Marvel Comics on Film

Discuss films of the 21st century including current cinema, current filmmakers, and film festivals.
Dr Amicus

Re: Comic Books on Film

#26 Post by Dr Amicus » Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:38 am

I'd agree on Thor Ragnarok - it's a lot of fun. Story wise it's a mess, and Blanchett is largely wasted (but she's clearly having fun as what is effectively a panto villain, you can almost hear the boos and hisses when she comes on screen) but there is always a laugh just coming up - often just when you think the film is about to get too serious or sentimental. Taika Waititi's own character - the motion captures Korg - is a particular highlight and, crucially, not overused.

Professor Wagstaff

#27 Post by Professor Wagstaff » Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:14 am

Luke M

Comic Books on Film

#28 Post by Luke M » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:52 pm

Black Panther also benefits from being directed by the only name I’ve heard of outside of Marvel. I know there’s been discussion about how these films are mostly studio films akin to the golden days but I’m hoping Coogler will give it some flair like he did for Creed.

Edit: Ok, Whedon but he sucks.

matrixschmatrix

#29 Post by matrixschmatrix » Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:01 am

Really? You hadn't heard of Shane Black, Taika Waititi or Kenneth Branagh?

Luke M

#30 Post by Luke M » Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:30 am

matrixschmatrix wrote:Really? You hadn't heard of Shane Black, Taika Waititi or Kenneth Branagh?
Forgot about Black. Did Branagh do one of the Thor movies? I only saw Ragnarok and still don’t know about Waititi.

knives

#31 Post by knives » Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:32 am

Or Favreau ignoring quality for a moment. They've done surprisingly few pure journeymen considering the nature of these things.

swo17

#32 Post by swo17 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:37 am

The Russo brothers have made several of them--are you not familiar with their TV work (Arrested Development, Community, Happy Endings)?

Luke M

#33 Post by Luke M » Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:47 am

swo17 wrote:The Russo brothers have made several of them--are you not familiar with their TV work (Arrested Development, Community, Happy Endings)?
I know those shows but I don’t follow tv directors. It makes sense though why Russo brothers have had perhaps better quality films having come from producer-driven tv world.

matrixschmatrix

#34 Post by matrixschmatrix » Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:34 am

I mean, ultimately I don't think your point is an unfair one- Marvel seems generally to want a relatively anonymous house style, and the movies that escape that (Black's, Ragnarok, the Guardians movies) are the exception rather than the rule, to the degree that Marvel actually cut the legs out from under Ant-Man seemingly to enforce a more anonymous style. I think the Russo brothers are a good fit here- they do good, engaging work with whatever material they're handed, very much in a classic studio director Michael Curtiz kind of mold (and I don't think you're wrong that coming off of TV direction makes that easier for them.) I think Marvel is loosening up a bit, though- the only real 'who?' director of phase 3 is Scott Derrickson, who did Doctor Strange, and that actually has what is maybe the most interesting use of extensive cg of any movie in the MCU. (You could also add Jon Watts, who directed the new Spider-Man, but I don't think Feige and co were calling the shots on that one, so it probably doesn't really factor into a discussion of their artistic choices.) Meanwhile, you've got Coogler, Waititi, and James Gunn (who isn't a huge name, but who has a very clear signature to his work) pushing in the direction of more distinctive, more auteurist entries.

I do hope they don't shoot them for 3d anymore though- I greatly enjoyed Ragnarok but the ugly over-bright lighting for 3d turned a number of beautiful tableaux into ugly setpieces, which I don't know that good directors can necessarily prevent.

colinr0380

#35 Post by colinr0380 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 4:27 am

The thing that I'm, perhaps over optimistically, hoping for is for all the weird and strange 'unofficial' comic book movie offshoots that turn up from around the world and put their own spins on similar material, but that is probably impossible in the same way as it was back in the 60s through to the 80s. I know that the Italian film industry has been in the doldrums for decades now, but I'm really missing the rough-and-ready equivalent of a Starcrash (incidentally this is how I'm imagining Christopher Plummer is going to appear in that re-jigged All The Money In The World film!) or Kinji Fukasaku's Message From Space to amusingly contrast against (or cash in on!) the thundering corporate might of a Star Wars franchise.

(Though I suppose it could be argued that we have been getting something like an 'international comic book adaptation' trend with adaptations of graphic novels like Persepolis!)
Last edited by colinr0380 on Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tenia

#36 Post by tenia » Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:55 am

It might be me being biased against all this wave of movies but I didn't feel any of the "auteur" hired by Marvel pushed any of their movies in a very distinctive personal way. Gunn made the Guardians fun and lighter and meta but the material was like this to being with. And all Black managed to do with IM3 was shoving an unneeded buddy movie that didn't save anything at all but further made the film stupider than it already was but in the end, I doubt these movies would be massively different if helmed by somebody else.

flyonthewall2983

#37 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:29 am

Having only seen the 3rd X-Men directed by Brett Ratner and having a general idea of who the main characters are from trailers and bits and pieces from the other movies, I was surprised to find Logan something enjoyable just on it's own as a hybrid of hard-R action/drama and the more fantastical elements of that world. Things that were alluded to that I have no reference to didn't weigh it down much for me* and I found the idea of the comic books themselves as a plot device very clever.

[*]
SpoilerShow
Just before he's killed off am I to believe that Richard E. Grant character is Magento's son? Or is it someone else?

Big Ben

#38 Post by Big Ben » Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:29 pm

In regards to flyonthewall's question about Logan:
SpoilerShow
No he's the man who created a sort of eugenics thing that's put into corn syrup which prevents the mutant gene from activating on the genome essentially ensuring no new mutants are born. One of the concepts in the film is that mutants are to be created by private companies and monetized as seen with the Logan clone and all the young children. He's not a mutant bad guy just a corporate one.

colinr0380

#39 Post by colinr0380 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:16 pm

SpoilerShow
Sounds very like Scanners!

solaris72

#40 Post by solaris72 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:48 pm

colinr0380 wrote:The thing that I'm, perhaps over optimistically, hoping for is for all the weird and strange 'unofficial' comic book movie offshoots that turn up from around the world and put their own spins on similar material, but that is probably impossible in the same way as it was back in the 60s through to the 80s. I know that the Italian film industry has been in the doldrums for decades now, but I'm really missing the rough-and-ready equivalent of a Starcrash (incidentally this is how I'm imagining Christopher Plummer is going to appear in that re-jigged All The Money In The World film!) or Kinji Fukasaku's Message From Space to amusingly contrast against (or cash in on!) the thundering corporate might of a Star Wars franchise.

(Though I suppose it could be argued that we have been getting something like an 'international comic book adaptation' trend with adaptations of graphic novels like Persepolis!)
Closest modern equivalent I can think of is Empires of the Deep, a Chinese $130 million 3D mermaid epic that was basically jumping on the Avatar bandwagon, but sadly it's never been released.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#41 Post by domino harvey » Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:43 pm

Oh my goodness, that incessant temp track music is hilarious

Ribs

#42 Post by Ribs » Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:14 pm

Gore Verbinski has left the Gambit movie, and Fox has delayed the X-Men horror spin-off New Mutants to February 2019 from its planned April bow. Deadpool 2 has now been pushed up to May 18th, only two weeks after Avengers and a week before Solo’s supposed release.

Werewolf by Night

#43 Post by Werewolf by Night » Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:56 pm

Ribs wrote:Fox has delayed the X-Men horror spin-off New Mutants to February 2019 from its planned April bow
Wow, there have been posters up for this for weeks. I was a huge fan of the run of issues the storyline of the film covers, but after seeing the teaser trailer...zero interest in seeing the movie.

McCrutchy

#44 Post by McCrutchy » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:16 am

Ribs wrote:Gore Verbinski has left the Gambit movie, and Fox has delayed the X-Men horror spin-off New Mutants to February 2019 from its planned April bow. Deadpool 2 has now been pushed up to May 18th, only two weeks after Avengers and a week before Solo’s supposed release.
I didn't realize that Deadpool 2 was releasing at such a crowded time. Barring a miracle, there goes its shot at outperforming the first film (which I really enjoyed). :(

Big Ben

#45 Post by Big Ben » Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:22 pm

Black Panther is killing it with critics. Reviews are really positive.
SpoilerShow
Currently waiting for an outspoken White to see it. Armond.

cdnchris
Site Admin

#46 Post by cdnchris » Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:49 pm

That makes me feel better. My son has been talking about it non stop for months and is super hyped for it so no matter what I'd be taking him to see it.

dx23

#48 Post by dx23 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:15 pm

I don't get how they are casting an actor in his 40's to play the origin of a character. This is more of WB/DC throwing shit at the wall and looking to see what sticks. So far their batting average is pretty low, and will probably get lower now that Michael Bay has taken an interest in directing Lobo.
Well, the dipshits have taken their time to sabotage Black Panther's rating on the IMDB. Seriously, how fanatic and racist you have to be to spend your time shitting on a movie. Trump's America ladies and gentlemen.

swo17

#49 Post by swo17 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:21 pm

I resent the implication that the IMDb rating system waited until the Trump administration to become terrible.

Big Ben

#50 Post by Big Ben » Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:57 pm

swo17 wrote:I resent the implication that the IMDb rating system waited until the Trump administration to become terrible.
I agree. And review bombing isn't new either. Look at any aggregate site that allows users to rate things and it becomes fandom hell. Although I will agree that it certainly feels certain films are suffering at least online because people disagree with their very premise.

The wild new conspiracy is that Rotten Tomatoes is conspiring against DC films (And apparently under appreciated master filmmaker Zack Snyder) to make Marvel look better. Despite the fact that Warner Brothers has financial stakes in Rotten Tomatoes. But you know the Illuminati is apparently suppressing Snyder's grand vision of an Objectivist utopia.