All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:36 pm 

Ridley Scott's All The Money In The World

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:28 pm 

That's terrible make up on Spacey.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:33 pm 

Finch wrote:
That's terrible make up on Spacey.
I guess they didn't have enough money in the budget to do a good job in that department.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:52 pm 

The make up on Guy Pearce in Prometheus was shoddy as well.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:01 pm 

Can someone point me to a good example of this?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:00 am 

Brad Pitt in Benjamin Button is probably the best one out there, though it's a blend of prosthetics and CGI, I believe. Johnny Knoxville in Bad Grandpa is another good example, if a little rubbery looking.

It's funny because with all the talent and money out there, Hollywood almost always seems to have a hard time completing this particular task convincingly. Agreed that Spacey looks horrendous here.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:11 am 

A great job of aging a young acting talent onscreen is the case of Agent Carter in Captain America: The Winter Soldier.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:10 pm 

There will be no Oscar campaign for Spacey in this

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:15 pm 

They can at least sell it on how he looks nothing like himself in it.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:58 pm 

Have the distributors changed the marketing yet? The trailer made such a big deal out of the Spacey reveal. He's so unrecognizable that they could probably do what they did with Gary Oldman in Scott's Hannibal and leave him uncredited.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:56 pm 

Sony's pulled this from the AFI Film Festival, but it will still come out as scheduled.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:05 am 

This hasn't been a good year for Ridley.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:40 pm 

They've recast Kevin Spacey with Christopher Plummer, and the movie is still coming out in 45 days

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:53 pm 

Ribs wrote:
They've recast Kevin Spacey with Christopher Plummer, and the movie is still coming out in 45 days

I don't see how this is possible, unless they're counting on including a whole lot of Spacey's footage on the grounds that he's unrecognizable in that hilarious make-up. This might just bump this film from 'of no interest whatsoever' to 'trainwreck!'

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:55 pm 
Dot Com Dom

What are they talking about with Wind River-- that came and went before the Weinstein scandal. Did something happen recently?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:57 pm 

zedz wrote:
Ribs wrote:

I don't see how this is possible, unless they're counting on including a whole lot of Spacey's footage on the grounds that he's unrecognizable in that hilarious make-up. This might just bump this film from 'of no interest whatsoever' to 'trainwreck!'

According to the article he only worked 8-10 days on it, so maybe it could work if Plummer manages to do it all in that time. And plus he won't have to do all that makeup too so that could cut down time as well.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:58 pm 
Dot Com Dom

I can def see Plummer getting an Oscar nom if he is even remotely okay just for jumping in like this at the 11th hour

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:08 pm 

domino harvey wrote:
What are they talking about with Wind River-- that came and went before the Weinstein scandal. Did something happen recently?

Article from Deadline

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:29 pm 

willoneill wrote:
domino harvey wrote:

Article from Deadline

Looks like they're leveraging the scandal for an ingenious 'For Your Consideration' campaign to me.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:31 pm 

It won't work - first, because Wind River doesn't have the enthusiasm Hell or High Water somehow achieved, and second because despite the theatrics it's a movie that made a lot of money for Weinstein and just by scrubbing his name from it doesn't magically not make him a producer when he was credited as such for literal months after release.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:37 pm 

Ribs wrote:
It won't work - first, because Wind River doesn't have the enthusiasm Hell or High Water somehow achieved, and second because despite the theatrics it's a movie that made a lot of money for Weinstein and just by scrubbing his name from it doesn't magically not make him a producer when he was credited as such for literal months after release.

I agree with that, but I think that they're trying to artificially create an "Oscar Narrative" around a film that's been and gone (and wasn't that good in the first place), including its topical political correctness, a 'poor good filmmakers versus evil rapey corporation' David & Goliath story (that's resolved way too neatly to be compelling, but whatever), and the - ahem - 'fact' that this was a movie tipped for a lot of awards attention (really?). Mostly, it's a way of weaving yesterday's film into the biggest Hollywood story of the year.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:42 pm 

zedz wrote:
Ribs wrote:

Apparently Spacey only shot 8 or 9 days, and mostly without the other major stars. Say what you want about the quality of his films, but Ridley Scott is pretty efficient, so if this could work in any situation, this is probably the one.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:15 pm 

willoneill wrote:
zedz wrote:
Ribs wrote:

Apparently Spacey only shot 8 or 9 days, and mostly without the other major stars. Say what you want about the quality of his films, but Ridley Scott is pretty efficient, so if this could work in any situation, this is probably the one.

Yup. I think this will be easier than people are claiming. If it were difficult I doubt Scott would be doing it.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:58 pm 

When is the most recent example of something like this occurring on this scale? Back to the Future? There Will Be Blood? Not even sure if either of those were this much of a last chance high wire act.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:01 am 

I mean, it's literally unprecedented on this scale and timetable, but probably September's infamous being-shot-then-totally-reshot-with-slightly-different-cast is in the mix.