Ettore Scola on DVD

Discuss internationally-released DVDs and Blu-rays or other international DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
Taketori Washizu

Ettore Scola on DVD

#1 Post by Taketori Washizu » Fri Feb 29, 2008 1:40 pm

The Pizza Triangle (Dramma della gelosia - tutti i particolari in cronaca)

Anyone seen this film with Marcello Mastroianni, Monica Vitti and Gincarlo Giannini? The cast sounds great. Would like to see a Region 1 release.

rohmerin

#2 Post by rohmerin » Sat Mar 01, 2008 4:44 am

Yes, I've seen it. There's on DVD from WB in Germany, R 2 PAL. It's not my favourite Scola. It's about two communist men that fall in love with the same woman (Vitti). It's a black comedy "commedia all'italiana" but there's no the magic of Scola's poetry such as in C'eravamo tanto amati, that it's a better film (a masterpiece) than the pizza triangle, weird US title, by the way.

Barmy

#3 Post by Barmy » Sun Mar 02, 2008 1:27 am

I saw this at a recent Scola retro. Vitti really was never good outside her first 4 Antonioni flix. It's entertaining but minor.

HelenLawson

#4 Post by HelenLawson » Fri Mar 28, 2008 4:13 pm

I have never seen it, but apparently, Pauline Kael was a big champion of it... she even voted for Vitti as Best Actress for that year's National Society of Film Critics awards.

Outside of Antonioni, I've only seen her in "Modesty Blaise", which to be fair, everyone acts that way in a Losey film.

bergelson

Ettore Scola on DVD

#5 Post by bergelson » Mon May 12, 2008 10:48 am

Certainly, one of the most underrated directors around. C'eravamo tanto amati, La Famiglia, Down and Dirty and perhaps my favorite, Capitan Fracassa are all masterpieces and sadly unreleased on English spoken countries. I can't understand why but such is the situation.

While on the subject, does anyone know how I can obtain english subtitles for films such as Passione d'amore, La Famiglia, La Terrazza and Piu bella serata della mia vita. I tried in all the common subtitles sites but couldn't find any.

atcolomb

#6 Post by atcolomb » Mon May 12, 2008 12:56 pm

I would like to see "We All Loved Each Other So Much" (1974) on to dvd. I have read some nice reviews of the film and it's homage to Felini and DeSica.

Stefan Andersson

#7 Post by Stefan Andersson » Tue May 13, 2008 2:41 am

WE ALL LOVED EACH OTHER SO MUCH is major Scola and deserves an R1 release along with LA TERRAZA, LA FAMIGLIA and THAT NIGHT IN VARENNES. VARENNES should be released in its French-dubbed version so we get the actor´s voices. The original Italian 150-min. release is out on R2 DVD, Italian-dubbed, as LA NUOVO MONDO. I´ve seen that cut on English VHS a long tme ago, from my hazy memories of that I can only say that the long cut has a prologue and epilogue with a small street puppet theatre, used to illustrate relevant episodes of the French Revolution. The main story of the film i self-contained between prologue and epilogue, so if you watch the short cut you still get the meat of it.

These four titles would be a great Eclipse box.

rohmerin

#8 Post by rohmerin » Mon Jun 23, 2008 11:35 am

Pasione d'amore is one of the best and most beautiful films I've seen. I expect that in my new European vacation I could find more Italian films at good prize as I found Pasione at Prague for only 3 euros.

I disagree about La nuit de Varennes. I own the Spanish uncut DVD, it's spoken in French, licensed from Gaumont, it shows the prologue and epilogue, and it does not run 10 minutes. It runs 123 min.

Stefan Andersson

#9 Post by Stefan Andersson » Tue Jun 24, 2008 3:17 am

Hi rohmerin! OK, I think you´re right about the prologue and epilogue. My memories of my VHS of LA NUIT DE VARENNES are very hazy. For more info on the 150-min. Italian-dubbed DVD, go here. It´s called IL MONDO NUOVO, not IL NUOVO MONDO (that´s the Malick film in Italy). I have a hard time finding the 150-min. cut on the net. For info on a new Italian release, 123 mins + "versione alternativa", French and Italian language, see here, or go here for another view of the same (?) DVD, listed at 146 mins.

rohmerin

Re: Ettore Scola on DVD

#10 Post by rohmerin » Fri Nov 28, 2008 10:05 pm

Erikht

#11 Post by Erikht » Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:06 am

If you can master any if the Scandinavian languages, six of his films can be had as a boxed set with either Swedish and Finnish or Swedish, Finnish, Danish and Norweian subtitles.

Clevinger

#12 Post by Clevinger » Wed Oct 21, 2009 2:30 am

Not entirely true. Six of his films are available as individual releases. The box set only contains C'eravamo tanto amati, along with four films by other directors.

Erikht

#13 Post by Erikht » Thu Oct 22, 2009 1:48 pm

Good thing I bought them separately, then.

Cefalù

#14 Post by Cefalù » Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:27 pm

I'd like to give this thread a bump to keep Ettore Scola on the Criterion radar. I used to manage a TLA Video in Philadelphia in the late 1990s and we had a handful of Scola's wonderful films on VHS:

We All Loved Each Other So Much (C'eravamo tanto amati) 1974
Down & Dirty (Brutti, sporchi e cattivi) 1976
A Special Day (Una giornata particolare) 1977
Le Bal 1983
La Famiglia 1987

I first saw We All Loved Each Other So Much as a student in Rome in 1993, and became an instant fan of Scola. Down & Dirty is a hilarious portrait of shantytown life in Rome of the 1970s, a gritty contrast to the rarified worlds of Fellini, Antonioni, and Rossellini. A Special Day is a stripped-down masterpiece with Mastroianni and Loren delivering bravura performances as lonely hearts in a Mussolini-era high rise.

Scola may not be recognized for fancy cinematography and "cool", but he really captured a certain ebullience and paradox so characteristic of Italian culture. I suppose his films are more in the neighborhood of early Almodovar and Wertmuller. I can't account for Scola's entire ouvre, but it's a shame that we have no decent DVD releases available in the US and must make do with faulty VHS transfers and R2 releases without English subtitles.

atcolomb

#15 Post by atcolomb » Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:40 pm

Cefalù wrote:I'd like to give this thread a bump to keep Ettore Scola on the Criterion radar. I used to manage a TLA Video in Philadelphia in the late 1990s and we had a handful of Scola's wonderful films on VHS:

We All Loved Each Other So Much (C'eravamo tanto amati) 1974
Down & Dirty (Brutti, sporchi e cattivi) 1976
A Special Day (Una giornata particolare) 1977
Le Bal 1983
La Famiglia 1987

I first saw We All Loved Each Other So Much as a student in Rome in 1993, and became an instant fan of Scola. Down & Dirty is a hilarious portrait of shantytown life in Rome of the 1970s, a gritty contrast to the rarified worlds of Fellini, Antonioni, and Rossellini. A Special Day is a stripped-down masterpiece with Mastroianni and Loren delivering bravura performances as lonely hearts in a Mussolini-era high rise.

Scola may not be recognized for fancy cinematography and "cool", but he really captured a certain ebullience and paradox so characteristic of Italian culture. I suppose his films are more in the neighborhood of early Almodovar and Wertmuller. I can't account for Scola's entire ouvre, but it's a shame that we have no decent DVD releases available in the US and must make do with faulty VHS transfers and R2 releases without English subtitles.
Would love to see We Loved Each Other So Much since i have seen alot of good reviews on the film but very hard to get a copy on dvd and do not want to get a lousy VHS copy made years ago...a good choice for a Criterion release.....

Knappen

#16 Post by Knappen » Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:41 pm

The US and the UK really are third world countries when it comes to releasing films by major Italian directors like Scola, Risi, Monicelli and Comencini. Here in Scandinavia we have most of the Scola titles listed above available in very reasonably priced editions.

marnum

#17 Post by marnum » Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:19 am

Now there's 5 new releases from Future Film: Passione d'amore (1981), Le bal (1983), Romanzo di un giovane povero (1995), La cena (1998) and Concorrenza sleale (2001). DVD only with Swedish, Finnish, Danish and Norwegian subtitles.

The previous ones were C'eravamo tanto amati (1974), Brutti, sporchi e cattivi (1976), Una giornata particolare (1977), La terrazza (1980), La nuit de Varennes (1982) and La famiglia (1987).

rohmerin

#18 Post by rohmerin » Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:31 pm

Gaumont will release his 3 less interesting films on Blu Ray this spring: Splendor, Che ora è? and il viaggio del capitano Fracassa, all starred by Napolitan "the postman" Massimo Troisi.

rohmerin

#19 Post by rohmerin » Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:48 am

C'eravamo tanto amti is going to be re-released on DVD by Sony. Not subtitled are listed yet

I saw Thrilling, and the 1st episode made by Scola is a little masterpiece with Nino Manfredi. It starts with gorgeous Alexandra Stewart going out the sea in a trendy Italian 60's black and white beach with Pop hits, in this ocassion, Petula Clark sings Downtonw in Italian (version that I prefer) ciao, ciao. What a song! What a wonderful lost world that 60's Italian shores: il sorpasso, Io la conoscevo bene, La parmigiana, L'ombrellone.

I loved the outfits, everything made before 1968 in Italy is cool, is fashionable today. Risi's il tigre with Ann Magret, so trendy, that colors, the cuts, what style.

Edit: the new C'eravamo Sony DVD only has Italian subtitles.

Perkins Cobb

#20 Post by Perkins Cobb » Sat Aug 06, 2011 7:21 pm

It looks like Scola's first film Se permettete parliamo di donne (Let's Talk About Women) is available on DVD in Italy and France (as Parlons Femmes). The French disc is quite pricy and does have English subs; the Italian DVD is pretty cheap and has only Italian subs listed. Can anyone confirm that the Italian disc definitely isn't English-friendly?

nsetayesh

#21 Post by nsetayesh » Sun Jul 31, 2016 3:26 pm

I thought I'd resurrect this thread as since the last post we've had Criterion's wonderful release of A Special Day. Still, more attention needs to be drawn to Scola's work in the english speaking world and We All Loved Each Other So Much needs to be a part of the collection. I wrote Mulvaney suggesting it and received the usual "I'll-pass-it-on-to-my-collegues" response. As far as I'm aware there isn't a decent DVD/Blu release that's easy to obtain in the US, is there?

Pepsi

#22 Post by Pepsi » Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:50 pm

I just got C'eravamo tanto amati (1974) on Blu-ray from Future Film. Only Nordic subs. The film starts with the text ...

Restauro realizzato nel 2016 da: CSC-Cineteca Nazionale con il contributo di Studiocanal. Laboratorio: L'Immagine Ritrovata etc.

The first look is OK. I'm very Happy!

rohmerin

#23 Post by rohmerin » Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:08 pm

Fuck, I changed Norwegian crowns this Monday.
Is it good? Can you pass me a link? How strange is not in Italy or France (studio canal)