Fox Catalog Titles on Blu

Discuss North American DVDs and Blu-rays or other DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

Fox Catalog Titles on Blu

#1 Post by domino harvey » Sun Mar 13, 2011 9:08 pm

Seems like we might as well have a catch-all at this point: Twelve O'Clock High will be out on May 3

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

MGM Catalog Titles on Blu

#2 Post by domino harvey » Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:15 pm

the Hustler (Rossen) May 17
the Comancheros (Curtiz) May 17
Tigerland (Schumaker) May 24

Date unconfirmed:
Raising Arizona (Coens)
Millers Crossing (Coens)

dustysomers

Re: MGM Catalog Titles on Blu

#3 Post by dustysomers » Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:24 pm

domino harvey wrote:Raising Arizona (Coens)
It's about time this got an anamorphic release.

knives

#4 Post by knives » Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:33 pm

These American releases?

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#5 Post by domino harvey » Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:36 pm

Yes

Finch

#6 Post by Finch » Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:16 pm

Yay to Miller's Crossing! I'm undecided whether to get Some Like It Hot even at the eventual discount: maybe it's a case of familiarity breeds contempt but I'd have much preferred The Appartment first for the HD upgrade. (And where is Sunset Boulevard, eh, Paramount?)

I think these all come out through Fox, no?

Titus

#7 Post by Titus » Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:29 pm

Fantastic news, although Barton Fink not being released alongside the other Coens seems a little odd.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#8 Post by swo17 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:48 pm

Every time I've watched Miller's Crossing (like five times now I think) I've come out convinced that it's the greatest film ever made. Can't wait for the Blu-ray!

Titus

#9 Post by Titus » Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:03 pm

swo17 wrote:Every time I've watched Miller's Crossing (like five times now I think) I've come out convinced that it's the greatest film ever made.
Same with me, except my tally's probably closer to 15-20. I'm a little embarrassed by that statistic.

Jeff

#10 Post by Jeff » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:58 pm

Thrilled for the Coens (both of which are Fox properties), and our inside man at MGM says that Blood Simple is still on track for release too, so I imagine they'll all come out together.

The Hustler is the most exciting film of the lot. Gorgeous Eugen Schüfftan cinematography should look great on Blu-ray.

bergelson

Re: Fox/MGM Catalog Titles on Blu

#11 Post by bergelson » Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:39 am

That's great about Blood Simple but does your inside man has any information about "Barton Fink" as well?

Roger Ryan

#12 Post by Roger Ryan » Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:01 pm

MILLER'S CROSSING has long been my favorite, but BARTON FINK is a close second...and FINK really needs a reissue; the transfer on the current DVD is atrocious.

eerik

#13 Post by eerik » Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:27 am

TomReagan
Prince of Trades

#14 Post by TomReagan » Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:53 am

Titus wrote:
swo17 wrote:Every time I've watched Miller's Crossing (like five times now I think) I've come out convinced that it's the greatest film ever made.
Same with me, except my tally's probably closer to 15-20. I'm a little embarrassed by that statistic.
I won't even mention my tally, then. And swo, I more than understand your sentiment.

I also wish Fink were being released in concert with Miller's, as was the case with the release of both on DVD. Miller's / Fink remains one of my favorite one-two combos of all time, and to have seen both in theaters (multiple times) within a year of one another was an exciting, intoxicating treat. The Coens were flat-out on fire in the early stages of their career.

MoonlitKnight

#15 Post by MoonlitKnight » Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:37 pm

So are they ever going to put out "Sons and Lovers" (Fox) or "A Thousand Clowns" (MGM)? Apart from "The Emigrants," they're still the only Best Picture Oscar nominees from the past 50 years that have not yet made the leap into the digital age. :-s

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#16 Post by domino harvey » Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:54 pm

Sons and Lovers is out in a fine Australian disc

Finch

Re: Fox Classics on Blu

#17 Post by Finch » Sat Apr 23, 2011 2:47 pm

Patton gets re-issued next month with a book as a 40th anniversary edition - hopefully they've redone the transfer and gotten rid of the DNR that ruined the first Blu-Ray.

fdm

#18 Post by fdm » Tue Apr 26, 2011 1:39 am

More likely this and the others getting booked are just the same disc in a more expensive package. Kind of like what Warner does from time to time: given the opportunity to make a better transfer or upgrade the audio to lossless, they just use the same disc they already had out before.

Apparently digitalbits had this to say on 3/16:

"We'd love to say that Patton and Master and Commander have been given new HD masters, but it's unlikely as these appear to be the same discs as before, just with new packaging."

(digitalbits info stolen from dogotte's post on the Patton 40th Anniv Digibook thread at blu-ray.com)

fdm

#19 Post by fdm » Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:41 pm

Today's digitalbits update on Patton indicates that perhaps it will be remastered after all; they're trying to get confirmation.

There's also a link to "an interesting column" that I haven't read yet where this may be talked about. It's an article regarding back catalog releases on blu-ray in general.

Brian C
I hate to be That Pedantic Guy but...

#20 Post by Brian C » Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:04 pm

Jeff Wells doesn't know shit. Please do not take his word for anything. Wait for the Digital Bits to confirm.

fdm

#21 Post by fdm » Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:09 pm

Brian C wrote:Jeff Wells doesn't know shit. Please do not take his word for anything. Wait for the Digital Bits to confirm.
I'm not standing in line or anything waiting for Patton to get remastered, if anything it would much more likely be for The Longest Day, but yeah I'll wait.

Tend to avoid DNR trainwrecks if at all possible, although admittedly I just got Out Of Africa today because its price finally went low enough for me to satisfy my curiousity about just how bad it would actually look on my TV. I'm a big sucker for Barry's soundtrack and if nothing else at least I will get a chance to hear that in lossless audio.

fdm

#22 Post by fdm » Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:42 pm

The answer is (per digitalbits again)... Fox is allegedly working on a remaster for Patton, due later this year, but it won't be finished in time for this particular release. So same disc, different cover.

Why can't they just wait a few months and do the right thing?

Brian C
I hate to be That Pedantic Guy but...

#23 Post by Brian C » Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:52 am

That's downright comical.

Finch

#24 Post by Finch » Wed May 04, 2011 12:50 pm

Fox have confirmed as per digitalbits:
We've spoken with the good folks at 20th Century Fox and have learned that they ARE in fact working on a new HD master of Patton. It appears that it will NOT be included on the 5/10 Blu-ray re-issue of the title, however the studio tells me they ARE working to make it available on Blu-ray to all of you sometime before the end of the year. We'll post all the official details as soon as the studio provides them. Just know that a new remastered Blu-ray IS coming later this year and we'll let you know more when release plans are set.

AfterTheRain

Stars and Stripes Forever

#25 Post by AfterTheRain » Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:10 pm

I don't know if anyone on this forum has heard about this, but Fox has announced that Stars and Stripes Forever will be released on Blu-ray come December 13th. The details from ClassicFlix:
Stars and Stripes Forever is the rousing and patriotic march heard every Fourth of July, and, the inspirational film about the American music legend who wrote it, John Philip Sousa.

Beginning with Sousa’s days as a sergeant major in the United States Marine Corps and leader of the Corps’ famous marching band, Stars and Stripes Forever transports you back to the 1890s and Sousa’s ascent to world renown as a composer and conductor of The Sousa Band. Three-time Academy Award Nominee Clifton Webb shines as Souza, “The March King,” along with Robert Wagner, Debra Paget and Ruth Hussey.

BONUS FEATURES:

From Our National March to the Silver Screen
John Philip Sousa's Contribution to American Music
Pressbook, Advertising and Still Galleries
Original Theatrical Trailer