Sorry to Bother You (Boots Riley, 2018)

Discussions of specific films and franchises.
mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

Re: Sorry to Bother You (Boots Riley, 2018)

#26 Post by mfunk9786 » Mon Dec 31, 2018 2:55 am

The Elegant Dandy Fop wrote:
Mon Dec 31, 2018 2:54 am
mfunk9786 wrote:
Mon Dec 31, 2018 12:37 am
Worth noting though: from a political and philosophical standpoint, I am thrilled that this sort of thing has found such a robust audience and wouldn't for a second begrudge anyone's enjoyment of it.
I would as its politics are absolutely muddled. I get where the intention and heart is, but the sloppy finale and the fact the most pro-union figure in to the film literally cuckolds the protagonist left me feeling like what's the point or message? The last third of the film almost negates everything the film was building upon and gives no answers other than some riots and protests without any real ideology. I inversely feel like it could be use in arguments about how passive leftist ideology can seem (I say this as someone far left).
I don't think you're altogether wrong there, but it is... suspicious of the right things, maybe that's the best way for me to put it succinctly

dda1996a

#27 Post by dda1996a » Mon Dec 31, 2018 9:38 am

I think everything after the rap song in the party is pretty dissapointing, with the ending in particular being pretty awful. I still liked it for a lot of things it managed to get right (I have a knack for these odd real life world building etc. Synecdoche, NY [come to think of it, any Charlie Kaufman film really, including Jonze and Gondry]).
But where the film ultimately goes feels very lazy and haphazardly thrown at the screen.

Murdoch

#28 Post by Murdoch » Mon Dec 31, 2018 7:37 pm

I liked the film quite a bit but agree about the conclusion. All the Best People brought up a very good point about
SpoilerShow
how the plea on the game show would've worked a lot better as a plot device if Stanfield had simply used the white voice. Maybe there's a larger point the film was trying to make by having him forgo the voice at the end, but if so it's not addressed at all.