TV of 2016-2017

Discuss TV shows old and new.
hearthesilence

Re: TV of 2016

#51 Post by hearthesilence » Tue May 17, 2016 1:25 pm

Shows like that is just further proof that television will never "save" filmmaking as an art form.

flyonthewall2983

#53 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Fri Jul 01, 2016 1:38 am

Nancy Grace is leaving CNN. Rejoice.

beamish13

#54 Post by beamish13 » Mon Jul 11, 2016 9:32 pm

The arrival of Crazy Ex-Girlfriend on Netflix Instant has given me hope for American network television comedy for the first time since Community and Don't Trust the Bitch in Apt. 23. Astonishingly creative, well-written and genuinely deep.

lacritfan
Life is one big kevyip

#55 Post by lacritfan » Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:49 pm

I know this is stupid but anyone else confused by this Volvo commercial? I figure old man in back is married to the woman driving but why isn't he in the passenger seat? He has his wedding ring off so are they divorced/separated/got into a fight so he got put in back so the song reconciles them? Why is the Volvo logo merged with the symbol for male at the very end? Other than Bowers & Wilkins sound system = luxury I have no idea what they're trying to convey. They came out with a second commercial where you find out the old man's daughter is getting married (seen briefly in the camera of the guy in the passenger seat of this commercial) but it doesn't answer anything.

Werewolf by Night

#56 Post by Werewolf by Night » Tue Jul 19, 2016 4:28 pm

Maybe the full 3-minute version makes more sense? Maybe they are separated but they're trying to make it work?

The Volvo logo is the "male" symbol (a.k.a. the symbol for Mars), it's always looked like that.

flyonthewall2983

#57 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Thu Jul 28, 2016 12:48 pm

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#58 Post by mfunk9786 » Thu Jul 28, 2016 12:50 pm

I'm still so puzzled as to how anyone thinks this is a good fit. That being said, despite its long legacy, Sesame Street isn't the only free educational television for young children and no one ever promised it as an inalienable right. Young children are only young children for so long, meaning a new generation won't be looking around going "where the hell did Sesame Street go?"

willoneill

#59 Post by willoneill » Thu Jul 28, 2016 1:23 pm

What the hell does this mean:
HBO will ... change the focus to topics such as “self-regulation” and “executive function.”

Werewolf by Night

#61 Post by Werewolf by Night » Thu Jul 28, 2016 7:43 pm

No "Next" and "Room Raiders," no sale.

Feiereisel

#62 Post by Feiereisel » Thu Jul 28, 2016 8:29 pm

willoneill wrote:What the hell does this mean:
HBO will ... change the focus to topics such as “self-regulation” and “executive function.”
Executive functioning is a term that encompasses various organizational skills, like time management and long- and short-term planning. Big in schools lately.

flyonthewall2983

#63 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Fri Jul 29, 2016 9:36 pm

HBO greenlights new drama from Alan Ball that sees him back in Six Feet Under territory, with a family-focused drama.
This is replacing VH1 Classic, which started as a good idea but got stale for the last several years. Even That Metal Show which had charm of it's own, had it's drawbacks. Otherwise, it seemed to be a pretty stagnant rotation of videos (and live performances taken from DVDs) and 80's movies with the very occasional bit of original programming thrown in.

It the new channel simply sticks to this formula and makes the occasional stab at original programming, hopefully it will come off better. Moreover, hopefully they have learned from their mistakes too.

flyonthewall2983

#65 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Fri Aug 12, 2016 3:25 pm

I wonder if he called him Stan.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#66 Post by domino harvey » Fri Aug 12, 2016 3:27 pm

Remember that time Thomas Gibson got catfished and sent a video of himself in a hot tub to an admiring fan? Maybe something snapped in him after than humiliation

lacritfan
Life is one big kevyip

#67 Post by lacritfan » Sun Aug 21, 2016 10:53 pm

jazzo

Please Like Me

#68 Post by jazzo » Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:57 am

Haven't seen mention of this lovely little gem from young Australian comic Josh Thomas, but I heartily recommend it as one of my personal favourite new shows of the last few years.

PLEASE LIKE ME initially feels like a coming of age comedy as the character, Josh, is outed by his girlfriend in the first few minutes of the first episode, and is then forced to readjust his life and self-identity for the rest of the series. And it completely is a coming of age comedy, but over the course of three (soon to be four) pitch-perfect seasons, the show also evolves into a much more honest exploration of family dynamics and dysfunction, and more importantly, mental illness.

It's about friendship and loyalties, letting go of imposed social constraints that may impede your personal happiness, liking yourself enough to share your life with someone else, and figuring out, not only that your parents severely flawed and have been full of shit a lot of the time, but that they've also imbued that same shit into your very being, and that you have to somehow excise it to find some semblance of contentment.

The show feels very current. It's bittersweet and often heartbreaking. There are no villains. Every character is flawed, and sees their flaws, and despite many attempts to heal themselves, often can't. When you watch it, you're not only rooting for them to find some sort of stability, you're reliving your own personal journey to maturity.

It's also laugh-out-loud hilarious, but the comedy never mocks. It approaches everything from a warm heart, gently needling the absurdity and exclusionary nature of "traditional values" and those who may have fallen victim to them. It's very much of the, you can't pick your family, so try to find a way to live with them. Or don't.

Creator Josh Thomas writes or co-writes every episode, and all but one have been directed by Matthew Saville, who is responsible for the tense little Aussie thriller, NOISE, and the ambitious miniseries adapting Tim Winton's expansive novel, CLOUD STREET.

It's produced through Pivot, but they seem to be disbanding as a Network now, so I don't know where its future lies in North America. I think it's available on Hulu in the US, but I've watched it on CBC here in Canada.

I truly love it. I hope some of you check it out.

More info here.

flyonthewall2983

#69 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Sat Aug 27, 2016 9:21 am

Blunt Talk season 2 trailer. The first season was really good, nothing ground-breaking except Patrick Stewart's comedic ability finally taking center stage after years of being funny on American Dad!.

ellipsis7

The Young Pope (Paolo Sorrentino, 2016)

#70 Post by ellipsis7 » Sun Sep 04, 2016 6:03 am

Very positive reaction @ Venice FilmFest to Sorrentino's first foray in to long form TV film miniseries, here... Will air on various SKY channels in Europe & HBO in the US this autumn/fall - trailer here....

cdnchris
Site Admin

Re: Netflix Originals

#72 Post by cdnchris » Thu Sep 08, 2016 11:36 pm

Only if it took place solely in a Tim Horton's or Swiss Chalet across the street from a honey rink overrun by beavers snacking on ketchup potato chips.

willoneill

#73 Post by willoneill » Fri Sep 09, 2016 7:48 pm

Craft services is just a make-your-own poutine bar and a cooler of Labatt.

Confession: at my wedding we had a make-your-own poutine bar.

jazzo

#74 Post by jazzo » Fri Sep 09, 2016 8:12 pm

Heard they wanted to get Pat Mastroianni, but he was too busy fucking Tessa Campanelli

flyonthewall2983

#75 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Thu Sep 22, 2016 3:43 am

Walton Goggins to be Keepin' It Real for Showtime, in his first starring role on a series.