Assorted Discussions of Films That Never Happened

A subforum to discuss film culture and criticism.
willoneill

Re: Dundee: The Son of a Legend Returns Home (Steve Rogers 2

#251 Post by willoneill » Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:40 pm

This so-called "real" movie has a website, which now lists Chris Hemsworth as playing Wally Jr. The site also has a handful of behind he scenes images, which all look like they're from the shooting of that trailer.

Sticking with my original bet over here.

Big Ben

#252 Post by Big Ben » Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:46 pm

willoneill wrote:This so-called "real" movie has a website, which now lists Chris Hemsworth as playing Wally Jr. The site also has a handful of behind he scenes images, which all look like they're from the shooting of that trailer.

Sticking with my original bet over here.
We now have a teaser with Chris Hemsworth.

McCrutchy

#253 Post by McCrutchy » Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:06 pm

In this day and age, digitally captured films can be done so easily that this may well be a "real" film. I suspect that Hogan might need the money--Linda Kozlowski divorced him in 2014 and got millions, which (albeit according to the Daily Mail) she has reportedly turned into more millions, suggesting she may have kept them afloat during the marriage--and there was an Australian two-part miniseries about Hogan last year which was panned for, amongst other things, terrible casting to play Hogan. Kozlowski apparently just got remarried, as well, which may or may not be another factor for Hogan. All things considered, given the picture those articles paint, I'm not really surprised that this is suddenly happening now.

hearthesilence

Re: Dundee (Dunno, 2018)

#254 Post by hearthesilence » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:37 pm

thirtyframesasecond wrote:I feel you've deliberately missed out Son of Mask here...
I was about to mention Frank Tashlin’s Son of Paleface, but for different reasons - the only Bob Hope film with real greatness in it.

Cde.

#255 Post by Cde. » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:59 pm

McCrutchy wrote:In this day and age, digitally captured films can be done so easily that this may well be a "real" film.
If they're made to this level of production value, digital makes almost no difference in the ease of production.

The only thing that points in the direction of this being real and not a joke is the Screen Australia logo on the website. Hard to believe they'd be involved in an American company's Superbowl ad. Maybe it's an Australian tourism campaign.

thirtyframesasecond

#256 Post by thirtyframesasecond » Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:46 am

I'm just hoping Mental As Anything are doing the movie theme.

pzadvance

#257 Post by pzadvance » Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:39 pm

colinr0380

Re: Assorted Discussions of Films That Never Happened

#258 Post by colinr0380 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:38 am

I suppose that's a fitting end to the ultimate "1985 called and wants its joke back" film pitch! Though it is worth comparing this stunt to one that felt as if it succeeded - Matthew Broderick reprising his Ferris Bueller character in a Superbowl ad (though it seems to be suggesting that he actually was Ferris!) from a few years back. That had the real nostalgia of an actor returning to one of their best known roles and throwing a couple of small ideas out there about how they might have changed or developed over the decades (which of course isn't there in a "Son of..." film!), even if it was just for a quick sketch rather than anything more substantial!

This might inspire an interesting discussion though. Have there been any examples of characters starting off in film who have had their storylines furthered in adverts? I can think of the process working the other way, where characters start in adverts and end up getting a film - Rowan Atkinson's useless Bond character and longsuffering competent sidekick always there with a Barclaycard to buy their way out of trouble wherever they are in the world got turned into the Johnny English and Johnny English Reborn films for example - but I'm trying to think of where it would be essential to watch follow up adverts to get more story!
Last edited by colinr0380 on Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:03 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PfR73

#259 Post by PfR73 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:40 pm

colinr0380 wrote:Have there been any examples of characters starting off in film who have had their storylines furthered in adverts?
Chevy Chase & Beverly D'Angelo reprised their roles as Clark & Ellen Griswold in an advertisement for HomeAway called "Hotel Hell Vacation."
https://vimeo.com/10824928

flyonthewall2983

#260 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:02 pm

I'd be more psyched for a Lightning Jack sequel

thirtyframesasecond

#261 Post by thirtyframesasecond » Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:08 pm

I guess it was eventually made but Lost Soul: The Doomed Journey of Richard Stanley's Island of Dr Moreau is a fascinating account of how the movie he planned was halted four days into production and he was booted off the set. I've never seen John Frankenheimer's film but given that the production of this movie was troubled to say the least (Val Kilmer being the main reason) I've probably dodged a bullet there.

Big Ben

#262 Post by Big Ben » Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:25 pm

thirtyframesasecond wrote:I guess it was eventually made but Lost Soul: The Doomed Journey of Richard Stanley's Island of Dr Moreau is a fascinating account of how the movie he planned was halted four days into production and he was booted off the set. I've never seen John Frankenheimer's film but given that the production of this movie was troubled to say the least (Val Kilmer being the main reason) I've probably dodged a bullet there.
Brando's behavior is legendary too. Not only did he insist on insane demands (He met a two foot tall individual and demanded he be in the film) but also insisted he wear what was essentially an ice cream bucket only to have to removed to reveal his half dolphin nature with a blow hole. Brando spends a little over ninety minutes playing a dolphin man because he insisted upon it. It's insane.

colinr0380

#263 Post by colinr0380 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:17 pm

Thanks PfR73, that was great! I'll have to try that "Shout Yourself Thin!" seminar on my next hotel visit! And who knew that towels folded into the shape of geese could appear so menacing!

flyonthewall2983

#264 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:27 am

pzadvance wrote:Yep, it's fake
And it was awful. Paul Hogan is in it for literally a couple seconds.

aox

#265 Post by aox » Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:13 am

thirtyframesasecond wrote:I guess it was eventually made but Lost Soul: The Doomed Journey of Richard Stanley's Island of Dr Moreau is a fascinating account of how the movie he planned was halted four days into production and he was booted off the set. I've never seen John Frankenheimer's film but given that the production of this movie was troubled to say the least (Val Kilmer being the main reason) I've probably dodged a bullet there.
Thank you for recommending this. Fascinating story. It's up on Amazon Prime if anyone else is looking for it.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

Re: World War Z 2 (David Fincher, 201?)

#266 Post by mfunk9786 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 3:28 pm

Persona

#267 Post by Persona » Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:14 pm

As much as I didn't care for the first one, this kind of bums me out because I really would love to see Fincher do a zombie apocalypse movie.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#268 Post by mfunk9786 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:21 pm

Thankfully I think the market has finally dried up on zombie apocalypse anything for a while - Fincher is too good of a filmmaker for this project and whatever he does instead will be more worthy of his time

DarkImbecile
Ask me about my visible cat breasts

#269 Post by DarkImbecile » Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:42 pm

I hope so, though he’s been having a concerning number of projects fall through lately

flyonthewall2983

#270 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:50 pm

As big, if not bigger a problem is the studio as Paramount is on shaky ground. But as far as Fincher, it's not just concerning but confounding that his projects have had this much trouble. Gone Girl was very successful at the box office. In today's environment is it just considered a fluke that such a film was a hit?

PfR73

#271 Post by PfR73 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:51 pm

That's not new for him, unfortunately. I remember between Panic Room and Zodiac, there was a similar series with Lords Of Dogtown and Mission Impossible III, among others.

flyonthewall2983

#272 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:53 pm

That gap in time is a little easier to understand, as the research phase of Zodiac took a couple years at most before things got rolling on the production end.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#273 Post by mfunk9786 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:03 pm

I thank the lord every day that all the pieces of Zodiac came together and that incredible movie got made

miless

#274 Post by miless » Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:06 pm

I always wanted him to actually make Rendezvous with Rama

Big Ben

#275 Post by Big Ben » Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:15 pm

Fincher is still attached to at least produce more Mindhunter for Netflix correct? I'm not taking the collapse of World War Z as a bad sign because it certainly appeared to a dead film walking for quite some time.