Mission: Impossible Franchise (1996-?)

Discussions of specific films and franchises.
Ribs

Re: Mission(s): Impossible (DePalma/Woo/Abrams/Bird/McQuarri

#76 Post by Ribs » Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:11 am

Ooh, he was wonderful in Man from UNCLE, which due to poor timing was released in the midst of a year (literally just two weeks after previous one) packed to the brim with generally all very good spy fare (Kingsman, Spy, MI5, UNCLE, Bridge of Spies, Spectre (and to a lesser extent Mortdecai)). I am expecting this to be the final MI film so I don't really think he'll be "joining the team" but one of the secret delights of this franchise has been how the first film literally had to kill off a team right at the start to satiate studio's demands to accommodate the movie star, and how the collapsing role of the movie star in general has seen the franchise rebuild a team from the ground up to now be actually fairly crowded (though it's disappointing they're apparently not keeping Alec Baldwin in as their M equivalent).

matrixschmatrix

#77 Post by matrixschmatrix » Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:21 am

On what basis are you assuming this will the last be the last of the series? Cruise seems perfectly game to keep going, they're critically and commercially successful, and they seem like they can pump them out pretty readily at this point.

Ribs

#78 Post by Ribs » Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:53 am

I'm just expecting it will be - I think Cruise will want to go out still mostly on top here, and his other franchises are more clearly something he'll still be able to do as he nears his 60s in a way he won't here. I'd like to be wrong, though, as this is one of the best franchises around.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#79 Post by domino harvey » Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:48 am

Trailer for Fallout-- this looks every bit the uber-stylish followup to the last one I hoped it would be. How wonderful to actually have a tentpole action movie to look forward to!

Lost Highway

#80 Post by Lost Highway » Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:53 pm

This is the rare franchise which keeps getting better and I loved Rebecca Ferguson in the last one. She was like Ingrid Bergman with martial arts skills. I hope this will continue the winning streak.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

Re: Mission: Impossible Franchise (1996-?)

#81 Post by domino harvey » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:16 pm

Fallout screened for critics tonight and the response is overwhelmingly positive, with most calling it the best action movie in years if not ever

nitin

#82 Post by nitin » Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:42 am

That sounds like the usual hyperbole we get from almost all early showings these days (best horror movie ever, best sequel ever etc)

big ticket

#83 Post by big ticket » Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:49 pm

To an extent, perhaps, but with this series (and the collective track record of the talent), it seems reasonable to me.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#84 Post by mfunk9786 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:33 pm

I'm still holding out for the possibility that a box set will be released in the U.S. once the most recent one is released on UHD as well, but it's absolutely bizarre that as of now they have to be purchased separately. Have a price alert set on the U.K. set just in case it goes on some crazy sale in the meantime. I've actually never seen any of these films somehow!

flyonthewall2983

#85 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:25 am

The Metallica video for 2 is probably the best soundtrack/video tie-in I can think of, mainly for using the bare minimum of actual footage from the movie it's for.

colinr0380

#86 Post by colinr0380 » Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:52 am

Mission: Impossible 2 also features a great Ben Stiller skit as Tom Cruise's stunt double which, in one moment of the stand in getting repeatedly punched in the face repeats a gag from one of John Woo's earlier films, Plain Jane To The Rescue!

JamesF

#87 Post by JamesF » Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:33 am

Saw Fallout last night (opening day here in the UK) and it's tremendous fun. The "plot", such as there is one, is basically nonsense that's almost entirely recycled from the other films...
SpoilerShow
Hunt is framed and becomes a fugitive again, the IMF is shut down (albeit briefly) again, once again Hunt has to impersonate a buyer in an arms deal hoping that the dealer and buyer have never met so he won't get recognised, again you don't know whose side Ilsa is on which leads her and Ethan to clash, another motorbike chase with no helmets, the daughter of a previous film's character plays a similar role to her parent here, Michelle Monaghan is put in danger again, etc etc
... and saddled with dense infodumps at the start as they recap the last film and set up this one. But who really cares that it's just a flimsy excuse to tie together a bunch of setpieces when said setpieces are this exceptionally staged and utterly thrilling? In terms of overall quality I'd put it somewhere below the last two entries, but there's no question the action and stunts are superior. Bonus points too for arguably the franchise's best use of Ving Rhames, and special mention to Vanessa Kirby who steals her scenes outright.

Worth mentioning also that much of it, including most of the Berlin tunnel sequences, was actually filmed in east London, in areas I walk through every day to get to work. When you see someone walking down a road in the rain in "Belfast" at the start of the film, he's actually walking down the street where Thunderbird Releasing's office is! :D (Which you'll also see in Mary Poppins Returns as they spent a week filming there last year.)

flyonthewall2983

#88 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:34 am

colinr0380 wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:52 am
Mission: Impossible 2 also features a great Ben Stiller skit as Tom Cruise's stunt double which, in one moment of the stand in getting repeatedly punched in the face repeats a gag from one of John Woo's earlier films, Plain Jane To The Rescue!
Was that on the DVD?

JamesF

#89 Post by JamesF » Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:54 am

It was on the DVD but not the Blu-Ray, sadly.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#90 Post by domino harvey » Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:00 pm

That's especially strange since Paramount owns MTV so they'd still have the rights

hanshotfirst1138

#91 Post by hanshotfirst1138 » Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:51 am

matrixschmatrix wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:21 am
On what basis are you assuming this will the last be the last of the series? Cruise seems perfectly game to keep going, they're critically and commercially successful, and they seem like they can pump them out pretty readily at this point.
I wouldn't be surprised if this franchise keeps going as long as Cruise does.

willoneill

#92 Post by willoneill » Fri Jul 27, 2018 12:43 pm

I'm pretty sure this was the subject of an Onion article, but Cruise should seriously keep making these movies until it actually kills him. It would be the perfect ending to the series, and who knows, maybe it's how he wants to go out anyway.

I saw Fallout last night, and overall these movies just keep getting better. I actually found this one profound and moving at times (though maybe that was just the mood I was in). It's a bit long, especially the helicopter sequence, and the twists are obvious, but I'm pretty sure that's intentional. There's also some clever homages and callbacks to some of the earlier films, my favorite being:
SpoilerShow
It's inferred that Vanessa Kirby's character (who I loved) is the daughter of Vanessa Redgrave's character from the first film.

Cde.

#93 Post by Cde. » Fri Jul 27, 2018 1:30 pm

I wish I found it profound or moving. I thought the stuff between the action was decent filler, but the extended chase sequences in the middle and at the end are exhilarating. The sound design is particularly notable.

All the Best People

#94 Post by All the Best People » Sat Jul 28, 2018 5:22 am

This movie has been way overhyped, but it's still fun. Not sure how I feel about the Fast & Furiousization of the franchise as a whole.

QUESTION FOR WILLONEILL:
SpoilerShow
When did they imply she was related to the Redgrave character?
The ranking of these films thus far is as follows:

*small but notable gap*
3 ~= 5
*notable gap, but still good*
*notable gap, but still good*
*huge gap*

hanshotfirst1138

#95 Post by hanshotfirst1138 » Sat Jul 28, 2018 7:23 am

I wish I liked II. I really do. I love John Woo, but the whole movie is so limp and boring.

willoneill

#96 Post by willoneill » Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:01 am

All the Best People wrote:
Sat Jul 28, 2018 5:22 am
QUESTION FOR WILLONEILL:
SpoilerShow
SpoilerShow
Vanessa Kirby's character, who acts as a broker between various criminal/terrorist elements (just like Redgrave in MI 1), says she wants to carry on her mother's legacy, and says her mother's name was Max (Redgrave's character's name in MI 1).

thirtyframesasecond

#97 Post by thirtyframesasecond » Sat Jul 28, 2018 11:53 am

willoneill wrote:
Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:01 am
Sat Jul 28, 2018 5:22 am
QUESTION FOR WILLONEILL:
SpoilerShow
SpoilerShow
Vanessa Kirby's character, who acts as a broker between various criminal/terrorist elements (just like Redgrave in MI 1), says she wants to carry on her mother's legacy, and says her mother's name was Max (Redgrave's character's name in MI 1).
Yep I picked up on that too. Kirby sounds like her; that rich, throaty voice.

All the Best People

#98 Post by All the Best People » Sat Jul 28, 2018 1:26 pm

Thanks. I totally missed that line. There was a lot of chatter in my theater, so maybe that's why.

thirtyframesasecond

#99 Post by thirtyframesasecond » Sat Jul 28, 2018 2:37 pm

Sat Jul 28, 2018 1:26 pm
Thanks. I totally missed that line. There was a lot of chatter in my theater, so maybe that's why.
SpoilerShow
She says it in the Paris charity ball scene. I think she named her mother by name as Max, and well, it seemed pretty ominous to have that speech included

Big Ben

#100 Post by Big Ben » Sun Jul 29, 2018 7:15 pm

Fallout is great for what it is. A balls out action movie. It's not going to change the world by any means but it's a lot of fun and a man sitting next to me let out an audible wheeze after a prolonged action sequence. It's a very good way to spend two and half hours.

I do wonder at what point Cruise is going to call it quits though. It's very apparent in some scenes it really is Cruise and the lack of CGI is really astounding. Haven't had this much fun since Fury Road with action sequences!