On the Basis of Sex (Mimi Leder, 2018)

Discuss films of the 21st century including current cinema, current filmmakers, and film festivals.
domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

On the Basis of Sex (Mimi Leder, 2018)

#1 Post by domino harvey » Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:51 am

On the Basis of Sex, the RBG biopic with Felicity Jones

movielocke

Re: Trailers for Upcoming Films

#2 Post by movielocke » Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:33 pm

domino harvey wrote:On the Basis of Sex, the RBG biopic with Felicity Jones
So with that trailer now that the actress race is over for 2018, who’s winning 2019?

Lost Highway

#3 Post by Lost Highway » Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:34 pm

I don't get Felicity Jones.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#4 Post by domino harvey » Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:40 pm

She's a good actress with a good agent and one of the most beautiful women alive. What's not to get?

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

Re: On the Basis of Sex (Mimi Lederer, 2018)

#5 Post by mfunk9786 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:44 pm

movielocke wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:33 pm
So with that trailer now that the actress race is over for 2018, who’s winning 2019?
That seems really optimistic - Mimi Leder's made some real junk in her career and has never made a film that's anywhere close to Oscar contention despite trying very very hard with stuff like Pay It Forward. This is riding the somewhat inexplicable wave of sub-Wonkette meme-ified hero worship of Ruth Bader Ginsburg so there's sure to be an audience for it, but it could be totally ignored with a Christmas release date unless it's really, really good.

That said, that documentary has been playing at my local arthouse for what feels like a century now, so maybe I am underestimating the level of hysteria around some kind of 'the year of RBG' narrative.

Also, I don't get Felicity Jones either. I think LQ has compared her to a wet noodle in the past, and she was DOA when she hosted SNL. And her presence as the lead in Rogue One wasn't doing that already troubled film any favors.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

Re: On the Basis of Sex (Mimi Leder, 2018)

#6 Post by domino harvey » Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:47 pm

Jones is great in her big scene in True Story-- for the whole movie it's a complete mystery why she took such a thankless role and then she gets an amazing monologue near the end and just kills it. A great example of a mediocre film with a great scene-stealing supporting performance

Lost Highway

#7 Post by Lost Highway » Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:04 pm

I haven't seen True Story or The Theory of Everything but everything else I've seen her in, she didn't strike me as special. It doesn't help that she was horrendously miscast in the Star Wars movie. She has a girl-next-door prettiness, she's not my idea of "one of the most beautiful women alive" (not that there is anything wrong with that, of course)

knives

#8 Post by knives » Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:04 pm

I'm actually kind of happy to see Leder getting another theatrical release. She's not a great director, but also didn't deserve to be damned to television.

movielocke

#9 Post by movielocke » Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:20 pm

mfunk9786 wrote:
movielocke wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:33 pm
That seems really optimistic - Mimi Leder's made some real junk in her career and has never made a film that's anywhere close to Oscar contention despite trying very very hard with stuff like Pay It Forward. This is riding the somewhat inexplicable wave of sub-Wonkette meme-ified hero worship of Ruth Bader Ginsburg so there's sure to be an audience for it, but it could be totally ignored with a Christmas release date unless it's really, really good.

That said, that documentary has been playing at my local arthouse for what feels like a century now, so maybe I am underestimating the level of hysteria around some kind of 'the year of RBG' narrative.

Also, I don't get Felicity Jones either. I think LQ has compared her to a wet noodle in the past, and she was DOA when she hosted SNL. And her presence as the lead in Rogue One wasn't doing that already troubled film any favors.
Well if the white dude critics (85% of population) pre decide months in advance they’re going to hate this film and they all take epic shits on it no-matter-what then all bets are off, of course. Awards films bomb every year and this could be one of the innumerable failed awards bait films, especially if the feral consensus turns against it.

On the other hand my wife texted me earlier that she is already setting up a dec 26th pilgrimage with her mom, aunts, cousins and friends to see this in the best theatre they can find (one of the arclights) which they haven’t done since les Mis. And they’ll do that even if they hear its shit.