Werner Herzog

Discussion and info on people in film, ranging from directors to actors to cinematographers to writers.
hot_locket

Re: Werner Herzog

#76 Post by hot_locket » Sat Dec 27, 2008 12:25 am

Person wrote:Bruno strikes me as being a sad, yet heroic figure. He knows that Old Berlin is now long dead and that he shall soon decay with it. Who then shall transmit the songs of his childhood?
Youtube

emcflat

#77 Post by emcflat » Sat Dec 27, 2008 1:19 am

dadaistnun wrote:I'm not really sure where else to post this:

Bruno S. in the NYT. Be sure to watch the video.
So, they shoot a video in German (which I assume was meant for American audiences) and then don't bother to subtitle it?

The Fanciful Norwegian

#78 Post by The Fanciful Norwegian » Sat Dec 27, 2008 2:20 am

emcflat wrote:So, they shoot a video in German (which I assume was meant for American audiences) and then don't bother to subtitle it?
I'm not sure subtitles are really necessary, since they link to a translation right below the video.

brunosh

#79 Post by brunosh » Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:26 am

Last night I saw Werner Herzog being interviewed at bfisouthbank after a screening of Encounters at the End of the World. The full text of the interview, as well as a video extract, will no doubt appear in due course on the guardianinterviewsatbfisouthbank page on the Guardian website and so there is no need to set out much of what he said, but as a taster:

- when asked about Bad Lieutenant, he said he hasn’t seen the original and so his film is not in any way a remake; Nicolas Cage insisted he direct it (WH: “I took him to places I don’t think he’s been before.” Mark Kermode (the interviewer): “He’s been to many places!” WH: “I didn’t mean geographically.” MK: “Nor did I!”). Herzog described the film as a new form of film noir and summed up its subject matter as “the bliss of evil” (try to imagine that in Herzog’s accent).

- when asked whether any young filmmakers had impressed him, Herzog said he has been so busy with his own work that he can only remember having seen two films in the last two years. One was a Hollywood blockbuster, but he can’t remember what it was, only that he didn’t think it was very good. The other was The Real Cancun. I don’t usually go for strings of punctuation, but that’s got to deserve a !!!??!? He also didn’t think it was very good although he said it had a little bit of charm. He then picked out Where is My Friend’s House and Close-Up as two outstanding films everyone should leap at the chance to see.

- when asked what, other than filmmaking, gives him joy, he said “a good steak”.

Herzog was very funny, very serious (but still very funny when he was being very serious, sometimes edging to the verge of self parody), dignified, and taken aback almost to the point of embarrassment, I think, by the warmth of the reception he got from the capacity audience.

tavernier

#80 Post by tavernier » Tue Feb 03, 2009 2:35 pm

Fierias

#81 Post by Fierias » Tue Feb 03, 2009 3:20 pm

The full text of the interview, as well as a video extract, will no doubt appear in due course on the guardianinterviewsatbfisouthbank page on the Guardian website and so there is no need to set out much of what he said
Here is that interview in its entirety.

It's a great interview. I'm glad that My son, My Son, What Have Ye Done? is moving along well.

Antoine Doinel

#82 Post by Antoine Doinel » Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:10 am

For those of you in Washington, the Environmental Film Fest will be having a Herzog retrospective.

Ishmael

#83 Post by Ishmael » Thu Mar 19, 2009 10:42 am

Antoine Doinel wrote:For those of you in Washington, the Environmental Film Fest will be having a Herzog retrospective.
Dude, that was last weekend.

knives

#84 Post by knives » Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:54 pm

Udo Kier can now be confirmed, if he hasn't already, to have some sort of role in My Son.... A friend of mine was an extra in a scene between Chloe Sevigny. He says there was also a lot of friendly yelling between the two.

sevenarts

#85 Post by sevenarts » Fri May 29, 2009 9:33 am

My latest conversation with Jason Bellamy is now online, and it is a lengthy discussion of Herzog, using an eclectic selection of his films to guide us.

Tom Hagen

#86 Post by Tom Hagen » Fri May 29, 2009 11:51 am

=D> Thanks again, Ed. Someone - anyone - needs to hire you as a film critic.

Zobalob

#87 Post by Zobalob » Sat May 30, 2009 9:20 pm

sevenarts wrote:My latest conversation with Jason Bellamy is now online, and it is a lengthy discussion of Herzog, using an eclectic selection of his films to guide us.
Thanks for that, too much to go through at the mo., but I've saved the link...looks fascinating.

lacritfan
Life is one big kevyip

#88 Post by lacritfan » Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:40 am

Matt

#89 Post by Matt » Thu Sep 16, 2010 2:37 pm

There are variant cuts of Treasure of the Sierra Madre?

matrixschmatrix

#91 Post by matrixschmatrix » Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:44 pm

This is someone doing what becomes mostly an extended Burden of Dreams parody, but it's pretty funny and he nails Herzog's voice pretty well. Their Jarmusch is awful, though.

Jean-Luc Garbo

#92 Post by Jean-Luc Garbo » Sat Sep 25, 2010 3:28 pm

I can't believe there's a whole series of these skits. "Speed Dating With Werner" looks pretty good.

John Cope

#93 Post by John Cope » Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:15 pm

A great resource for Herzog study. This should technically go in the "Filmmaker" section but I couldn't find a dedicated thread for Herzog there (?) so I'm sticking it here.

knives

#94 Post by knives » Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:33 am

A new interview. He seems surprisingly sweet hearted here especially with bits like this:
It’s a monumental discovery. I dedicated the film to the three discoverers. In a way, they are the tragic figures in all this, because they thought they had some sort of proprietary rights and right of exploitation if it came to books and other things. They are suing the French states for 15 years now. They have lost every single lawsuit and appeal, and spent all their money.

kaujot

#95 Post by kaujot » Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:06 am

Alan Smithee

#96 Post by Alan Smithee » Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:07 pm

I would sneak by every week to check out and pray that nobody had bought the book. Apparently I thought it was the only one. I still have it today, and look at it with sympathy, however, the book is really very mediocre. It’s a very stupid book. I mean, popular science and quite stupid.
It's impossible to read something Herzog says without hearing his voice. Reading Conquest of the Useless was amazing.

matrixschmatrix

#97 Post by matrixschmatrix » Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:18 pm

It’s strange, I’m now doing a film with death-row inmates, and as a general umbrella title, I thought about “Gazing Into The Abyss,” and then I thought that would have been a fine title for the cave film. It fits for almost every film I’ve made.
Haha, Werner just encapsulated himself incredibly neatly. Is there a single one of his movies that title wouldn't fit?

gyorgys

#98 Post by gyorgys » Fri Apr 29, 2011 5:50 pm

manicsounds

#99 Post by manicsounds » Mon May 02, 2011 4:56 am

Nice collection there. Also think that Justin Theroux's impersonation of Herzog on the Tropic Thunder documentary is one awesome piece of work.

Lemmy Caution

#100 Post by Lemmy Caution » Fri Sep 16, 2011 3:37 pm

Mystery Boy Emerges From German Woods
Police in Berlin are baffled over the identity of a boy who emerged from the forest, saying he'd lived there for five years with his father.

The boy, believed to be about 17, showed up at Berlin's City Hall on Sept. 5. He said he had lived in earthen huts and tents with his father until the elder man died.