New Films in Production, v.2

A subforum to discuss film culture and criticism.
The Fanciful Norwegian

Re: New Films in Production, v.2

#51 Post by The Fanciful Norwegian » Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:31 am

I know Jiang Wen's Let the Bullets Fly has some fans here (and deservedly so), so they may like to know there's a sequel on the way. It's called Gone With the Bullets and it starts shooting next month, after various delays. The setting is shifted to 1920s Shanghai (which was hinted at the end of the first film) and involves an election and beauty pageant within the local prostitution racket. Jiang and Ge You are returning, and Wen Zhang (the son from Ocean Heaven and the gay-but-we're-not-going-to-say-he's-gay-because-this-is-a-mainland-film best friend from Love Is Not Blind) is a confirmed addition. There's also an as-yet-unannounced female lead who may or may not be Gong Li. Robert de Niro, of all people, is rumored to be joining too—he was spotted in China a few weeks back hanging out with Jiang, but nothing's official. The weirdest rumor of all came out today: the cast is training with a "top Broadway choreographer." Someone asked Jiang if the film is actually a musical and he neither confirmed nor denied it. So there's that. Of course musical numbers aren't unexpected in a film about old Shanghai, and the first film had that outstanding drum sequence near the end.

Murdoch

#53 Post by Murdoch » Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:10 am

I know you've all been waiting for this: The third installment of Atlas Shrugged is on its way to becoming a reality through Kickstarter, complete with a special thanks to Glenn Beck in the description.

ianungstad

#55 Post by ianungstad » Sat Oct 19, 2013 2:10 pm

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/g ... vey-649447" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Why does anyone sell films to the Weinstein company? Harvey Scissorhands strikes again; this time on Grace of Monaco.

Professor Wagstaff

#56 Post by Professor Wagstaff » Sat Oct 19, 2013 2:45 pm

I think with most of these directors they don't wan to believe they'll be one of the victims but one of the success stories that Harvey pitches to them: a Tarantino, a Matt Damon, or that they'll be directing this year's "The King's Speech". I reread "Down and Dirty Pictures" over the summer and it's difficult to argue with the spell that Harvey creates, promising filmmakers these incredible opportunities and an idyllic production schedule before he totally screws you in post-production and release. All the victims in that book have the same attitude: I didn't think it could happen to me.

flyonthewall2983

#58 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Mon Nov 04, 2013 3:25 pm

Film adaptation of Motley Crue's The Dirt moving forward with Jackass director attached. I know this is a passion project for the guy, but holy shit David Fincher could have done this justice. He thrives on telling stories about unlikable people.

gcgiles1dollarbin

#59 Post by gcgiles1dollarbin » Mon Nov 04, 2013 4:15 pm

flyonthewall2983 wrote:Film adaptation of Motley Crue's The Dirt moving forward with Jackass director attached. I know this is a passion project for the guy, but holy shit David Fincher could have done this justice. He thrives on telling stories about unlikable people.
Not a Mötley Crüe fan, but The Dirt is one of the finest guilty pleasures and sleazy rock bios I have ever read. It was passed among me and my bandmates years ago and has remained legendary and in-joked since then, an essential part of our interpersonal communications. I can imagine an absurdly funny movie emerging from it.

dadaistnun

#61 Post by dadaistnun » Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:16 am

I guess this was announced months ago, but I just now heard about it: Todd Haynes is filming an adaptation of Patricia Highsmith's The Price of Salt starring Cate Blanchett and Rooney Mara (who replaced Mia Wasikowska.

flyonthewall2983

#62 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:39 pm

Production on the next Fast & Furious, in what would have been it's seventh installment, has been halted indefinitely due to Paul Walker's death.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#63 Post by domino harvey » Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:40 pm

Okkervil River frontman has set-up a Kickstarter to fund his in-progress short film, an 80s kids adventure inspired by Explorers, the Goonies, et al. It's already 75% funded in three days

ianungstad

#64 Post by ianungstad » Fri Dec 13, 2013 2:31 am

This seems to have flown under the radar. There's a few tweets on twitter about casting calls and auditions for Roman Polanski's next project (a play). Apparently it's a French language musical remake of Fearless Vampire Killers. (Weird but possibly cool?) If it's any good; hopefully he could turn it into a film.

Roger Ryan

#65 Post by Roger Ryan » Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:13 am

ianungstad wrote:This seems to have flown under the radar. There's a few tweets on twitter about casting calls and auditions for Roman Polanski's next project (a play). Apparently it's a French language musical remake of Fearless Vampire Killers. (Weird but possibly cool?) If it's any good; hopefully he could turn it into a film.
If it's successful, Adam Shankman will direct a film version starring John Travolta.

jindianajonz
Jindiana Jonz Abrams

#67 Post by jindianajonz » Fri Dec 13, 2013 6:43 pm

Are you talking about the Naked Gun reboot or the Rent A Ghost movie mentioned in the article?

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#68 Post by domino harvey » Fri Dec 13, 2013 6:44 pm

I would rather watch whatever Rent a Ghost is than a remake of the Naked Gun

matrixschmatrix

#69 Post by matrixschmatrix » Fri Dec 13, 2013 6:56 pm

Man I like Tom Lennon a lot but somehow almost everything he writes is depressing

jindianajonz
Jindiana Jonz Abrams

#70 Post by jindianajonz » Fri Dec 13, 2013 7:31 pm

domino harvey wrote:I would rather watch whatever Rent a Ghost is than a remake of the Naked Gun
You sure about that?

ianungstad

#71 Post by ianungstad » Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:21 am

Well this sounds terrible. Josef Gordon Levitt to produce and direct The Sandman. Script by David Goyer. Levitt to play Dream. How can this NOT be a total train wreck?

Ovader

#72 Post by Ovader » Tue Dec 24, 2013 5:04 pm

Mohsen Makhmalbaf has won financing from Eurimages for new his film 'The President'; about an overthrown Caucasus state dictator marks Makhmalbaf’s first movie in English.

Kirkinson

#73 Post by Kirkinson » Tue Dec 24, 2013 11:54 pm

A bit more on that film:
The President is set in a fictional Caucasus country where a dictator whose regime is brought down by a coup d’etat meets the people of the country he had previously subjugated.

Makhmalbaf says that the film is about peace and reconciliation and adds, "after the collapse of a regime, whether it be a king or a president or a despot, the violence used against them by the people of these countries (as in Libya) will result in new violence later on. The new ruling party, having witnessed this, will not give up power, as they are frightened to incur the same violent end. They will resort to every possible way to hang on to power, even by killing the people of their own country if necessary."
Shooting starts in February, in Georgia.

The Narrator Returns

#74 Post by The Narrator Returns » Tue Dec 31, 2013 6:11 pm

First still from Guardians of the Galaxy

bainbridgezu

#75 Post by bainbridgezu » Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:45 pm

Takashi Miike's take on Yotsuya Kaidan is now in post-production.