It is currently Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:33 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1342 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52 ... 54  Next
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 4:03 pm 

Shrew wrote:
Honestly, the shots of Linda Hamilton in prison in T2 feel more male gazey to me than anything in Wonder Woman. The character isn't glamorized, but there's still a sense of a male gaze taking in her body. It's just a body type that bucks typical conventions of beauty (but has since actually become more popular, and I get the sense Cameron was always into it).

Good to point out at this point that it wasn't long after the production of that Cameron and Hamilton actually married, so there was probably more to it than that as well. Maybe.

Post subject: Comic Books on Film
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 4:52 pm 

solaris72 wrote:
WB has at least 4 movies (5 if he's in "THE BATMAN") featuring the Joker in development, and 3 of them are with Jared Leto...

I’ve heard these are mostly rumors though. Can’t see even one Leto-led Joker getting made.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 5:34 pm 
Not PETA approved

I'm trying to think of any sexualized 'male gaze' shots in the asylum section of T2, and the only thing I can think of that comes close is Hamilton's introduction, where she's introduced with a big closeup of her biceps as she does pull-ups, ie. something you'd more expect for Schwarzenegger. It feels more like a knowing subversion of an action movie convention (substituting a woman in a moment reserved for males) than what I understand to be male gaze.

Regarding Ripley: Weaver deserves the credit for her performance, but not for how the camera photographs her. Ridley Scott sexualized her considerably in the finale of his film, where she runs about in her underwear, in a way Cameron's film never does. Indeed, Cameron's film gives her gender neutral clothing and hair and, in general, refuses to make a sexual object or even subject of her.

The Abyss avoids the male gaze so steadily that even its heroine's topless scene is not sexualized.

It's not til True Lies that Cameron gives in to unfortunate gender nonsense, and his films since are a bit spottier in that regard. Before that, tho', he was very good at avoiding making his female characters empty sex objects, either via screenplay or camera.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:44 pm 

I think there are certainly some valid critiques to be made of Wonder Woman's feminist credentials (For example, Jack Halberstam has a good takedown of the film on his blog which also compares it unfavorably to Monster). However, I think that Patty Jenkins makes a really good point when arguing for a female superhero who doesn't need to be burdened with truckloads of baggage. I'm pretty much over the "hard, tough, and troubled" female superhero like Jessica Jones or even Black Widow in Avengers 2. There is a great interrogation of this tendency in the scene in Clouds of Sils Maria in which Binoche and KStew go see and argue about a hilariously overwrought melodramatic superhero film.

I think Wonder Woman works because it is a joyous celebration of uncomplicated ass kicking that women need after the last election. I think a return to an uncomplicated 90s-style "girl power" has its place in contemporary culture, especially in a big budget popcorn movie.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:20 pm 

I read Cameron's statements as an extension of his previous comments about not liking comic book movies. For a woman to succeed and be included in the most generic lowest common denominator of movies isn't progress and it doesn't elevate women. We need to make better movies.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:34 pm 

He needs to make better movies.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:15 pm 

Well re. women in film: your mother needs to make better movies.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:32 pm 

Considering how long I have to stand with my siblings to get the right picture sometimes, I cringe at the idea of how many takes she'd need to do to feel satisfied.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:42 pm 

R0lf wrote:
I read Cameron's statements as an extension of his previous comments about not liking comic book movies. For a woman to succeed and be included in the most generic lowest common denominator of movies isn't progress and it doesn't elevate women. We need to make better movies.

But isn't Wonder Woman important precisely because it is the first big dumb superhero action movie directed by a woman? Women have already been making "better" movies. Of course there should be more female directors for all kinds of film, but I don't think there is anything particularly novel to most people about a great female-directed art film. How many think pieces are written about how the latest Reichardt or Denis movie is a big deal because it was directed by a woman? There are still important conversations to have about the embarrassingly low percentage of women directors in indie or art film, but it sure is a hell of a lot better than mainstream Hollywood releases.

So if there are going to continue to be big dumb superhero action movies (and of course there will be, just like there were DeMille epics in Classic Hollywood), then it would be nice if a good chunk of them were directed by women. That is progress. The fact that Wonder Woman happens to be much better than most of them is a nice bonus, too.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:33 pm 

Just to revert to THE GAY AGENDA again:

It's progress in the way making LeFou gay in Disney's live action BEAUTY AND THE BEAST is progress when in 1946 we had BEAUTY AND THE BEAST directed by a gay man and starring his boyfriend.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:21 pm 

I hardly think that is an equivalent case.

But yes, I think it is a good thing that Disney movies now have gay characters in them. That doesn't make the new Beauty and the Beast in any way comparable to Cocteau's film. Nor does Patty Jenkins have to measure up to Akerman or Duras when we are talking about the specific achievements of her film. I'm not arguing that Wonder Woman is "progress" for women filmmakers, I'm arguing that it is progress for mainstream Hollywood to have a massively budgeted superhero film with a female director.

Of course I'd take Cocteau and Duras over contemporary Hollywood blockbusters. But that isn't a decision we have to make. We can celebrate the past accomplishments of queer and female filmmakers while still taking note of and even enjoying recent films as well.

Post subject: Re: Comic Books on Film
PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:27 am 

Apparently Scorsese is only involved in some misguided attempt to get Leonardo DiCaprio to be in a WB movie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:42 am 

Isn't he doing a Captain Planet movie?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:51 am 

I don't believe he was ever supposed to be starring in it, as that would be literally the most insane thing to have ever happened.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:52 am 
Dot Com Dom

Does anyone who's followed DiCaprio's career really believe he'd show up in any superhero movie, much less one directed by the Hangover guy?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:23 pm 

Ribs wrote:
I don't believe he was ever supposed to be starring in it, as that would be literally the most insane thing to have ever happened.

*coughs*

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:10 pm 

Well, Leo is starting to look like his buddy Jack Nicholson in some photos, so playing the Joker would somewhat parallel their careers too.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:01 am 

Gavin O' Connor of The Accountant to write and direct the sequel

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:19 pm 
Dot Com Dom

Michelle Williams (!) to co-star in Venom -- well, we all saw that coming

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:56 pm 

JUSTICE LEAGUE - Official Heroes Trailer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:28 pm 

Anyone else find it hilarious, in light of the film's socially aware marketing, that they somehow managed to make Muslims the villains and change the comic's mythology so that it can be more Christian friendly?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:25 pm 

Which villain is Muslim, the Spanish scientist, the German general, or the Greek god in disguise as an English cabinet minister?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:29 pm 

I must have misheard. I thought they said she was Turkish (though even that would make confusing why her notes are in Arabic).

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:30 pm 
Dot Com Dom

Werewolf by Night wrote:
Which villain is Muslim, the Spanish scientist, the German general, or the Greek god in disguise as an English cabinet minister?

Is this film the Burger King Kids Club?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:33 pm 

She's Spanish, though in the scene I think you're thinking of (the raid with Chris Pine in the chemical factory early on) she's working in an Ottoman lab with Turkish test subjects and scientists.

And as to Domino's comment, that description isn't even mentioning the good guys, consisting of a Greek demigoddess, Chris Pine, a French Arab spy (because of course the sneaky stealth guy that doesn't fight fair is French,) a hard-drinking Scottish sharpshooter, and a Native American shaman/demigod.

EDIT 2: Knives and I share a brain!

Last edited by Mungo on Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:39 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1342 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52 ... 54  Next