically in print anymore from the old Warner days. Now I'm nervous to check my film noir and other signature collections. And Val Lewton, and Forbidden Hollywood and and and...

jedgeco

#1669 Post by jedgeco » Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:04 pm

Anybody have any opinions on the various streaming devices? I had been using a PS3, but I've moved that to another TV for my kids, and my Oppo Blu-ray is limited to Netflix and a couple other apps I don't use.

Particularly, I'm interested in one of the devices that supports Filmstruck, which seems to be Roku, Chromecast, Fire, and Apple. I'd prefer something with an ethernet jack for better internet reliability. The Amazon Fire box seems like a good, reasonably priced alternative, but there's a lot of bitching in the Amazon reviews.

Any experiences to share?

repeat

#1670 Post by repeat » Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:38 pm

I'm playing Blu-rays on my Mac with an external Samsung BD drive, which has worked quite nicely for the most part. The other day I (finally) watched Los Angeles Plays Itself off the Cinema Guild BD, and noticed a strange phenomenon: some (not all) of the film excerpts would play very choppily, whereas others (and all of the original material shot for the film) would play smoothly. First I thought it was just some random/temporary memory issues, but as I watched I noticed the choppiness was confined quite precisely to specific film clips, disappearing instantly when the clip ended: I also noticed that all excerpts from the same film had this problem. Then I remembered I had this same issue with Daniel Bird's documentary on Second Sight's disc of Possession, where the documentary itself played just fine, but all the excerpts from Possession were choppy as hell. Does anyone have any idea what's going on here?

Pepsi

#1671 Post by Pepsi » Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:42 pm

I'm playing Blu-rays on my Mac with an external Samsung BD drive, which has worked quite nicely for the most part.
I have the same trouble, Mac and Samsung player. For most parts I can't even get the disc played. The Mac crashes often, or the disc don't open, It started some weeks ago.
Can it be something with updates ...

repeat

#1672 Post by repeat » Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:49 pm

What software are you using? Most of my discs work absolutely fine with the MacGo Blu-ray Player, but I haven't been able to get external subtitles to work since I updated the program a couple of years ago (haven't updated since for fear of something else going to shit - using version 2.16.10.2261 at the moment). I used to get choppy playback and hanging a lot before I got a RAM upgrade, but I don't think this issue with the film clips is a memory issue at all. Maybe someone who understands the technology could shed some light on this..?

Pepsi

#1673 Post by Pepsi » Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:56 pm

Usally Macgo MAC BLU-RAY PLAYER, but I have also installed Leawo Blu-Ray Player. First problem is that the disc won't upload, or the Mac (10.13.3) crashes.

David M.

#1674 Post by David M. » Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:23 am

There is no officially licensed Blu-ray playback software on the Mac. I don't know the software in question, but it probably violates some kind of spec rule that means compatibility will be spotty.
Then I remembered I had this same issue with Daniel Bird's documentary on Second Sight's disc of Possession, where the documentary itself played just fine, but all the excerpts from Possession were choppy as hell. Does anyone have any idea what's going on here?
The film clips are higher bitrate than the rest of the footage. That's probably tripping it up somehow.

repeat

#1675 Post by repeat » Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:43 am

David M. wrote:The film clips are higher bitrate than the rest of the footage. That's probably tripping it up somehow.
OK, so it actually probably is a memory issue after all! Before doubling the RAM on the computer, the only Blu-rays that would run more or less smoothly were the crappy ones (like the Spanish release of Cure). I don't know anything about the technology so I didn't even realize that the bitrate can vary within the disc, but this makes perfect sense now. Thanks!