Hirokazu Kore-eda

Discussion and info on people in film, ranging from directors to actors to cinematographers to writers.
Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

Re: Hirokazu Kore-eda

#51 Post by Michael Kerpan » Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:40 pm

I've reached part 6 (out of 10) of Kore'eda's TV mini-series "Going My Home". A great cast, with great interplay (from youngest to oldest). Hiroshi Abe is especially fine. Feels just like a Kore'eda film -- but with more time to get to know the characters. South Asian DVDs are available (with subs) from several places (e.g. Zoom Movies and Walawala,net). Probably a must-see for Kore'eda fans -- and not likely to see a Western release.

jguitar

#52 Post by jguitar » Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:39 pm

Thanks, Michael! I didn't know about the Kore-eda mini-series, so I'm going to order that. Those stores are somewhat confounding -- any tips on uncovering other gems (Japanese TV or otherwise)? I poked around a bit but wasn't able to uncover much.

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#53 Post by Michael Kerpan » Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:07 pm

You might also want to look for Kiyoshi Kurosawa's TV series Atonement. I ordered it, but it is backordered. (I also try to get anything that stars BAE Doona). ;-}

joshua

#54 Post by joshua » Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:32 pm

Michael Kerpan wrote:You might also want to look for Kiyoshi Kurosawa's TV series Atonement. I ordered it, but it is backordered. (I also try to get anything that stars BAE Doona). ;-}
Look this one up under the name Penance.

jguitar

#55 Post by jguitar » Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:18 pm

Thanks to both of you -- I've just ordered both (not without some trepidation over the payment vendor). Anyway, excited to get these.

NABOB OF NOWHERE

#56 Post by NABOB OF NOWHERE » Wed May 01, 2013 4:24 am

There seems to be two versions of Going MY Home of chinese provenance on Amazon. There's only one review that says the english subs are gobbledeegook. Are the versions the same in thi respect? Is there another version that someone can recommend?

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#57 Post by Michael Kerpan » Wed May 01, 2013 7:51 am

NABOB OF NOWHERE wrote:There seems to be two versions of Going MY Home of chinese provenance on Amazon. There's only one review that says the english subs are gobbledeegook. Are the versions the same in thi respect? Is there another version that someone can recommend?
The one I got from Zoom Movie is fine.

NABOB OF NOWHERE

#58 Post by NABOB OF NOWHERE » Wed May 01, 2013 8:51 am

Michael Kerpan wrote:
NABOB OF NOWHERE wrote:There seems to be two versions of Going MY Home of chinese provenance on Amazon. There's only one review that says the english subs are gobbledeegook. Are the versions the same in thi respect? Is there another version that someone can recommend?
The one I got from Zoom Movie is fine.
Thanx Michael. Order done. Mildly disturbingly, it is the same edition damned on Amazon but If you recommend it that's more than good enough.

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#59 Post by Michael Kerpan » Wed May 01, 2013 10:24 am

I noticed minor infelicities -- but the version I have had adequate subtitles (based not only ion my opinion, but the opinion of a professor who specializes in Japanese films). ;~}

(can't explain the discrepancy with the Amazon review -- maybe he actually saw a different release).

jguitar

#60 Post by jguitar » Mon May 13, 2013 1:12 am

I had a question about Air Doll's runtime. Wikipedia lists it as 125m, while IMDB lists runtimes of both 125m and 116m. I have the Matchbox DVD, which Amazon.co.uk lists as 116m, though the DVD case itself lists a runtime of 112m, which is closer to the truth. I looked at the listings for the Bandai version on both YesAsia and Amazon.co.jp -- I couldn't see any time listed on YesAsia, but Amazon.co.jp lists it as 197m (perhaps including special features?). DVDBeaver lists 116m for the Bandai runtime. I found the film enchanting in many ways, though some plot strands seemed a tad underdeveloped, and I wondered if a longer cut might have done better in this regard. Anyone have the Bandai version and can say for sure what the runtime is? Anyone know anything about the 125m version and can talk about what might have been cut for the DVD versions?

longstone

#61 Post by longstone » Mon May 13, 2013 1:50 am

Hi this is my first post on the forum , I have been reading for a while . I wanted to say thanks for mentioning the TV series DVDs. I managed to get them from eBay and the subtitles were certainly good enough to enjoy the programs. I agree it is like an extended version of one of his feature films and wonderfully acted. I wouldn't have discovered the DVDs without reading this thread yet Kore-eda has to be my favourite modern Japanese director.
I also noticed his latest film "Like Father Like Son " is entered at Cannes there are details here http://www.wildbunch.biz/films/like_fat ... on;credits" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Given I hadn't spotted the (Taiwanese ?) release of the TV series do any of his documentaries exist on DVD with English subtitles ?

joshua

#62 Post by joshua » Mon May 13, 2013 9:18 am

I have the Bandai version and it says the runtime is 118 min.

jguitar

#63 Post by jguitar » Mon May 13, 2013 10:54 am

Thanks, joshua. Anyone see the 125m version (if it exists), presumably in a theatre, and how it might differ from the DVD versions?

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#64 Post by Michael Kerpan » Mon May 13, 2013 11:18 pm

longstone wrote:Given I hadn't spotted the (Taiwanese ?) release of the TV series do any of his documentaries exist on DVD with English subtitles ?
There was supposed to be a box set of his older documentaries a few years ago, but the project seemingly was scuttled. His more recent documentary on the remarkable Okinawan singer Cocco is on DVD, but not subbed (I love it anyway).

colinr0380

#65 Post by colinr0380 » Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:08 pm

Reading the Cannes write up in this month's Sight & Sound I was struck from the description of Kore-eda's latest film Like Father, Like Son that the set up sounds very similar to the one in the French film Life Is A Long Quiet River, albeit with 6 year old rather than 12 year old children. My interpretation of that film is much the same as Jonathan Rosenbaum's capsule review linked to, where the swapped children dilemma sadly dropped most of the interesting issues for broad high class vs low class satire of opposing families.

However I have high hopes that Kore-eda with his track record of focusing on individual character's reactions as well as of achieving great child performances (which is the aspect that the French film totally lost, with the children barely being characterised, and could almost just have been two inanimate objects that the families were fighting over rather than human beings), would be able to make something out of a similar premise. Especially as I remember that I Wish at first sounded as if it could have resulted in something terribly sentimental and insubstantial on first hearing about its premise and proved to be one of the best films of its year.

antnield

#66 Post by antnield » Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:07 am

Arrow have picked up Like Father, Like Son in the UK. It'll get a nationwide cinema release on October 18th.

shadedpain4

#67 Post by shadedpain4 » Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:10 pm

I was curious if anyone has this release and knows if it's Maborosi, Distance, or both?

The AmazonUK listing is a little confusing. Thanks in advance if you have any knowledge regarding this release.

jguitar

#68 Post by jguitar » Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:07 pm

Well, that's just the cover for Maboroshi. I have that DVD, and it's quite nice. I can't imagine why they're listing it as both films.

shadedpain4

#69 Post by shadedpain4 » Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:37 pm

jguitar wrote:Well, that's just the cover for Maboroshi. I have that DVD, and it's quite nice. I can't imagine why they're listing it as both films.
Thank you. Maboroshi and Distance are the only holes in my non-documentary Kore-eda collection so i'll be happy with whatever shows up.

If the product arrives and does somehow include both films I'll be sure to post again with the details.

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#70 Post by Michael Kerpan » Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:41 pm

Unless it is a bootleg that crams both films on one DVD, this just looks like the regular Japanese DVD (which has subtitles for the film but not the extras). See this Yesasia listing: http://www.yesasia.com/us/maboroshi-no- ... /info.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; .

manicsounds

#71 Post by manicsounds » Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:43 am

Koreeda's latest "Umimachi Diary" AKA "Our Little Sister" comes a bit disappointing. It didn't have the laughs and emotional pull of "I Wish" or "Like Father Like Son". As much as the actresses did fine portraying the relationships of the sisters, I felt the drama between the 3 older sisters and the newly connected half sister didn't have the emotional strain that should have come from a post-divorce re-married family drama. It wasn't terrible, but it is "lesser" Koreeda.

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#72 Post by Michael Kerpan » Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:57 am

Is this out on DVD yet -- or did you see it screened.

Not sure I (yet) have a category of "lesser Kore'eda". ;-} We shall see...

htom

#73 Post by htom » Fri Jul 03, 2015 2:45 pm

Michael Kerpan wrote:Is this out on DVD yet -- or did you see it screened.

Not sure I (yet) have a category of "lesser Kore'eda". ;-} We shall see...
It was released in Japan on June 13: https://www.gaga.co.jp/intls/detail/593/

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#74 Post by Michael Kerpan » Fri Jul 03, 2015 4:51 pm

htom wrote: It was released in Japan on June 13: https://www.gaga.co.jp/intls/detail/593/
With subtitles?

manicsounds

#75 Post by manicsounds » Tue Jul 07, 2015 6:30 am

The Cannes screenings had subtitles. I didn't watch it with any. It's very rare that a Japanese movie would be screened with subtitles. Unless it was some special festival, like Cannes.