tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

Re: Criterion and Sony

#451 Post by tenia » Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:02 pm

$35.99 RSP ? :shock:

sorrysomehow

#452 Post by sorrysomehow » Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:20 pm

ShellOilJunior wrote:Looks like Sony will be handling Before Midnight. I guess it lowers the chances Criterion will release all 3 'Before' films in a set. Sony could still license it out (a la Easy Rider) but I don't think it's likely.
Ugh, this is awful news. I've been so excited just imagining the special features Criterion could round up to put in a box set release of this trilogy. Fingers crossed that it still happens.

Anthony

#453 Post by Anthony » Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:57 pm

Yeah, probably a box set of the trilogy is still not out of the question, but I doubt we'll see anything within year or more from now. I highly doubt Sony would allow Criterion to release the trilogy within a year of their single disc release.

mikeohhh

#454 Post by mikeohhh » Thu Aug 29, 2013 5:54 pm

Criterion's just holding out till 2022's Before Noon to release the quadrilogy. Boy will they have egg on their face when 2031's Before I Dunno, Afternoon Tea or Something? has to be shoehorned in!

zedz

#455 Post by zedz » Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:39 pm

Tetralogy.

colinr0380

#456 Post by colinr0380 » Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:21 am

Any elderly couple film confronting mortality simply has to be called Before Twilight! :wink:

zedz

#457 Post by zedz » Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:42 pm

Or maybe Linklater realises that he's running out of hours of the day and has to start conserving them. Roll on the polite middle-age, country-house comedy of resignation Before Elevenses.

ryannichols7

#458 Post by ryannichols7 » Sat Aug 31, 2013 9:17 am

tenia wrote:$35.99 RSP ? :shock:
this is every Sony Pictures Classics bluray's list price, and it's kind of bullshit.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#459 Post by domino harvey » Sat Aug 31, 2013 9:49 am

They also knock it way down after a couple months, so just wait. Sony almost never does slipcovers so there's no reason to jump on one of their titles on release date unless you've gotta have it right then

MichaelB

#460 Post by MichaelB » Sat Aug 31, 2013 10:01 am

colinr0380 wrote:Any elderly couple film confronting mortality simply has to be called Before Twilight! :wink:
I doubt anyone will care that there's a Polish film by that title set in an old people's home, but there is.

(It's also rather good, if I remember rightly, although I missed most of the in-jokes - it's a home for retired actors, and virtually everyone is played by the Polish equivalents of Olivier, Gielgud, Ashcroft et al.)

colinr0380

#461 Post by colinr0380 » Sat Aug 31, 2013 3:35 pm

MichaelB wrote:
colinr0380 wrote:Any elderly couple film confronting mortality simply has to be called Before Twilight! :wink:
I doubt anyone will care that there's a Polish film by that title set in an old people's home, but there is.
Thanks Michael, and I'm sure we all care - I definitely wouldn't know much at all about Eastern European cinema beyond some of the major titles without your posts!

eerik

#462 Post by eerik » Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:37 am

Jeff wrote:Sony's asking near-Criterion prices for what is presumably a bare-bones disc, but I'm sure it will come down over time. Warner and Sony have collaborated on boxed sets before, so it's certainly not out of the question -- with or without the participation of Criterion.
Special features announced for Before Midnight:
• Commentary with Ethan Hawke, Julie Delpy and Richard Linklater
• Revisiting Jesse & Céline
• Q&A with Ethan Hawke, Julie Delpy and Richard Linklater

ShellOilJunior

#463 Post by ShellOilJunior » Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:36 am

It'll be interesting to hear Delpy talk about her trademark oral fixation.

ianungstad

#464 Post by ianungstad » Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:46 am

Last year Sony did new 4k transfers for a number of library titles. They put out new blus for most of the films themselves but let Criterion release On the Waterfront. The only other title from the press release dated last year that has failed to materialize is the 4k remaster of Groundhog Day. Would Sony license that out? I'd be curious to know why it was never released. (I assume the restoration was done since this is the films 20th anniversary.)

This initiative includes an effort to remaster select productions in 4K, including TV series such as Breaking Bad and features such as Groundhog Day, Ghostbusters and Glory. Sony is also continuing restoration work on classic movies in 4K, including soon to be completed Funny Girl and On The Waterfront.

FYI; Sony is also debuting a 4k restoration of Orson Welles The Lady from Shanghai at the London film festival next month.

Calvin

#465 Post by Calvin » Mon Sep 23, 2013 4:05 am

There are a few other unreleased 4K transfers that Sony have created.

isakborg

#466 Post by isakborg » Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:25 am

Perhaps someone out there can tell me if the recent Sony unfortunately full screen European DVD release of Vaghe Stelle Dell'Orsa represents all the use that will be made of the 4K scan of the film. (Or was that release in fact not related to the 4K scan?) A properly done Blu-ray would be most welcome. Criterion perhaps?

Roger Ryan

#467 Post by Roger Ryan » Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:48 am

Calvin wrote:There are a few other unreleased 4K transfers that Sony have created.
I suspect Sony is going out of their way to create 4K transfers of older films to have product for their 4K televisions and the exclusive Sony 4K Media Player.

Given that the Media Player only works with Sony-brand TVs and the company is focused on download sales for future content (understandable at this point since Blu-ray can not support 4K resolution), I'd be surprised if some of these recent restoration/transfers make it to physical media at all. Note this bit of copy from the Sony site:

In addition to the preloaded videos, feature films will be available to download for rent or purchase through the Video Unlimited 4K service. 24 hour rentals start at $7.99, and purchases start at $29.99. Choose from a collection of titles, including new releases, classic movies and TV episodes (purchase only). 4K Ultra HD rental offerings will be available during the same time periods as DVD and Blu-ray™ rentals from other industry providers.

ianungstad

#468 Post by ianungstad » Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:38 pm

Actually most of the 4k's have been spoken for by Sony or licensed to other studios including Criterion. The only MIA ones are:

Bunny Lake Is Missing
Cowboy
Groundhog Day
The Lady from Shanghai
Lost Horizon
Sandra
Alamo Bay

I would also point out that Sandra; Alamo Bay and Lady from Shanghai are recent restorations and are on the fall festival circuit. If we exclude those three; there's actually very little that's been sitting on the shelves. Bunny Lake; Groundhog Day; Lost Horizon all seem likely to have been licensed to either Criterion or Twilight Time.

med

#469 Post by med » Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:49 pm

Twilight Time has Alamo Bay

Roger Ryan

#470 Post by Roger Ryan » Mon Sep 23, 2013 4:56 pm

I guess I was thinking more about how Sony might handle some of their releases going forward if they are successful in setting up an exclusive HD delivery program on-line. I would hope they retain their relations with other companies willing to provide Blu-ray releases.

David M.

#471 Post by David M. » Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:21 am

Given that the Media Player only works with Sony-brand TVs and the company is focused on download sales for future content (understandable at this point since Blu-ray can not support 4K resolution), I'd be surprised if some of these recent restoration/transfers make it to physical media at all.
Blu-ray is being extended to support 4K.

Yaanu

#472 Post by Yaanu » Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:50 pm

David M. wrote:
Given that the Media Player only works with Sony-brand TVs and the company is focused on download sales for future content (understandable at this point since Blu-ray can not support 4K resolution), I'd be surprised if some of these recent restoration/transfers make it to physical media at all.
Blu-ray is being extended to support 4K.
They've had 50+ GB Blu-Ray Discs for a while now. They've just never had anything to do with them until 4K became a thing.

John Doe

Re: Forthcoming Lists Discussion and Random Speculation Vol.

#473 Post by John Doe » Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:01 am

"Sony Pictures Home Entertainment and Criterion Nov. 4 said they have signed a multi-year distribution and administrative deal. Under terms of the agreement, Sony will handle distribution, replication, inventory management, shipping and accounts receivable for Criterion.

David Bishop, president of SPHE, said Criterion’s 30-year legacy of delivering important classic and contemporary films into the home entertainment market is buttressed by the exacting standards each Blu-ray Disc and DVD release must meet.

“This is why SPHE is honored that Criterion has chosen to partner with us to ensure its future legacy by duplicating and efficiently distributing products equal to the high standards it demands,” Bishop said.

The Criterion Collection features more than 150 movies. Each film is presented uncut, in its original aspect ratio, as its filmmaker intended it to be seen. Criterion uses state-of-the-art telecine equipment and select colorists during the film-to-video digital transfer, according to CEO Jonathan Turell.

Whenever possible, Criterion works with the original directors and cinematographers to ensure that the look of the releases does justice to their intentions.

Turell said Criterion’s bonus material enables viewers to appreciate the films in context, through audio commentaries by filmmakers and scholars, restored director’s cuts, deleted scenes, documentaries, shooting scripts, early shorts and storyboards.

“We’re proud to release many great films from Sony’s library in Criterion and very much look forward to continuing our long relationship,” Turell said. “We think they are an ideal partner as we look forward to expanding our direct relationships with our key customers.”

http://www.homemediamagazine.com/sony-p ... rion-31792" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ianungstad

#474 Post by ianungstad » Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:26 am

Who wants to bet that this will result in Criterion releasing first run titles from Sony Classics in the not too distant future.

Harmonov

#475 Post by Harmonov » Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:13 am

Is Linklater's Midnight Trilogy now in play?