Avant-Garde, Experimental & Non-narrative Films

A subforum to discuss film culture and criticism.
Zillertal

#126 Post by Zillertal » Thu Feb 01, 2007 6:36 am

RocketKitCOngoKit, is also part of the Trubulation 99 dvd as an extra. There is only O No Coronado! To be released now.

For those interested, I just purchased a copy of a limited edition on DVD of the Fluxus films, it's currently sold by re:voir. I guess you have to write them for it, it costs 100€ . I'll talk about it when it gets here.

Gregory

#127 Post by Gregory » Thu Feb 01, 2007 2:33 pm

zillertal wrote:RocketKitCOngoKit, is also part of the Trubulation 99 dvd as an extra. There is only O No Coronado! To be released now.

For those interested, I just purchased a copy of a limited edition on DVD of the Fluxus films, it's currently sold by re:voir. I guess you have to write them for it, it costs 100€ . I'll talk about it when it gets here.
Oops, you're right about RocketKitKongoKit. I haven't watched the new Tribulation 99 DVD yet, but I should do it soon. Since O No Coronado is left unreleased on DVD it doesn't seem like it will happen unless Other Cinema does some kind of eclectic compilation. He could have included it on Tribulation 99 with the others for a kind of early works collection.

I look forward to hearing more about the Fluxus release that you mentioned and how it's different from the FluxFilm Anthology, which is on their site for 30€ or $40.

Zillertal

#128 Post by Zillertal » Mon Feb 05, 2007 9:09 am

well, it's in dvd and a limited edition? :P Good item for fetishist collectors like me.

The Fluxus set is amazing, the films come in two dvd9, with notes about them, and the discs come inside a 16mm film canister well decorated, amazing edition! Well woth the 100 euros, it's limited to 100 copies, so if you want it, you have to hurry.

sevenarts

#129 Post by sevenarts » Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:27 am

Zillertal wrote:The Fluxus set is amazing, the films come in two dvd9, with notes about them, and the discs come inside a 16mm film canister well decorated, amazing edition! Well woth the 100 euros, it's limited to 100 copies, so if you want it, you have to hurry.
Are they DVD-Rs, I presume?

Zillertal

#130 Post by Zillertal » Mon Feb 05, 2007 1:15 pm

what do you mean by dvd-r? recorded DVDs? no, they're not, factory pressed DVDs.

Gregory

#131 Post by Gregory » Mon Feb 05, 2007 1:17 pm

Is it the same 37-film, 120-minute anthology they released on tape? I'm thinking there must be something more if it's two discs.

sevenarts

#132 Post by sevenarts » Mon Feb 05, 2007 5:00 pm

Zillertal wrote:what do you mean by dvd-r? recorded DVDs? no, they're not, factory pressed DVDs.
oh ok, i wondered because doing factory-pressed dvds in an edition of 100 seemed kind of odd.

Gregory

#133 Post by Gregory » Mon Feb 05, 2007 8:37 pm

sevenarts wrote:...doing factory-pressed dvds in an edition of 100 seemed kind of odd.
To me as well, and it makes me wonder if perhaps they did a larger run than 100 and only some are for this limited-edition release. If so, then after the ones in the film cannister sell out, more of the same discs might continue to be offered at a more affordable price. I'll contact Re:Voir and ask.

Zillertal

#134 Post by Zillertal » Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:53 am

the two discs have the films only both dvd9, the quality is exquisite, they have no menus, but I think they were originally made on film to be viewed like this. And they wont release further as far as I understood, it is only this limited edition which should be almost sold by now.

They just released David Perlov diary in 7 DVDs ! and le lit de la vierge will follow later this month I think.

planetjake

#135 Post by planetjake » Thu Mar 08, 2007 12:18 pm

Zillertal wrote:They just released David Perlov diary in 7 DVDs ! and le lit de la vierge will follow later this month I think.
Looked it up and my interest is totally peaked... Care to elaborate?

Zillertal

#136 Post by Zillertal » Tue Mar 13, 2007 6:31 am

As far as I know, it is a 7 dvd set, each dvd has one diary of around 52 minutes length. This in 6 discs, then the seventh disc is of bonus mateiral, there is also a fat booklet in it, and english subtitles for the hebrew parts, and also french, spanish, italian, hebrew (for the english parts) and deutsch. Hope this helps. In regards of quality, re:voir releases even the vhs ones have an incredible image quality.

Baron_Blood

#137 Post by Baron_Blood » Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:50 pm

So many great experimental filmmakers and I've only skimmed the surface. However, my favs so far are Shuji Terayama, Frans Zwartjes, Kenneth Anger, Werner Schroeter, Carmelo Bene, Philippe Garrel, Rinse Dream, Peter Tscherkassky, Sergei Parajanov, and Patrick Bokanowski.

I also recently saw a short film by Jean-Pierre Bouyxou called Satan Bouche un Coin. I thought it was pretty amazing. If only I could find more of his work.

Zillertal

#138 Post by Zillertal » Tue Apr 24, 2007 10:47 am

Numéro 2

#139 Post by Numéro 2 » Tue Apr 24, 2007 11:11 am

Frans Zwartjes on DVD!!!!!! Finally!
I've never heard about him. Let alone his film. But I'm very curious. Could you tell us some more about him?

ouatitw

#140 Post by ouatitw » Tue Apr 24, 2007 12:04 pm

THIS IS GREAT NEWS!!!!! THANK YOU FOR THE INFORMATION!!

I have only seen about 5 of his films and I really loved Living and Visual Training, in fact Living is one of my favorite experimental films. This is the best news I have heard in a while.

Is there anyway to get this in the US?

vertovfan

#141 Post by vertovfan » Wed Apr 25, 2007 9:52 am

Just ordered it on the linked website - had to make a couple guesses when filling in information, but everything turned out OK and I actually received a confirmation in English. I hope that "Engels ondertiteld" means there are English subtitles!

ouatitw

#142 Post by ouatitw » Wed Apr 25, 2007 11:27 am

I just did the same, I will post here again when I receive it. It came out be being $41 with the currency exchange and shipping, not too bad. Thanks.

And according to AltaVista's Dutch to English translation: Engels ondertiteld does in fact mean English subtitled. Although I assume that the documentary is what is subtitled because I do not remember any dialog present in the 4, I have seen. Although maybe dialog is present in the others.

planetjake

#143 Post by planetjake » Sat Apr 28, 2007 4:31 am

I'm becoming more and more interested in early Video Art. I've just finished Nam June Paik's Suite 212 and am quite thrilled with it. I was wondering if anyone here knew of any DVDs out and about which might satisfy -to some degree or another- my newfound hunger for Video Art circa late 60's to early 80's...

I'm aware of the Wegman set.

Zillertal

#144 Post by Zillertal » Sat Apr 28, 2007 6:27 am

at least the book/dvd with excerpts is available to the public, not the full boxset though. There arent many video-art releases... Try the Bill Viola DVDs, Ant Farm, Animal Charm...

and for Numéro 2 an excerpt about Visual Training from AMos Vogel book 'Film as subversive art':
Zwartjes' films are haunting excursions into desperate universes of alienation, in which male and female, while extricably bound to each other, never "connect".Here an impassive Keaton-like male engages insupremely sexual, ominous food orgies with voluptuous, half- nude women whom he paws impotently. Texture of image, crass make-up, and selective lighting further emphasize the expressionist character of the film.

A major new talent in international avant-garde cinema, Zwartjes creates hermetic, obsessive, and "decadent" universes, in which desperate, dissociated males and females, though inextricably bound to each other, never "connect". Here an impassive, Keaton-like figure engages in a sexual, ominous food orgy with voluptuous, half-nude women whom he paws impotently. A mysterious, powerful tension informs the action. Despite non-communication and mutual defilement of the grossest kind, a profoundly humanist statement emerges; compassion for these victims, "partners" in loneliness. Expressionist style, make-up and lighting as well as complex montage heighten the effect of the tragic tableaux, in which tortured non-heroes operate impotently in hostile space, facing us blindly, nakedly, with all defenses down; compelling us, perhaps, to confront ourselves in like manner.

planetjake

#145 Post by planetjake » Thu May 10, 2007 10:18 pm

So, I got my Zwartjes set in the mail today. Super excited to see Living again after all these years, I popped it into my converted (read: hacked) DVD player at home and had some problems. The movies won't play at a regular speed. That is, they all seem to be on fast forward. This isn't the DVD, but the way my player is handling them. I also tried my macbook, which was better but the playback would freeze every 30 or so seconds... Very bummed out right now. I Don't know what to think. What I saw of the transfers looked pretty good.

ouatitw

#146 Post by ouatitw » Thu May 10, 2007 11:01 pm

I got my Zwartjes DVD last Thursday and I am very pleased with it. The transfers are great and I like him even more than I previously did. I have not got around to watching the documentary yet, but from his shorts there is no dialog so subs are not needed.

planetjake as far as I can tell these are Region free NTSC disks so you should be able to play it in any DVD player without problems. Are your other DVDs speed up since you hacked your player.

planetjake

#147 Post by planetjake » Thu May 10, 2007 11:22 pm

No. No other disc in my entire collection speeds up. I have 20 or so DVDs that aren't region 1 and this is the first problem I've had. I am pretty crushed.

putney

#148 Post by putney » Thu May 10, 2007 11:27 pm

got the zwatjes set yesterday...seems they've done a really, really stellar job with it. the docu. is more about him as a teacher (with some painful to watch stuent films being critiqued) but there are bits about his films, and a small bit of a drawing exhibition, a side of him i'd not been able to see, so very hip. he makes a lot of sense in his outlook on creativity. very worthwhile...
the transfers of the films, especially "pentimento" look great. it's really a super-steal...best dvd i've bought in ages, in terms of what it offers.. and yeah, "living" really is a masterpiece. astonishing...

planetjake

#149 Post by planetjake » Fri May 11, 2007 2:57 am

You jerks aren't helping. :wink:

Maybe it's time to get a new player... But I've only had this one for just over a year.

Zillertal

#150 Post by Zillertal » Fri May 11, 2007 6:12 am

I got mine last week, when I tried on my standalone/recorder it didnt had any sound (!) so I tried on another cheap standalone I have at home for my young one and it plays fine... That was bizarre. But anyway, the set is fantastic I truly hope they release more, since this seems to be selling so good, hopefully I can cross my fingers, I'm extremmely curious about In Extremo and Medea.

planetjake, what player do you use in your mac? Did you try running it on VLC player? That is also really odd. I'm not very technically wise, so I'm afraid I cant help you.