Festival Circuit 2018

Discuss films of the 21st century including current cinema, current filmmakers, and film festivals.
The Fanciful Norwegian

Re: Festival Circuit 2018

#226 Post by The Fanciful Norwegian » Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:05 pm

DarkImbecile wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:01 am
Heartbreaking Disappointments (the most crushing of those that definitely won't be playing in Colorado)
Burning, Lee Chang-Dong (Second-most anticipated film of the year, based on its Cannes reception)
Another U.S. festival already snapped up the premiere for this one. Well Go in general doesn't seem very interested in festival rollouts, preferring to get its movies out relatively quickly—in this case, late October. That said, I'm sure it'll get festival play in cities where a film like this wouldn't get a full run.

As for Hidden Man, TIFF is billing it as the international premiere, so I don't see it going to Telluride. (On the basis of its reception so far I wouldn't see it as a Telluride pick in any case, though it's still one of my most anticipated of the year.) I also doubt Telluride will screen Galveston when it already premiered at SXSW several months earlier, though having seen the film I can't say that's any loss.
Last edited by The Fanciful Norwegian on Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DarkImbecile
LightGenius

#227 Post by DarkImbecile » Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:19 pm

The Fanciful Norwegian wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:05 pm
I also doubt Telluride will screen Galveston when it already premiered at SXSW several months earlier, though having seen the film I can't say that's any loss.
That's a shame; I've never seen anything by Laurent, but the cast looked good and I was hopeful Pizzolatto would be able to do something interesting with more constraints on a screenplay than in an 8-hour TV series.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#228 Post by mfunk9786 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:44 pm

Omensetter wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:01 pm
A24 moving Under the Silver Lake to December seems all the more baffling now.
I'm convinced that the director decided to get back in the editing room and that when it releases in December it'll be a different/shorter cut than the one that was panned at Cannes. Because there seems to be no other reason for the move, unless it ends up moving again to March 2019 or something.

bradass

#229 Post by bradass » Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:50 pm

mfunk9786 wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:44 pm
Omensetter wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:01 pm
A24 moving Under the Silver Lake to December seems all the more baffling now.
I'm convinced that the director decided to get back in the editing room and that when it releases in December it'll be a different/shorter cut than the one that was panned at Cannes. Because there seems to be no other reason for the move, unless it ends up moving again to March 2019 or something.
The film screened at Fantasia in Montreal last week as a North American Premiere. The DCP had Canadian distributor logos on it, so it seems this is the final delivery. There is no indication the cut was different or would be different (and it's hard to imagine what could be excised). The film is getting released in France in August as well. For what it's worth, I don't think the film was "panned" at Cannes--mixed, yeah, especially next to the unanimously raved titles--and the Fantasia crowd was definitely in tune with its weirdness. I thought it was pretty great, and surely A24 knew what they were getting into at the script stage.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#230 Post by mfunk9786 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:07 pm

Makes A24's decision all the more puzzling, but glad to hear the positive notice for the film.

BenoitRouilly

#232 Post by BenoitRouilly » Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:11 am

Line up for the Venice Mostra Festival 2018 has been annonced :
https://mubi.com/notebook/posts/venice-2018-lineup

With new films by :
Coens Bros
Lanthimos
Reygadas
Gitaï
Trapero
Tsai Ming-liang (he didn't quit cinema afterall!)
Loznitsa
Wiseman

and the press conference is here :
http://www.labiennale.org/en/news/press ... m-festival

Roger Ryan

#233 Post by Roger Ryan » Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:40 am

As noted in the press release, Welles' The Other Side of the Wind will premiere at the Venice Film Festival along with Morgan Neville's documentary about the making of the film.

Also, Netflix announced both films with begin streaming on its service November 2nd.

criterionsnob

#234 Post by criterionsnob » Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:20 pm

Omensetter
Yes We Cannes

#236 Post by Omensetter » Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:37 am

Which means it will only play Venice and New York---hopefully that's an indicator of its quality? I passed on Miral and The Diving Bell and the Butterfly feels very 2007---I enjoyed watching it at the time, but sometimes I forget it existed to the extent it did. I genuinely don't know what I'll receive with Schnabel.

hearthesilence

#237 Post by hearthesilence » Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:15 pm

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#238 Post by domino harvey » Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:23 pm

La Flor
Dir. Mariano Llinás, Argentina, 2018, 807m
I kept looking at all the other running times well over two hours and wondering why art house movies hate editors, and then this reminded me it could always be worse

DarkImbecile
LightGenius

#239 Post by DarkImbecile » Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:30 pm

Where schedule releases like these are extremely exciting for those attending, I'm discovering that making Telluride the one major festival I attend has the downside of making every other fall festival's schedule release an exercise in extreme masochism as possibilities for TFF (and their day-of-festival schedule release) are eliminated. In this case, confirmation that I won't be able to see the new Bi Gan, Jia Zhangke, Coen Bros., Alice Rohrwacher, Hong Sangsoo (x2), Jafar Panahi, Jean Luc Godard, Frederick Wiseman, and Christian Petzold films early is a real heartbreaker (especially those first three... damn).

swo17

#240 Post by swo17 » Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:34 pm

domino harvey wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:23 pm
La Flor
I kept looking at all the other running times well over two hours and wondering why art house movies hate editors, and then this reminded me it could always be worse
Your #1 pick from last year was 546m

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#241 Post by domino harvey » Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:35 pm

Haha true

zedz

#242 Post by zedz » Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:16 pm

domino harvey wrote:
La Flor
I don’t know why you’re assuming this will be slow or unedited. Llinas’ last feature was really long too, but it was narratively dense with multiple strands and highly edited. It was long because it was four or more films in one.

This is presumably the trilogy of films he’s been working on for years (each of which seem to contain multiple episodes). Sounds like it’s more like a collection of six or more feature films (with pulpy hooks) than one long stretched-out narrative.

Omensetter
Yes We Cannes

#243 Post by Omensetter » Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:42 pm

Here's the synopsis from the Film Society of Lincoln Center:

"A decade in the making, Mariano Llinás’s follow-up to his 2008 cult classic Extraordinary Stories is an unrepeatable labor of love and madness that redefines the concept of binge viewing. The director himself appears at the start to preview the six disparate episodes that await, each starring the same four remarkable actresses: Elisa Carricajo, Valeria Correa, Pilar Gamboa, and Laura Paredes. Overflowing with nested subplots and whiplash digressions, La Flor shape-shifts from a B-movie to a musical to a spy thriller to a category-defying metafiction—all of them without endings—to a remake of a very well-known French classic and, finally, to an enigmatic period piece that lacks a beginning (granted, all notions of beginnings and endings become fuzzy after 14 hours). An adventure in scale and duration, La Flor is a marvelously entertaining exploration of the possibilities of fiction that lands somewhere close to its outer limits."

If you're curious (as I now am), Extraordinary Stories is on MUBI, with its synopsis comparing it to Borges and Pynchon.

knives

#244 Post by knives » Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:49 pm

It really is one of the best movies of the last few decades though it takes a while to capture its genius. I had a good talk with Zedz about it awhile ago and I will try to find it later.

ianthemovie

#245 Post by ianthemovie » Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:49 pm

That sounds like a hard sit to me but I'm thrilled about the rest of the slate. Hoping to catch the Wiseman (did anyone have any idea this film even existed until it was announced as part of the Venice lineup last week?), the Barry Jenkins, the Godard, the Assayas, the Denis... an embarrassment of riches.

senseabove

#246 Post by senseabove » Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:13 pm

Omensetter wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:42 pm
Here's the synopsis from the Film Society of Lincoln Center:

"A decade in the making, Mariano Llinás’s follow-up to his 2008 cult classic Extraordinary Stories is an unrepeatable labor of love and madness that redefines the concept of binge viewing. The director himself appears at the start to preview the six disparate episodes that await, each starring the same four remarkable actresses: Elisa Carricajo, Valeria Correa, Pilar Gamboa, and Laura Paredes. Overflowing with nested subplots and whiplash digressions, La Flor shape-shifts from a B-movie to a musical to a spy thriller to a category-defying metafiction—all of them without endings—to a remake of a very well-known French classic and, finally, to an enigmatic period piece that lacks a beginning (granted, all notions of beginnings and endings become fuzzy after 14 hours). An adventure in scale and duration, La Flor is a marvelously entertaining exploration of the possibilities of fiction that lands somewhere close to its outer limits."

If you're curious (as I now am), Extraordinary Stories is on MUBI, with its synopsis comparing it to Borges and Pynchon.
That's definitely intriguing. I don't see ES on MUBi right now, though?

senseabove

#247 Post by senseabove » Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:28 pm

Oh, huh, MUBI does standalone rentals now, apparently: https://mubi.com/films/extraordinary-stories

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#249 Post by mfunk9786 » Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:27 am

DarkImbecile wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:10 am
and forum favorite Emmanuel Mouret
ROAD TRIP

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#250 Post by domino harvey » Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:29 am