Warner Brothers Archive Collection Blu-rays

Discuss North American DVDs and Blu-rays or other DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
DFR

Re: Warner Brothers Archive Collection Blu-rays

#651 Post by DFR » Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:31 am

Very happy about The Sea Wolf. I first saw that film on TCM about 15 years ago, loved it, and petitioned to have it released on DVD, with no luck, back in the Warner Bros. classic disc heyday. I remember reading on one of the old HTF conversations, about a decade ago, that Warner Bros. was working on securing the elements for a restoration. I sort of gave up hope for the DVD. So glad to see they're finally releasing it, and on Blu-ray no less.

Robespierre

#652 Post by Robespierre » Sat Sep 23, 2017 1:01 am

Just so long as one day we get Gun Crazy and High Sierra, either through WAC or CC, I'll be happy. His Kind of Woman, Armoured Car Robbery, The Narrow Margin, and Where Danger Lives are also long shots, but I would spring at blu ray releases of those ones as well.

Costa

#653 Post by Costa » Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:27 pm

So, I have noticed that WAC still use CAPITALS in their subtitles.

I wanted to ask, is it the same in the corresponding European releases? Does anyone know?

Eg. Cat on a Hot tin Roof, Who's afraid of Virginia Woolf

pet42

#654 Post by pet42 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:31 pm

Costa wrote:...
I wanted to ask, is it the same in the corresponding European releases? Does anyone know?
Samples from the German releases (Cat on a Hot tin Roof, Who's afraid of Virginia Woolf):

Image Image Image
Image Image Image

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#655 Post by domino harvey » Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:41 pm

Dolores Clairborne coming next month. A timely release, I suspect

EDIT And Doc Hollywood and Summer of '42

vidussoni

#656 Post by vidussoni » Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:01 am

Raoul Walsh's Battle Cry as well.

Costa

#657 Post by Costa » Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:27 am

pet42 wrote:
Costa wrote:...
Samples from the German releases (Cat on a Hot tin Roof, Who's afraid of Virginia Woolf):

Image Image Image
Image Image Image

Ah, thank you very much for your trouble to grab these!

AfterTheRain

#658 Post by AfterTheRain » Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:57 pm

Auntie Mame also coming out as well.

jsteffe

#659 Post by jsteffe » Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:52 pm

DFR wrote:Very happy about The Sea Wolf. I first saw that film on TCM about 15 years ago, loved it, and petitioned to have it released on DVD, with no luck, back in the Warner Bros. classic disc heyday. I remember reading on one of the old HTF conversations, about a decade ago, that Warner Bros. was working on securing the elements for a restoration. I sort of gave up hope for the DVD. So glad to see they're finally releasing it, and on Blu-ray no less.
I got to see the Blu-ray of The Sea Wolf, and it's a stunner. Apparently it comes from a nitrate fine grain element--of the longer version of the film. The image is wonderfully atmospheric and film-like! It also serves as a reminder just what a good director Michael Curtiz could be. This film deserves to be recognized as a major work.

John Shade

#660 Post by John Shade » Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:08 am

Does Warner Archive ever do sales on their website? Is there any regularity to it like Criterion?

Thanks

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#661 Post by Drucker » Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:47 am

Yes. A few times a year there are buy 5 titles for $50.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#662 Post by domino harvey » Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:16 am

For Blu-rays? I don't remember ever seeing them lower than 4 for $44

John Shade

#663 Post by John Shade » Sun Nov 05, 2017 6:51 pm

Is it random or do they have them around the same time? I'm thinking of buying a few but wanted to put this question out there in case there is some late November/December sale.

Werewolf by Night

#664 Post by Werewolf by Night » Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:46 pm

I’m certain there will be such a sale within the next six weeks, probably in the days just after Thanksgiving.

Glowingwabbit

#665 Post by Glowingwabbit » Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:50 am

John Shade wrote:Is it random or do they have them around the same time? I'm thinking of buying a few but wanted to put this question out there in case there is some late November/December sale.
If there is a sale in November/December, don't expect any of the recent titles to be a part of it. Usually the sale leaves out titles released in the past 3-4 months (or is it 6 months? I can't remember).

Noiradelic

#666 Post by Noiradelic » Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:59 pm

Drucker wrote:Yes. A few times a year there are buy 5 titles for $50.
They haven't had that one since they folded the WAC site into the WBShop one a few years ago.

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#667 Post by Drucker » Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:08 pm

Well shucks sorry to be double-wrong.

Werewolf by Night

#668 Post by Werewolf by Night » Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:50 pm

Werewolf by Night wrote:I’m certain there will be such a sale within the next six weeks, probably in the days just after Thanksgiving.
4 for $44 (or 5 for $55 or 6 for $66 and so on) sale going on now. The Porky Pig set is not included in the sale, naturally, but is currently 24% off, cheaper than Deep Discount and free shipping on orders over $100 (before discount is applied).

DeprongMori

Re: Warner Brothers Archive Collection

#669 Post by DeprongMori » Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:16 pm

FWIW, I had mentioned on the “Warner Archive Collection” Facebook page that the use of “MOD (Manufactured on Demand)” was causing great confusion if they weren’t BD-R, they replied:
A) Not our website. WBShop is a wholly separate business B)MOD is an assembly process, not a synonym for burned C) We know its confusing and we are sorry for that. It's a never-ending battle.
and
Our blu-rays are still MOD. They are replicated (pressed not burned) and then Made On Demand (assembled if you will), so the BD-MOD designation that is part of the attendant metadata is not in error. Again, sorry for the confusion.

Caligula
Carthago delenda est

#670 Post by Caligula » Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:56 am

The Hanging Tree (1959), The Flight of Dragons, Leatherface: The Texas Chainsaw Massacre III (1990), The Drowning Pool (1975), Harper (1966), Animal Kingdom: The Complete Second Season, and Teen Titans: The Complete First Season coming early next year

hearthesilence

#671 Post by hearthesilence » Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:56 pm

I just saw Ride the High Country, which is an excellent transfer - the blue sky is really rich in grain, and while it looks fine on the BD, I'm sure it would look fantastic at full 4k resolution.

What a remarkable debut too. It's not quite the Peckipah I know from his later films as it's a bit more traditional, which is understandable for a first film, but you can see the beginning of everything that distinguishes his work. The casting of Joel McCrea and Randolph Scott is brilliant, especially when you play them off the much younger Hammond brothers - on the one hand, it recalls John Ford's My Darling Clementine where the Clantons like the Hammonds are a perversion of the traditional family, but the added dimension of two longtime Western stars at the end of their careers makes it feel like a commentary on the genre itself and the changes facing it. I'm still new to Scott - to my understanding, he was a pretty stiff actor in the beginning of his stardom, but by the last decade of his career he grew and matured into a remarkable actor. This was a great last film for him, and I certainly look forward to catching his work with Budd Boetticher.

joshua

#672 Post by joshua » Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:30 pm

hearthesilence wrote:What a remarkable debut too.
I agree with your assessment of the film and of Scott here. Of minor note though, I don't think this is Peckinpah's debut. I might be wrong but I think The Deadly Companions came before it.

hearthesilence

#673 Post by hearthesilence » Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:44 pm

joshua wrote:
hearthesilence wrote:What a remarkable debut too.
I agree with your assessment of the film and of Scott here. Of minor note though, I don't think this is Peckinpah's debut. I might be wrong but I think The Deadly Companions came before it.
Ah, you're right, my mistake!

connor

#674 Post by connor » Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:02 pm

Wonder if there's any chance we'll get William A. Wellman's The Story of GI Joe sometime soon? The only DVD is from way back in 2000. The Academy preserved it around that time and it's screening at TIFF in Toronto later this week. Great movie that seems to have been forgotten (like most of Wellman's best work).

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#675 Post by domino harvey » Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:35 pm

The Black Scorpion is also coming next month