Festival Circuit 2018

A subforum to discuss film culture and criticism.
Aunt Peg

Re: Festival Circuit 2018

#201 Post by Aunt Peg » Wed May 23, 2018 9:10 am

JamesF wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 7:40 am
Excuse the gratuitous self-promotion - Thunderbird Releasing have snagged UK rights to Shoplifters and Burning, as well as Christopher Honorore's Sorry Angel.
Bravo. So happy. This ensures they get the cinema release that is meant for them, with blu ray/dvd release and streaming too.

colinr0380

#202 Post by colinr0380 » Wed May 23, 2018 11:44 am

Brian C wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 2:38 pm
colinr0380 wrote:When you have those three things, what more in life do you need?
If I were a mod, I’d be sorely tempted to move this comment to the SEX, LIES AND VIDEOTAPE thread.
I'm just grateful that we do not have a thread for Angus, Thongs and Perfect Snogging now!
Aunt Peg wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 4:11 am
That would mean limited US cinema release if you are lucky and no Blu Ray/DVD release until Netflix rights expired.
The Blu Ray/DVD aspect is the one that most troubles me about Netflix too. I have my issues with Artificial Eye's arbitrary decision to release certain films only on DVD but at least with that I at least had some way of picking up last year's Cannes competitor, Jupiter's Moon.
Last edited by colinr0380 on Tue May 05, 2020 4:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

yoshimori

#203 Post by yoshimori » Wed May 23, 2018 1:42 pm

Not sure where to put this -- the search function doesn't seem to be working as my searches for "Hamaguchi" and for "Asako" both turned up zero results. Anyway ...

Was just forwarded this link and thought some here might be interested:

Hamaguchi Ryusuke's 38-minute 2016 "Heaven is Still Far Away"

Intriguing premise and a very-well performed scene in a cafe, but, like all his work (for me at least) muddled, ultimately unsatisfying. If interested, you should probably watch it today as it looks like it will leave the site on May 24 (tomorrow).

Aunt Peg

#204 Post by Aunt Peg » Thu May 24, 2018 2:26 am

colinr0380 wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 11:44 am
Aunt Peg wrote:
That would mean limited US cinema release if you are lucky and no Blu Ray/DVD release until Netflix rights expired.
The Blu Ray/DVD aspect is the one that most troubles me about Netflix too. I have my issues with Artificial Eye's arbitrary decision to release certain films only on DVD but at least with that I at least had some way of picking up last year's Cannes competitor, Jupiter's Moon.
Jupiters Moon certainly deserved a Blu Ray release - such an experience for ones senses. I found the actual cinema viewing extraordinary even though the film itself is something of a train wreck. To be honest given it's response at Cannes last year I was amazed that anyone picked up the rights.

Omensetter
Yes We Cannes

#205 Post by Omensetter » Thu May 24, 2018 12:54 pm

Aunt Peg wrote:
Would you really like Netflix to acquire lots of titles? That would mean limited US cinema release if you are lucky and no Blu Ray/DVD release until Netflix rights expired.
I would like for them to acquire as many titles that were always an uphill battle for distribution. If they want to get into the Loznitsa business, they'd be doing me a huge favor.

I'm no fan of Netflix, but the market realities are undeniable. The delay between Cannes premiere and home video release is increasingly widening and the overwhelming majority of individuals do not live in NYC/LA.

I can only take my anti-Netflix stance so far before it devolves into a strand of elitism. I'm happy you get to see Rohrwacher's film on the big screen---it was never on the table for me, nor was it for the majority of individuals. Do we even really know Rohrwacher's intentions regarding how the film was intended to be seen? One would reasonably think that she preferred for it to be watched in the cinema, but I don't know how much she's kicking herself that Netflix picked it up.

Aunt Peg

#206 Post by Aunt Peg » Fri May 25, 2018 5:10 am

I'm pretty sure most directors would prefer people to see their films at the cinema and sadly for most people that is not an option. I'm also pretty confident that directors would also rather see their films to been viewed via streaming, free-to-air TV or home video than audiences not having the opportunity to see them at all. I've read interviews with director's whose films have been sold to Netflix and they appeared really pleased because they know their film is being seen by a greater number of people, but Netflix will not provide figures to them (I've also heard this first hand from a director who was able to have a 'special screening' at a cinema of their film that Netflix had acquired and had already been showing for months). However, Netflix seems out to destroy the cinema & the home dvd/blu ray model. Pretty much everything ends up on the 'small screen' sooner or later anyway.

My May/June edition of Film Comments arrived today and the editor Nicolas Rapold quoted the Ted Sarandos: 'I do have faith that Thierry shares my love for cinema'. Well, I have faith that Thierry Fremaux shares my love of cinema. I have no faith that Ted Sarandos does.

What does surprise me is that in 2018 it it still taking so long for films from major festival to take so long to get shown. I would have thought by now that distributors would have gotten onto the fact that via the internet people want instant access. Certainly things have changed for Hollywood blockbusters that pretty receive much a worldwide releases within a few weeks but the independent market needs to catch up. I'm sure Sony Classics would have made more money out of Call Me By Your Name had they released it earlier than they did but they played it at film festivals during 2017 and by the time it was released some of the potential audience had illegally downloaded it.

It would be great if all the films screened at Cannes and other major festivals could be screen in cinemas around the world soon after their festival premiers, admitably for limited runs for a lot of the films but with the way distribution deals are struck that doesn't seem likely to change anytime soon.

At the end of the day it would be ideal for films to be available for people to see them in the quickest, easiest and legal way in the manner in which best fits them (be it cinema, Blu Ray/DVD or streaming).

Omensetter
Yes We Cannes

#207 Post by Omensetter » Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:26 am

In four separate festival moves...

Alfonso Cuarón’s Roma will be the centerpiece of the 2018 New York Film Festival. It's a New York premiere, meaning it will play some combination of Venice, Telluride, or Toronto. I'd bet it does just Venice and Telluride before its NYFF gala, ala Birdman in 2014.

Damien Chazelle's First Man to open the 2018 Venice Film Festival in Competition.

The Locarno Film Festival unveiled it's lineup last week.

Additionally, the San Sebastian Film Festival unveiled it's lineup, which includes Claire Denis's High Life.
---------
Denis's film, which probably legitimately was not ready for Cannes, could still play more of a market festival, like Toronto, and I wouldn't be surprised if it screens at the NYFF. In 2015, Terrence Davies's masterful Sunset Song played in Competition at San Sebastian and premiered at Toronto. It remains a masterpiece despite being seemingly rejected by almost every major European festival.

Venice, this year in particular, seems to have the envious position of selecting from high profile Cannes "rejects" and Oscar hopefuls. Here's a Variety article that seems to have some good insight. Not mentioned in that Variety article includes the fate of films by Assayas, Costa, Hansen-Løve, Kechiche, Korine, Malick, and Reygadas.

Omensetter
Yes We Cannes

#208 Post by Omensetter » Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:48 pm

These seem like safe-bets going into next week's Venice announcement:

Joel & Ethan Coen --- The Ballad of Buster Scruggs
Rick Alverson --- The Mountain
Olivier Assayas --- Non-Fiction
Jacques Audiard --- The Sisters Brothers
Damien Chazelle --- First Man
Carlos Reygadas --- Where Life is Born
Brady Corbet --- Vox Lux
Alfonso Cuarón --- Roma
Luca Guadagnino --- Suspiria
Jennifer Kent --- The Nightingale
Yorgo Lanthimos --- The Favourite
Mike Leigh --- Peterloo
Mario Martone --- Capri revolution
Roberto Minervini --- What You Gonna Do When the World's on Fire
László Nemes --- Sunset
David Oelhoffen --- Territories
Julian Schnabel --- At Eternity's Gate
Shinya Tsukamoto --- Zan
Florian Henckel von Donnersmarck --- Werk ohne Autor

shootingstar

#209 Post by shootingstar » Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:10 am

Venice days lineup with impressive 6 female directors

“Graves Without a Name,” Rithy Panh (Cambodia, France)

“Keep Going,” Joachim Lafosse (Belgium, France)

“Real Love,” Claire Burger (France)

“Screwdriver,” Bassam Jarbawi (Palestine, U.S., Qatar)

“Pearl,” Elsa Amiel (France, Switzerland)

“Joy,” Sudabeh Mortezai (Austria)

“Jose,” Li Cheng (Guatemala, U.S.)

“Domingo,” Clara Linhart & Fellipe Barbosa (Brazil, France)

“Ricordi?”, Valerio Mieli (Italy, France)

“Three Adventures of Brooke,” Yuan Qing (China, Malaysia)

“Ville Neuve,” Felix Dufour-Laperriere (Canada)

DarkImbecile
Ask me about my visible cat breasts

#210 Post by DarkImbecile » Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:03 am

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#211 Post by domino harvey » Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:18 am

Damn, we have a great year of movies to look forward to based on that lineup alone

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#212 Post by mfunk9786 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:55 am

Just finding out about the existence of the Audiard now and... well, I am going to see that movie.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#213 Post by domino harvey » Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:58 am

;)

DarkImbecile

#214 Post by DarkImbecile » Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:01 am

From my selfish perspective, the Toronto announcements are most important for tipping what films might play Telluride the weekend before; so along those lines (with those among my most anticipated films of the year bolded):

Likely Telluride Films
Cold War, Pawel Pawlikowski (Loved Ida, very excited for this)
Dogman, Matteo Garrone
First Man, Damien Chazelle (The next movie Chazelle makes that I don't love will be the first)
Galveston, Mélanie Laurent
Non-Fiction, Olivier Assayas
Roma, Alfonso Cuarón
Shoplifters, Hirokazu Kore-eda
The Old Man and The Gun, David Lowery (Loved A Ghost Story, hope this lives up to it)

Possible Telluride Films
Can You Ever Forgive Me?, Marielle Heller
Colette, Wash Westmoreland
Girls of the Sun, Eva Husson
Hidden Man, Jiang Wen
Monsters and Men, Reinaldo Marcus Green (I've heard good things)
The Front Runner, Jason Reitman
The Kindergarten Teacher, Sara Colangelo
Wildlife, Paul Dano
What They Had, Elizabeth Chomko
White Boy Rick, Yann Demange

Heartbreaking Disappointments (the most crushing of those that definitely won't be playing in Colorado)
Burning, Lee Chang-Dong (Second-most anticipated film of the year, based on its Cannes reception)
High Life, Claire Denis
If Beale Street Could Talk, Barry Jenkins (This one is a shocker, as Jenkins has been a fixture at Telluride for years even pre-Moonlight)
Shadow, Zhang Yimou
Sunset, László Nemes
The Sisters Brothers, Jacques Audiard
Widows, Steve McQueen

As rough as some of those eliminated possibilities are, there are still many major releases that are still contenders (The Favourite, Suspiria, Peterloo, The Other Side of the Wind, Climax, and my personal dark horse, James Gray's Ad Astra), and surely some out-of-nowhere surprises. Agree with Domino that this year - already pretty solid so far - is looking absolutely stellar through the holidays.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#215 Post by mfunk9786 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:10 am

Could someone who knows TIFF much better than I explain the distinction between a Gala and Special Presentation. I realize the former tends to involve a red carpet premiere, etc, but it seems odd that some already panned films (Everybody Knows, for instance) would be slotted as Galas and some hotly anticipated ones (If Beale Street Could Talk, for instance) would be slotted as Special. Is the line in the sand just which films they could get the stars and filmmakers to be in attendance for regardless of (anticipated or known) quality of the film?

Because if that's the case, DarkImbecile, perhaps TIFF has reduced something like If Beale Street Could Talk to sub-Gala status because it won't be premiering there, and will instead premiere at Telluride. Just a thought, I could of course be way off base.

DarkImbecile

#216 Post by DarkImbecile » Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:16 am

mfunk9786 wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:10 am
Because if that's the case, DarkImbecile, perhaps TIFF has reduced something like If Beale Street Could Talk to sub-Gala status because it won't be premiering there, and will instead premiere at Telluride.
Man, I wish, but in addition to the gala/special split (which I'm not sure but I think does have to do with who is attending, and Beale Street has no A-listers in the cast), TIFF's announcements list each film as a World, North American, International, or Canadian premiere, the first two of which eliminate a film as a Telluride possibility (and Jenkins' film is a TIFF World Premiere).

Omensetter
Yes We Cannes

#217 Post by Omensetter » Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:32 am

Whoever's distributing The Favourite is supremely confident in it awards-wise, so I think it's more likely to screen at Telluride than not. Its screening at the NYFF is a NY premiere and it's poised for Venice. I doubt it'll play just the more prestige festivals when it has a release date and expectations. Birdman did a similar strategy in 2014 of Venice, Telluride, and big NYFF slot.

Omensetter
Yes We Cannes

#218 Post by Omensetter » Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:01 pm

The sheer deliriousness of potentially quality films makes it seem more and more likely that Ad Astra will remain in 2019, unless some would-be Oscar player sux. It seems more suited to close the NYFF, although I'm curious if they're trying to snag the WP of The Other Side of the Wind for that slot.

A24 moving Under the Silver Lake to December seems all the more baffling now. There's a probably a slim chance it'll pick up screens in arthouse theatres when it would have easily played in the summer.

To hammer home how many potential quality films are on the horizon, the following directors have films debuting this year that have not opened theatrically (in the U.S.): Reygadas, Denis, Jenkins, Leigh, Lanthimos, Noé, von Trier, Nemes, Guadagnino, Cuarón, Coens, Loznitsa, Ceylan, Robert Mitchell, Godard, Rohrwacher, Chazelle, Farhadi, Audiard, Pawlikowski, Assayas, Lee Chang-dong, Spike Lee, Zhangke, Hamaguchi, Hansen-Løve, Dvortsevoy, Panahi, Alverson, Kore-eda, McQueen...

The Fanciful Norwegian

#219 Post by The Fanciful Norwegian » Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:05 pm

DarkImbecile wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:01 am
Heartbreaking Disappointments (the most crushing of those that definitely won't be playing in Colorado)
Burning, Lee Chang-Dong (Second-most anticipated film of the year, based on its Cannes reception)
Another U.S. festival already snapped up the premiere for this one. Well Go in general doesn't seem very interested in festival rollouts, preferring to get its movies out relatively quickly—in this case, late October. That said, I'm sure it'll get festival play in cities where a film like this wouldn't get a full run.

As for Hidden Man, TIFF is billing it as the international premiere, so I don't see it going to Telluride. (On the basis of its reception so far I wouldn't see it as a Telluride pick in any case, though it's still one of my most anticipated of the year.) I also doubt Telluride will screen Galveston when it already premiered at SXSW several months earlier, though having seen the film I can't say that's any loss.
Last edited by The Fanciful Norwegian on Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DarkImbecile

#220 Post by DarkImbecile » Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:19 pm

The Fanciful Norwegian wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:05 pm
I also doubt Telluride will screen Galveston when it already premiered at SXSW several months earlier, though having seen the film I can't say that's any loss.
That's a shame; I've never seen anything by Laurent, but the cast looked good and I was hopeful Pizzolatto would be able to do something interesting with more constraints on a screenplay than in an 8-hour TV series.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#221 Post by mfunk9786 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:44 pm

Omensetter wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:01 pm
A24 moving Under the Silver Lake to December seems all the more baffling now.
I'm convinced that the director decided to get back in the editing room and that when it releases in December it'll be a different/shorter cut than the one that was panned at Cannes. Because there seems to be no other reason for the move, unless it ends up moving again to March 2019 or something.

bradass

#222 Post by bradass » Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:50 pm

mfunk9786 wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:44 pm
Omensetter wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:01 pm
A24 moving Under the Silver Lake to December seems all the more baffling now.
I'm convinced that the director decided to get back in the editing room and that when it releases in December it'll be a different/shorter cut than the one that was panned at Cannes. Because there seems to be no other reason for the move, unless it ends up moving again to March 2019 or something.
The film screened at Fantasia in Montreal last week as a North American Premiere. The DCP had Canadian distributor logos on it, so it seems this is the final delivery. There is no indication the cut was different or would be different (and it's hard to imagine what could be excised). The film is getting released in France in August as well. For what it's worth, I don't think the film was "panned" at Cannes--mixed, yeah, especially next to the unanimously raved titles--and the Fantasia crowd was definitely in tune with its weirdness. I thought it was pretty great, and surely A24 knew what they were getting into at the script stage.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#223 Post by mfunk9786 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:07 pm

Makes A24's decision all the more puzzling, but glad to hear the positive notice for the film.

BenoitRouilly

#225 Post by BenoitRouilly » Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:11 am

Line up for the Venice Mostra Festival 2018 has been annonced :
https://mubi.com/notebook/posts/venice-2018-lineup

With new films by :
Coens Bros
Lanthimos
Reygadas
Gitaï
Trapero
Tsai Ming-liang (he didn't quit cinema afterall!)
Loznitsa
Wiseman

and the press conference is here :
http://www.labiennale.org/en/news/press ... m-festival