Star Wars: Original/Prequel Trilogies & General Thread

Discussions of specific films and franchises.
dx23

Star Wars: Original/Prequel Trilogies & General Thread

#1 Post by dx23 » Wed May 03, 2006 9:08 pm

This thread is the place to discuss the original (1977-1983) and prequel (1999-2005) trilogies, as well as general Star Wars news and ephemera. The newer films have their own threads:

Episode VII: The Force Awakens
Episode VIII: The Last Jedi
Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker

Rogue One
Solo

The Mandalorian

bunuelian

#2 Post by bunuelian » Wed May 03, 2006 9:28 pm

dx23 wrote:
Wed May 03, 2006 9:08 pm
From dvdtimes.co.uk:
Star Wars - the Original (original) Trilogy in September?
Could we be seeing a DVD release for the original theatrical cuts of the first three Star Wars films later this year? You know, the ones where Han Solo shoots first? According to a poster here this may be a reality.

Take it with a pinch of salt for now - Lucas stated on more than one occasion that the original cuts would never be released, but then again he also said that Star Wars wouldn't appear on DVD full-stop and we all know he went back on that one.

Updates will be posted here as soon as we know more.

Thanks to John Hodson for the heads up on the Forums.

http://www.dvdtimes.co.uk/content.php?contentid=61428" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It seems that the thread was deleted in the HTF, but here is what was said:
"This was just posted on the Classic Horror Film Board by David Colton, editor of USA TODAY:

Original Star Wars back: Han Solo shoots first! (Again...) We're reporting tomorrow that Lucas is releasing the three ORIGINAL Star Wars films -- without the digital tweaks and effects -- on DVD after all. And, once again, Han Solo will be shown shooting first.

I had a bit of this wrong in the original posting, so lemme try again:

-- As we all know, in the original STAR WARS, Han Solo pulls his gun and shoots Greedo in the Cantina scene.

-- When the film was restored and digitally tweaked for a new theatrical run, Lucas added a moment where Greedo fires first, misses, and then Solo shoots Greedo. As if it was self-defense.

-- Fans objected, and when the film hit DVD in 2004, Lucas tweaked it yet AGAIN, and this time Solo and Greedo shot simultaneously.

-- In the upcoming DVD (due in September), the original scene is back. Greedo warns about Jabba, Solo tries to wave him off and then pulls his gun and shoots Greedo dead.

By the way, the story says the transfer of the 'original' version will not be as pristine and scrubbed as the restored DVDs. In fact, at one point there was talk the originals no longer existed.

Anyhow, once we publish (in USA TODAY), tomorrow, I'll post the entire story.

david
'That's the idea.'
I'll believe it when I see it.
OMG SUX0RZ!!1!

Seriously. Until there's real news from the real people, I don't believe anything about the OT. No holding of breath here.

godardslave

#3 Post by godardslave » Wed May 03, 2006 9:41 pm

im more interested in koko the talking gorilla.

dx23

#4 Post by dx23 » Wed May 03, 2006 9:46 pm

godardslave wrote:im more interested in koko the talking gorilla.
Thank you for your insightful comment.

Back to the topic, from thedigitalbits.com Rumor Mill:
5/3/06

So check this out Force fans. This is no joke and we've bent over backwards to confirm it's the real deal. Our very best industry sources have been checking in over the last couple of days - independently, I might add - with word that Lucasfilm and 20th Century Fox are finally going to be releasing the original theatrical versions of the Star Wars films on DVD... good old regular DVD... sometime in the second half of this year. You read that right - the original THEATRICAL versions. THIS year. The ones that George Lucas for a time insisted no longer existed. Look for them to be sold in a box set configuration, and look for the official announcement to come soon, likely in the next week. Don't expect a Blu-ray Disc (or an HD-DVD) version this year however, but still... this is VERY, very cool news indeed. Kudos to Lucasfilm and Fox for finally giving fans of these films what they've been craving on DVD since 1997. Finally, people will have a choice as to which version they want to watch on 5" disc. Awesome news!

We'll post more on this as it comes in, you can be sure. Stay tuned...
and from the starwars website:
This September: Original Unaltered Trilogy on DVD
May 03, 2006

Fans can look forward to a September filled with classic Star Wars nostalgia, led by the premiere of LEGO Star Wars II: The Original Trilogy video game and the long-awaited DVD release of the original theatrical incarnations of the classic Star Wars trilogy.
In response to overwhelming demand, Lucasfilm Ltd. and Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment will release attractively priced individual two-disc releases of Star Wars, The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi. Each release includes the 2004 digitally remastered version of the movie, as well as the original theatrical edition of the film. That means you'll be able to enjoy Star Wars as it first appeared in 1977, Empire in 1980, and Jedi in 1983.

See the title crawl to Star Wars before it was known as Episode IV; see the pioneering, if dated, motion control model work on the attack on the Death Star; groove to Lapti Nek or the Ewok Celebration song like you did when you were a kid; and yes, see Han Solo shoot first.

This release will only be available for a limited time: from September 12th to December 31st. International release will follow on or about the same day. Each original theatrical version will feature Dolby 2.0 Surround sound, close-captioning, and subtitles in English, French and Spanish for their U.S. release. International sound and subtitling vary by territory.

"Over the years, a truly countless number of fans have told us that they would love to see and own the original version that they remember experiencing in theaters," said Jim Ward, President of LucasArts and Senior Vice President of Lucasfilm Ltd. "We returned to the Lucasfilm Archives to search exhaustively for source material that could be presented on DVD. This is something that we're very excited to be able to give to fans in response to their continuing enthusiasm for Star Wars. Topping it off with a new interactive adventure makes September 12 a red-letter day for Star Wars fans."

That's also the day fans will be able to experience the LEGO Star Wars II: The Original Trilogy video game, the action-packed sequel -- filled with tongue-in-cheek humor -- to one of the best selling video games of 2005. To see the trailer to the new game from LucasArts and TT Games, click here!

Click here to order your copy today.
http://www.starwars.com/episode-iv/rele ... 60503.html

flyonthewall2983

#5 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Wed May 03, 2006 10:17 pm

It's official, folks!

Just hours after we posted our story in The Rumor Mill, the official Star Wars website has now officially confirmed it: Lucasfilm and 20th Century Fox are going to be releasing the original, undoctored and digitally-untweaked, theatrical versions of the Star Wars films on standard DVD in September. The films will be available on disc only for a very limited time, starting on September 12th (they'll go out of print on December 31st). The films will be available as individual 2-disc sets (there may also be a box as well). One of the discs in each set will include the recent "2004" special edition version of the film, while the other disc will include the original theatrical version in anamorphic widescreen video, with audio in Dolby Digital 2.0 surround. And yes, on the 2-disc set of A New Hope... Han will shoot first! Here's an official quote from Lucasfilm's Senior Vice President, Jim Ward:

"Over the years, a truly countless number of fans have told us that they would love to see and own the original version that they remember experiencing in theaters. We returned to the Lucasfilm Archives to search exhaustively for source material that could be presented on DVD. This is something that we're very excited to be able to give to fans in response to their continuing enthusiasm for Star Wars."

Well, all I can say is... it's about ___-damned TIME! So much for "those versions don't exist anymore." This is very good news indeed, and we're very happy to see it finally happen. Hats off to George Lucas, Jim Ward and everyone who decided to finally make this a reality on DVD.

And before you ask, it IS DVD only... there's no high-definition version expected this year. Just FYI.

Stay tuned...

Cinesimilitude

#6 Post by Cinesimilitude » Wed May 03, 2006 11:03 pm

OH MAN!!!

I can finally get rid of my dvd-r copies of the laserdiscs!

I can not wait for this!

bunuelian

#7 Post by bunuelian » Wed May 03, 2006 11:06 pm

I guess the whole "original trilogy was destroyed" bit was just a "mistake."

George Lucas can kiss my ass, even as I buy this. :oops:

HerrSchreck

#8 Post by HerrSchreck » Wed May 03, 2006 11:06 pm

Its unbelievable it took this long. George Lucas is nuts anyhoo.

denti alligator

#9 Post by denti alligator » Thu May 04, 2006 12:21 am

I still don't believe it.

rwaits

#10 Post by rwaits » Thu May 04, 2006 12:28 am

This just seems so out of nowhere. Although a huge fan of the originals, I'm one of the few fans that doesn't have a HUGE problem with the "updates," like many others, however, I'm just baffled by Lucas' reluctance to quit tweaking(!), and am therefore totally caught off guard by this announcement. Man, what great news!!

The Invunche

#11 Post by The Invunche » Thu May 04, 2006 1:02 am

bunuelian wrote:I guess the whole "original trilogy was destroyed" bit was just a "mistake."
Yeah, I wouldn't mind an explanation of the magic used to re-create this version that, if we are to believe anything they say, don't exist.

HerrSchreck

#12 Post by HerrSchreck » Thu May 04, 2006 1:06 am

Personally I love getting my hands on nonexistent stuff.

Cobalt60

#13 Post by Cobalt60 » Thu May 04, 2006 1:39 am

Because I think that Lucas is a egotistiacal prick who is WAY less talented then he thinks and has a wired neck I will REALLY believe this when I have them in my hands and am pissing myself in excitement on my way to the register. But, if it is true then I will buy 2 copies, one to watch and another to take to the top of a pyramid in South America and cut the still beating heart out of as an offering to the gods of DVD. I will then, with the digital blood still splattered about my body find Lucas and end his misery as he will no longer be of any use to the world and must pay for his cinematic sins.

pzman84

#14 Post by pzman84 » Thu May 04, 2006 2:37 am

This is all getting ready for the next Star Wars installment:

Episode VII: Give Us More Money :D

Gordon

#15 Post by Gordon » Thu May 04, 2006 3:13 am

Hell freezes over! :shock:

Great news for the fans. Years of whining will finally end - maybe. I wonder if Lowry Digital cleaned up the elements (again)? It's the sound that I am wondering about; will these releases be mono and/or 5.1 EX? I will be really surprised if these releases are identical the 35mm print from '77, '80 and '83, with matte lines, fuzzy lightsabre rotoscoping, etc. It may just be the O-negs were kept in tact, configured to the original cuts and that the 1997 Special Edition and 2005 versions were duped and configured seperately. I will be very interested in seeing the original versions in high-quality for the first time, no P&S, DVD-R, etc.

But they'd better restore that music cue on A New Hope as the Death Star battle commences; that was a painful omission on the DVD.

Very surprising news, indeed.

daniel p

#16 Post by daniel p » Thu May 04, 2006 3:26 am

Gordon McMurphy wrote:It's the sound that I am wondering about; will these releases be mono and/or 5.1 EX?
Looking like DD 2.0

Antoine Doinel

#17 Post by Antoine Doinel » Thu May 04, 2006 7:59 am

Wow, this is great news. I always thought the tweaks were poorly integrated and hugely distracting. I won't entirely believe it until I have the series in my hands, watched it and seen that Lucas hasn't touched the original cuts at all. I'm still half expecing an update annoucing that Lucas has created a new credit scroll or decided on a different soundtrack.

Fletch F. Fletch

#18 Post by Fletch F. Fletch » Thu May 04, 2006 9:02 am

SncDthMnky wrote:OH MAN!!!

I can finally get rid of my dvd-r copies of the laserdiscs!

I can not wait for this!
I hear ya! This is fantastic news indeed! Now, if only they would put on, as extras, all the supplements from the laserdisc SEs... ah, but I guess that would be asking too much.

Wow. Can't wait!

manicsounds

#19 Post by manicsounds » Thu May 04, 2006 9:53 am

when does the unaltered THX-1138 come out then?

Does this also mean The Star Wars Christmas Special is not far off?

denti alligator

#20 Post by denti alligator » Thu May 04, 2006 10:10 am

manicsounds wrote:
Does this also mean The Star Wars Christmas Special is not far off?
Let's hope not! God, please, no.

I'm still pretty shocked about the release of these original versions. I really expected to have to wait until after Lucas's death (which, as a Spielberg terrorist, I was involved in planning). I mean, besides the obvious answer (money), why did Lucas change his mind so quickly?

LightBulbFilm

#21 Post by LightBulbFilm » Thu May 04, 2006 10:19 am

I have this crazy image in my mind of all these extra copies of the DVDs after it's pulled off shelves (it is limited editon) sitting in a wheel barrel right next to this red silk armchair Lucas is sitting in wearing a smoking jacket and an ascot... And every ten minutes he throws another copy of each into the fireplace conveniantly stationed next to his armchair... He laughs... Just laughs. Later he walks into the kitchen, gets some milk goes back to sit down, only to find Harrison Ford opposite Lucas with the wheel barrel yelling "I shot first, God dammit!"... all of a sudden this guy: Paul Blake (II), comes out of nowhere and shoots Ford, gets on his knees in front of Lucas, and begs him for a sub plot in the next Star Wars movies involving either Greedo or Greedo's family...

I don't know.

a7m4

#22 Post by a7m4 » Thu May 04, 2006 11:50 am

I find it surprising how much disdain Lucas seems to have for his fans. Despite constant pleadings from them he refused to release the original version of the films on DVD. So most people finally just seemed to accept that the would never get the originals on DVD so they gave in and bought the new DVD set. And now out of nowhere he decides he is going to release the original versions on DVD? I know it's nothing new for Lucas to milk the Star Wars franchise for all it is worth, but I can't help but find this somewhat offensive and I'm not even a Star Wars fan or have any intention of buying the DVDs.

I'm sure a HD DVD set is already in the works that will be announced right after all his fans have bought this new set.

Fletch F. Fletch

#23 Post by Fletch F. Fletch » Thu May 04, 2006 12:32 pm

denti alligator wrote:I'm still pretty shocked about the release of these original versions. I really expected to have to wait until after Lucas's death (which, as a Spielberg terrorist, I was involved in planning). I mean, besides the obvious answer (money), why did Lucas change his mind so quickly?
I'm wondering if maybe it sunk in that there is a whole network out there of bootleg original trilogy DVDs burned off of various laserdisc editions and the thought of being ripped off in that way spurned Lucas to finally release the original trilogy officially so that he could milk the fanbase yet again.

atcolomb

#24 Post by atcolomb » Thu May 04, 2006 12:46 pm

What Lucas should do in the first place was to release the dvd box set with BOTH the original and the special editions and have the viewer choose which one to watch. The same with THX-1138 where i want to see both versions, i don't think it would have costed that much more in making the discs. #-o

Cinesimilitude

#25 Post by Cinesimilitude » Thu May 04, 2006 1:49 pm

I think I'll buy 3 or 4 of these sets, I do hope they have the holiday special as a hidden feature or something, I've got a dvd-r of it as well, but It would be awesome to have a restored copy of the worst spin-off trash ever committed to celluloid.